Oil light under hard accelleration??? Normal or not?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Oil Light

I'm tempted. :) I wish I had a pickup, would just load up the bike/tools. When done we could go riding, I'd love to ride up there someday.

Mark

Re: Oil Light

lol, uh....maybe I'll take that plane ticket and rent a bike.

Mark

Oil Light On Under Hard Accelleration

My oil light sometimes comes on under hard accelleration from 1st into second. Is this normal? Should I be worried?

Re: Oil Light On Under Hard Accelleration

It's normal. Oil level switch is in front of case so gets tripped when oil moves to the back of the engine under hard acceleration. The oil pickup is at the rear so no worries.

Mark

low oil light

under hard acceleration (6000+) I get the low oil light to come on, deceleration immediately stops it.. When the bike is parked on the center stand, with engine off, the oil is at the full mark on the sight glass. Is this behavior normal? Search yielded no answers

Re: low oil light

under hard acceleration (6000+) I get the low oil light to come on, deceleration immediately stops it.. When the bike is parked on the center stand, with engine off, the oil is at the full mark on the sight glass. Is this behavior normal? Search yielded no answers

The oil sensor is in the front of the pan, and under hard acceleration the oil moves away from it (hence the light coming on)

Not to worry the pickup is in the back of the pan, so your not without lubrication. It's an odd design, but its normal.

Oil light comes on during acceleration

Q. Under hard acceleration (6000+) I get the low oil light to come on, deceleration immediately stops it. When the bike is parked on the center stand, with engine off, the oil is at the full mark on the sight glass. Is this behavior normal?

A. The oil sensor is in the front of the pan, and under hard acceleration the oil moves away from it (hence the light coming on).
Not to worry, the pickup is in the back of the pan, so your not without lubrication.

The oil sensor is in the front of the pan, and under hard acceleration the oil moves away from it (hence the light coming on)

Not to worry the pickup is in the back of the pan, so your not without lubrication. It's an odd design, but its normal.
think thats why they went 4 qts oil changes..........with the older models what does the manuals say about oil quantity with filter change

think thats why they went 4 qts oil changes..........with the older models what does the manuals say about oil quantity with filter change

1985 - 2000: 4 Qts;5 qts completely dry
2001 - on: 3.6 Qts; 4.25 qts completely dry

That's according to Clymer. I don't get 4 qts though on my '89.

Mark

That's not the low oil light,IT'S THE BETTER WATCH WHERE YOU ARE GOING,light!

;;,,,can you tell me where the oil level is not usingn center stand with bike level..reason i ask 4 qts with filter has glass covered slight tilt to left shows oil....im thinking that as full as it gets and being safe...in thinking if your oil is showing half way or a little more in glass at 6000 plus rpm ...that 1/2 a qt might make the difference of light coming on or staying off

;;,,,can you tell me where the oil level is not usingn center stand with bike level..reason i ask 4 qts with filter has glass covered slight tilt to left shows oil....im thinking that as full as it gets and being safe...in thinking if your oil is showing half way or a little more in glass at 6000 plus rpm ...that 1/2 a qt might make the difference of light coming on or staying off

one thing I've learned in my many years of auto repair experience is that DO NOT OVERFILL means DO NOT OVERFILL.

one thing I've learned in my many years of auto repair experience is that DO NOT OVERFILL means DO NOT OVERFILL.
one thing i learned when THE MANUAL SAYS 4.02 quart ..IT MEANS 4.02 QTS that what i use...and 4 qts the sight glass is full with motor off....so i agree with you..and my oil light does not come on...ever think just maybe oil level on the lower side of glass but in spec could cause oil light to come on because of not enough oil under hard acceleration....lol

ever think just maybe oil level on the lower side of glass but in spec could cause oil light to come on because of not enough oil under hard acceleration....lol

Please re-read my original post. Sight glass indicates full level.

KJShover is right, it just means that the bike is running strong and well tuned - being able to set the oil light on when oil is indicating full is a good thing!

Mike

Back