Opinions on what to do first on a budget

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

44boyd

Reaction score
I have an 06 bone stock, just got it running correctly with help from this site. The monkey is talking and need your opinions on what I should do first and maybe a ballpark figure on the upgrade.

Exhaust-thought about slipons but really want a Kerker or Marks for the long haul. Only reason I'm wanting this sooner besides the awesome sound is people can't hear me and I've already kicked in someones door for trying to pull over into my lane. Cost-$400ish used to $800ish new and would modify my jets until I save enough for a morleys kit or stage 7 down the road.

Brakes- Found some sites with R1/R6 front calipers for $150ish, don't know or cant find the cost of the 94/95? FZR750RR or FZR1000 6 pots. Would like to improve stopping power and think this might be my 1a or 1b. Depending on costs/feedback and braided hoses too

Suspension-Progressive fronts and rear, probably could get this done for around $400 total used if I can find the rears while the fronts $80-100ish new. Would like to hear the opinions on lowering since its suppose to help turning from what I gathered-and replace/modify kickstand if I go that route. 1a or 1b depending on feedback, I don't do 2 up riding if that makes a difference.

Radials-I know about the Kosmans, Maxsport rears that will set me back 800-$1000ish all the way to the Carr's for $2.2K. Maybe this after my next deployment but definately in the plans.

Seat- bike came with a corbin on it but bought a used stock seat and prefer that so I can keep my documents and tool kit on the bike without tank/saddle bags. Like to get the stock seat redone, maybe sell/trade corbin to cover that. $250-$420ish

Bling-drag bars, turnsignals, rear light, powdercoated side covers, coarce? windscreen etc..basically love Rollie's and KJShovers bikes and love to have mine like that. DO this after the basics and could cost a lot too if i do the bodywork kits.

Any input/insight/tips/prices are definately appreciated. I'm not rich, so trying to figure out how to prioritze/maximize my spending money for best bang for the buck improvements. Thanks
Stacy

The exhaust can always be resold if you get the trapps and not take too big a loss. The header is the only way you want to go though. I have a few used systems but need to get them out and see what I do actually have. Might save you some money but still not cheap.

I can get the same rear as the MaxSport but it's heavy. Save your money and get the Carr's even if it means waiting another year.

Progressive 412's are ok but try to spring for the 430's or 440's. We've got as good as you will normally ever find on their pricing. The springs on the front are easy too. We like to lower the bikes around here and a modified stand is also available from us ($50 exchanged).

Stock seat sucks. Get it off there when you can. Of course we do the seats.

Bars, signals, and the other misc are all easy to do too.

Sean

Sean-would you advise the front brakes or suspension first/more important? Seen on here that you usually might have or be able to have the 6 pots? What would that run me or the parts for the GSXR upgrade? thanks

Stacy

^ all good advice, Sean is always on the Ball.
For a comfortable seat on a Budget, you can remove the Vinyl Cover and re-shape the seat to fit your needs and add some High Density Foam for comfort.
I did mine a few months after I got my Max and I've been Very Happy with it, even when riding hundreds of miles in a day.
I sat on many of the after market seats but since I'm 6'1" they just didn't work for me.
They are all a bit lower than stock and I needed to get a bit higher to ride comfortably.
I added about 1/2" to my seat height with extra Foam and it's more comfortable for me that any of the aftermarket seats I tried.
And if you pull the Vinyl cover as tight as possible when you reassemble it,
most people will not be able to tell you did anything to it.

The brakes will work decent with good HH pads in palce ($30 per set). You can swap to the R1's but it's not a huge gain and the brake lines will be too long (though they will work). Of course we can sell you new lines too which does help some for feel.

I do have some 6 pistons on occassion and have a cuople of sets right now. None of them are cosmetically pretty but some caliper paint would solve that. I have a set that has almost new pads too.

Email me at [email protected]

new pads make a huge difference on the later model braking system and honestly it works pretty well, or at least mine does. i'd look into a seat and suspension!

but also radials. lots and lots of radials!

1a done thanks to Sean for hooking me up! Everyone already knows but dude is awesome.

Sean is definitely the man!

I have a set of used Supertrapps that are black and coming off soon if your interested. $300 shipped. I have 8 discs for each side and closed caps.

Here are pictures of them, I run them sans caps or discs so its loud.

Vmax7-20-2012.jpg

Rearwheelpowdercoatedblack7-2012.jpg

Todd

I appreciate the offer, gotta wait a bit until I get funds. Got an unexpected carb problem I gotta fix. The boots on the bottom of the carbs are leaking, so I've gotta pay Sean and get boots ordered.

06 should already have the HH pads in the front from the factory. Mine did. Stops great and feels planted now that I got rid of the front end dive with a set of progressive springs and ricor intiminators.

44boyd,

I guess it's really a question of function over form...while slip-ons look nice and add noise, they add no real function - if you need other motorist to know you're around then punch a 1" hole in you deflector...cost $20 and you will be plenty loud...take the $280 or so saved and invest in suspension/brakes or save it for a full exhaust that will yield some power. The clutch is the other area to address...folks here like the Double D, I went for the Barnett pressure plate conversion...the clutch pull is a little heavier than stock but it holds no problem as I was doing 8k shifts this morning with no slipping. I have the 6 pots (from Sean), they've saved my neck a few times so well worth what he's asking...

My $.02

44boyd,

I guess it's really a question of function over form...while slip-ons look nice and add noise, they add no real function - if you need other motorist to know you're around then punch a 1" hole in you deflector...cost $20 and you will be plenty loud...take the $280 or so saved and invest in suspension/brakes or save it for a full exhaust that will yield some power. The clutch is the other area to address...folks here like the Double D, I went for the Barnett pressure plate conversion...the clutch pull is a little heavier than stock but it holds no problem as I was doing 8k shifts this morning with no slipping. I have the 6 pots (from Sean), they've saved my neck a few times so well worth what he's asking...

My $.02
Appreciate the input, haven't thought about the clutch. I'm getting 6 pots from Sean soon and then will probably look at upgrading the suspension next. The bike is plenty powerful enough as it is to me for now. I'll look into the deflector until I get a Marks or Kerker. Thanks again.
Stacy

The better those front brakes work the more you will realize the need for better fork springs. I feel that springs are the best bang for buck mod that can be done on this bike.

I would do Racetech front fork springs and Racetech emulators, HH pads, and stock seat re-formed.

I put on R1 calipers, braided lines and new master cylinders. The brakes work great. With the R1 calipers, you need to change to a 14 mm master cylinder. Otherwise, it won't work correctly. Whatever calipers you use, make sure you have the correct size master cylinder for them. Otherwise, you probably won't be happy with the results.

Yeah buddy, received my 6 pots from Sean today. Big thank you to him for helping me out. Now I just need free time to get them on.

Received my Kerker yesterday, needs a little header paint but looks good enough right now. Probably look at getting it jet hot coated in the future. One of the calipers I got is missing a screw, so going to Fastenal to get one ordered. Removed the old exhaust and center stand, hopefully get it cut today and get that mounted.

Back