No Engine Power

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaCounty

Reaction score
I have a 1985 VMAX that someone put new cams in. Since they put these in the motor has absolutely no power. You can actually stop the running motor by putting your hand over the exhaust pipe.

Compression is very low 92-118. Valve adjustments are close but not close enough.

Leak down tests are okay.

Any ideas on what the problem is? What should I check next?

Thanks

I would say either the cams weren't installed correctly...perhaps the timing is incorrect.

Welcome to the forum.

Without first, hands on experience, it's gonna be a tough call unless someone like Sean Morley pops in with a similar experience... It could be a lot of different things including the reassembly work that was done..:ummm:

Agreed. Just the mention of saying the cams were changed makes them suspect. They aren't the simplest thing to set for someone not used to them. Very easily checked if you can get the valve covers lifted up so the alignment holes can be seen.

Sean

Hmmm... potentially more issues. There is no way the #1 piston is at TDC when the crank alignment marks are aligned.

Probably just have it timed wrong. Easy mistake to do and even I do it on occassion.

Sean

Dude, Engine timing is out. If leak down tests are good and compression is low the valve train is outa wack enough for the valves to be slightly open at Top dead center compression stroke.Not good and will carbon up your valves. Cams have two little dots at the ends of them. They should line up with the casting (horizontal) Go to www.vmaxoutlaw.com. They have tech manuals in PDF. Really not hard to do.

okay, new question. The cams were installed incorrectly, way off. I set the rear cylinder per specs and when I try to rotate the motor counter clockwise 430 degrees to T2 to set the front cams, I hit a hard stop like something is stuck in the timing chains. It stops hard.... Any ideas? I know that you need to keep the chains tight so they don't wrap around the crank. It appears to be coming from the reara cylinder.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance....

If you set the rear cams already and need to rotate the setup to T2 then you probably need to loosen the cam tensioner and let the chain slip over the cams until you get it close enough to line up.

Sean

so should I not be putting the rear cam tensioner in before I rotate to T2? seems I tried that and the chain was slipping off the gear ar I rotated it. I actually had to use a wrench to get the rear intake aligned. Could it be they have the wrong cams to begin with?

If you set the rear cams already and need to rotate the setup to T2 then you probably need to loosen the cam tensioner and let the chain slip over the cams until you get it close enough to line up.

Sean

Why would I get a hard stop from rotating the engine? I mean you can't move it???

another question. I am assumming the cam timing marks are on the edge of the cam, that look like a balancing drilled hole, not the mfg alignment holes that are the same on all of the cams?

These are very tiny holes in the flange of the cam that do indeed look like balancing holes. The small holes are probably 1/16" and the larger holes (front heads) are probably 3/16".

The valves are hitting probably on the other head is why you can't get it to rotate.

You can remove the tensioner on both heads to start. You need to set the rear cams with the mark on T1. Install the tensioner (gasket too) - and preload bolt, and guide. Then you rotate to T2 as directed and set the cams and install that tensioner and guide.

Sean

Back