Noise/vibration during decelleration

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gbannish

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm getting some noise and vibration whenever I let off the throttle, in any gear, or if decelerating with the clutch lever pulled. I can feel it in the foot pegs and hear it even with ear plugs. I noticed during a ride on the highway yesterday. I wondering whether something could be wrong or whether I'm imagining things.

I replaced the final drive fluid last year with Castrol(?) synthetic 75w90, and it's still topped off this morning but looks a little dark/not new.

What could be causing the noise?

Help appreciated,
Greg

First remove your ear plugs :rofl_200:& check tire balancing weights some times they fall off.

Hi,

I'm getting some noise and vibration whenever I let off the throttle, in any gear, or if decelerating with the clutch lever pulled. I can feel it in the foot pegs and hear it even with ear plugs. I noticed during a ride on the highway yesterday. I wondering whether something could be wrong or whether I'm imagining things.

I replaced the final drive fluid last year with Castrol(?) synthetic 75w90, and it's still topped off this morning but looks a little dark/not new.

What could be causing the noise?

Help appreciated,
Greg

If the noise is a loud whining noise on deceleration, it could be a loose nut at the differential. On the drive shaft side. My 94 had this and drove me nuts. Sean came up with the answer, simply re-torque that nut can solve this.. We had a spare differential thanks to naughtyG so a swap was a quick fix. The one we ( CaptainKyle and I) took out did have a loose nut.

Thanks for all the replies. It turned out to be a loose nut (pinion gear nut), exactly as SpecOps13 suggested. I never would have been able to fix without the help, much appreciated.

To access, I removed the rear brakes, rear wheel, left shock, left muffler, drained the differential fluid (no metal parts = good), then removed the 4 nuts holding the differential on and slid out the differential. The driveshaft came right with it. After yanking out the driveshaft, I noticed the pinion gear nut was completely loose, could remove with my fingers. I tightened, using an air gun because it was hard to tighten without turning the gear. (Yes, probably a horrible idea to use an impact gun on differential parts!).

Reassembly turned out to be a royal pain in the ass because I couldn't align the front of the driveshaft with the universal joint. After fighting it for two hours, using screwdrivers and coathangers poking in from the front boot to coax the universal joint into position, I was finally able to get it connected. A quick trip to the gas station confirmed that the noise is now gone and everthing working great.

Again, much thanks to this group for the advice, allowing my novice skills to fix my bike (for free) and go for a ride on this holiday!

Later,
Greg

Quote "It turned out to be a loose nut (pinion gear nut), exactly as SpecOps13 suggested" This old fella has helped lots of people on the forum, he has my respect in every way.......

Experience will help get the shaft in easier next time. Takes about 30 seconds or so normally.

Sean

LOL, it's all from experience. The shaft needs to become an extension of your fingers so you can "feel" the end, lift it up, and then rotate and push in. Once you get it started in you "pop" it in past the retaining clip and done.

Sean

I'm good at the 30 second insertion too, problem is it's already falling back out after 30 seconds:bang head:

To be absolutely fair, I only passed info on that I'd learned from the great people here. Sean saved me with his diagnosis of my 94. It had the same problem... I honestly think if I wouldn't have found that fix I would have shot the bike to put it out of my misery...:rofl_200:

Back