Oil pressure, cam bearings??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
It occured to me while taking my engine apart that there are no cam bearings????

Could this be one of the places where oil pressure is lost on higher mileage Maxes that exhibit good rod and journal bearings, i.e. no visible wear????

Also....

I wonder if these engines have places that oil flow can be minimized to increase pressure where it is more needed??? Back in the old days on small block chevies there were all kind of places in the engine where you could restrict oil flow to certian areas that were getting way more than needed (like the valve train for one) and get more efficiency out of the flow you had........

I wouldn't think you want to restrict any flow in a vmax engine, but perhaps one of Sean Morleys high volume oil pumps would help ease your concerns?

I've got the Morely oiler kit already, will install it when I put this beast back together.....I was just curious about the other thing. Somehting you would have to really know what your doing on for sure, which I do not.......Sometimes certain engines have excessive oil flow to places where it really isn't needed, the only place I saw on this engine was "perhaps" the flow to the out put drive gear bearing? It's a roller bearing I think, but am not sure?? it's pretty standard practice on some American V8 hot rod motors......

The thing to remember here is how the oiling system was designed. It is a low pressure/high flow system. You start restricting flow to areas all you will do is raise the pressure until the relief valve lifts, at 60 psi in a stock oiling system. I would be worried that you could "wash out" a bearing somewhere else by raising the pressure too high for an extended period of time. One reason you should always let you Max warm up is to warm the oil to lower the oil pressure to keep from popping the o-ring etc. Besides I am of the mind if it aint broke, don't fix it. Of course if the Mod Monkey is really bugging you too...........:rofl_200:

My 94 bypasses at just over 60 and warm at idle is 2-3 lbs. The 89 bypasses at 67-68 and warm at idle is 7-8 lbs.:ummm::ummm::ummm: Difference in gauges or difference in oiling system ???

My 94 bypasses at just over 60 and warm at idle is 2-3 lbs. The 89 bypasses at 67-68 and warm at idle is 7-8 lbs.:ummm::ummm::ummm: Difference in gauges or difference in oiling system ???

My guess would be gauges. The one I have from COO isn't exactly the highest precision gauge in the world and because it is not calibrated I would guess there is a built in error of a few psi.

:punk: These gauges are not very accurate, you need a transducer if you want real information. This type gauge is just a visual reminder there may or may not be pressure in the system. You just decide what is normal for your bike. Good Luck, Spurs

Most overhead cam engines don't have cam bearings. Thats why on reassembly it is very important to use a good engine assembly lube in the saddles so there is no metal to metal contact on startup.

Rusty,

In response to your first question, yes, kinda.
Excessive cam-journal clearance certainly does cause a drop in oil pressure.
The crank bearings, because they are under much higher load, wear more, cause more problems, and therefore have replaceable bearings.
Don't worry about using a restrictor like you can do in an old Chev. The vmax motor has a much more holistic design, and unless the cam journals are starting to be scored, there is no problem!

Back