Noobie question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianSteel

Reaction score
Evening guys and gals. I know this question has been posted before, but I've been giving it some thought and I've decide to ask it anyway.

Long story short, I'm about a month away from taking my Motorcycle safety course program and then getting my licence. I'm 34 years old so I'm a bit late to the game I know lol.

My buddies have been asking me to bite the bullet, take the course and join them for years now. A few months ago while looking and deciding what exactly I wanted to ride, I came across the Vmax...Fell in love with it instantly. I knew from the start that was the bike I wanted. Good taste huh? :p

Now, my problem... While my riding friends general approve of my new found love of the Vmax, I've been reading a ton of stuff on-line (Some on this forum) that the Vmax is not a good starter bike. To tell you the truth...I agree and see the logic. But here is the thing, I like to think of myself as a level heading guy for the most part, meaning that I treat any machine with the respect it deserves. I'm sure thats why my friends don't see much of a problem with me getting a Vmax as a first bike. They say the normal "Take it slow" or "Any bike is to much if you don't respect it"

I'm a fairly big guy. 6 feet tall and about 290lb, Personally I think I'd look stupid starting on a small bike and the Vmax will always be the machine I want. So why wait?

As I've stated I'll be doing my safety program in a few weeks and in no time at all it will be time to shop around for a used bike.

While I have zero experience on a motorcycle, I've grown up with manual quads and manual cars ect. so I'm confident I'll pick it up fairly quickly.

I was so excited that I found a bike that I loved, and really made me want to start riding....Only to read that it's not a great bike to start on lol.

The way I see it, If I take my time and really get to know the bike then I should be fine..There is a difference between a 16 year old "new driver" and a 34 year old one IMO.

So I guess the question is simple to you guys/gals...

34 years old
6 foot 1, 290LB
In love with the MAX....Can I make this thing work as a first bike?

Sorry so long, and I know it's been asked many times over...Just needed to give my background.

Thanks all, hope to post here often.

Respect it get used to the brakes you said your a level headed guy so no problems there Don't drink and drive and mostly just enjoy your bike don't be persuaded into anything your uncomfortable with such as hitting twisties fast and hard or racing give that time .

If you have zero experience I'd say it's not the best starter bike but for sure doable.

Take your time practicing. I wouldn't be too eager to hit the road. Maybe a closed course, parking lot, etc. It's a lot of weight to throw around and handle.

The power isn't a problem in my opinion. Under 6500 rpm it's a docile cruiser. Learning how to turn, stop, shift, lean....basic handling skills are what you need to master and be able to do without thinking about it. When you're on the road and a situation appears you need to be able to react instinctively. You won't have time to think. That's why having some time in on a closed course is imperative. Riding dirt is a great way to gain experience without putting yourself, or others, in a bad situation.

Doable but be smart about and take your time

A well-regulated right wrist will be paramount.

Also, there will be a time in the first few days when you accidentally grab more throttle than you meant to. That's when things get sketchy really fast. I started on a bike that was "too big" (still a slow cruiser compared to the max) and I'm fine.

I still get a big stupid grin every time I decide to turn the throttle to the stop, as we all do I'm sure. Get the latest model year you can find for your price point, or at least one with upgraded brakes to help you get back out of the speed trouble you're sure to get into. You don't want to be riding around on something that can't stop as well as it goes, especially as a new rider.

Your entire concept of "Fast" will be severely altered after a couple rides. No streetable car will feel fast anymore.

I say go ahead and get a Max. We'll help you with any problems you might run into, and can all make suggestions about what parts to add next.

Do I see that you're in Newfoundland? I know there are a couple guys up there that I need to meet when I ride up (not sure when that's gonna happen, but it's on my list). There's at least one guy out in CBS who would be happy to hang, I'm sure.

If you have a brain in your right hand i believe you will be fully capable.
You only get one chance in life and that's up to you- good luck.
I applaude you for considering one and hope the best for you-:clapping: If it was me well i already did it.

Thanks for the fast responses. I get what you guys are saying, good suggestions for sure. I loved the look of the Max first and formost.... Did some research, found out fast that this will be a whole other animal then the bikes I'll train with..Baby steps for sure.

davesax36, Small world huh? Yeah I'm from Newfoundland, not all that far from CBS :)

It's not ideal, and actually a scary thought to start on a max. But, like the others said, it's doable if your careful and respect the bike...heh heh, get an aftermarket ignition, and set the rev limiter at 6 grand until your ready for some vboost!!

If you have zero experience I'd say it's not the best starter bike but for sure doable.

Take your time practicing. I wouldn't be too eager to hit the road. Maybe a closed course, parking lot, etc. It's a lot of weight to throw around and handle.

The power isn't a problem in my opinion. Under 6500 rpm it's a docile cruiser. Learning how to turn, stop, shift, lean....basic handling skills are what you need to master and be able to do without thinking about it. When you're on the road and a situation appears you need to be able to react instinctively. You won't have time to think. That's why having some time in on a closed course is imperative. Riding dirt is a great way to gain experience without putting yourself, or others, in a bad situation.

Doable but be smart about and take your time

I'm sure he must mean riding dirt bikes and NOT riding a V-max in the dirt when he says its great experience. Riding a V-max in the dirt to help a newbie gain experience would be the worst advice I've ever seen on this forum, don't do it. The type of bike has nothing to do with how or where you learn, but don't ride any bike amongst traffic until you can use all of the controls confidently. Also keep in mind that unlike the old days, almost any modern car with abs will out stop a V-max Gen 1. keep your distance.

Matt

I started on the Vmax when I was 18 years old. It was my grandfathers and he forced to take the motorcycle safety course before I could even ride it down the street. But like you said I took my time with it, started out going though town and back roads with low speed limits and no sharp turns until I felt comfortable on any roads or turns. And of course pay attention to your surroundings and the idiots in cars that are blind to two wheel traffic. It's better to assume no one can see you and protect your self. Good luck with riding!

I'm sure he must mean riding dirt bikes and NOT riding a V-max in the dirt when he says its great experience. Riding a V-max in the dirt to help a newbie gain experience would be the worst advice I've ever seen on this forum, don't do it. The type of bike has nothing to do with how or where you learn, but don't ride any bike amongst traffic until you can use all of the controls confidently. Also keep in mind that unlike the old days, almost any modern car with abs will out stop a V-max Gen 1. keep your distance.

Matt

Taking a V-Max on a dirt road paints a funny picture in my head....One that does not end well lol. I'm 99% sure he was talking about dirt bikes and the like. That seems like the best way to get started, but not in the cards for me ATM.

To be honest, half of what I have read on the net is rubbish about learning on a V-Max...My best friend's first was a V65 Magna, not what one would call a "Great first bike" So he has been a wealth of information for me.

It's not ideal, and actually a scary thought to start on a max. But, like the others said, it's doable if your careful and respect the bike...heh heh, get an aftermarket ignition, and set the rev limiter at 6 grand until your ready for some vboost!!

See I get the speed/power part of why "It's not ideal, and actually a scary thought to start on a max" But other then that, is there other reasons? I'm the type to start of really slow when learning new things. Must have spent hours in the driveway when I was a kid getting to know the clutch in my old 300Z.

I mean is the throttle super sensitive? Or the brakes/suspension that poor? I know it's not a sport bike, but the brakes/suspension should not be a death trap for a new rider right?

My first bike was a Virago 750, I had rode the 1100 prior also. I grew up on small to 600cc dirtbikes, and 500cc 2 strokes.. Knowing what I know now. Well my bike wasn't tuned up very well so it helped keep me out of trouble. Me mod'ing it, it would have hurt me- yes I like to play. As I get older not as much, unless I am riding with sportbikes. Take the course learn the basics, then get the bike and take the advanced course to help you even more.. I never took the beginner course, I had already been driving with a license for over 10 years before I knew about it.. The military made me take it every 3 years, I have done it on a bunch of different bikes. The last time it was on the Vmax wasn't as easy as my Virago and a HD I used, but it was or still is pretty easy to ride and learn with. I think you should be ok as a first bike. Funny because I told my 20 year old son I don't think I would let him ride it even if he had a license..He has ridden on it when I had the sissy bar on and knows it's a beast..

The throttle is pretty sensitive...it wants to get to vboost...oh wait, maybe that's just me when I am riding mine! There is just little room for error when you have a bike that goes 0-60 in just over 3 seconds. You can do it, just be careful. We don't want you to be a statistic. Just remember that the cagers don't look out for you; you have to be alert all of the time.

See I get the speed/power part of why "It's not ideal, and actually a scary thought to start on a max" But other then that, is there other reasons? I'm the type to start of really slow when learning new things. Must have spent hours in the driveway when I was a kid getting to know the clutch in my old 300Z.

I mean is the throttle super sensitive? Or the brakes/suspension that poor? I know it's not a sport bike, but the brakes/suspension should not be a death trap for a new rider right?

I would go straight to a bigger bike, i started on a Honda cx500, outgrew it in a month.
If you do want to start on a smaller bike then get a cheap one that you can still sell to the next rider.

The brakes and suspension are adequate. That won't be your problem at first I think a looser pull side of the throttle cable can help you avoid some problems. Tighten it up as you get used to controlling things, and you'll be fine. The low speed handling isn't even that bad since the tank isn't up high messing with your balance.

You have to know yourself well to know if you will be able to respect the throttle movement, first you start riding slow until you feel more confident to explore more the speed and remember to be pontual when comes the time for the brake.
i had a honda shadow ace 1100 before and I can ttell you that the difference it's huge and now the speed is something very tempting so it depends on you to resist it. And for my self I thought, I should have got the vmax way before and I never had any other riding cursus beside some 8s at a big parking place when getting my license.
I'm also tall 190cm around 6 feet I guess and feel more comfortable on the vmax then on my previous shadow. Who cares how you look on it, people will only look at the bike.

Conclusion, get the max, drive safe and get used to it.

You can get used to it. The main problem is that even stock, it is a bike capable of low elevens to high tens, and for a new rider thats not careful, it will get away from you. That being said....the first time that you disrespect what the bike can do, it can kill you.

But, except for being high hp for a beginner, there is NOT any reason that it cant be a first bike. Just take it easy, and not too much throttle in the beginning. Riding around town, I only use about 1/4 of the throttle.

Back