Over heating 86 fixed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad-V-Maxr

Reaction score
I dont post much normally just read and do searches for insight. Last yr around june my vmax started seriously over heating. It has always been on the verge in the summer heat. I couldnt keep coolant in it, me being worst case scenario all the time I thought head gasket, after all 40k and not the greatest tune and a friend of mine borrowed it that flogs things pretty hard. I parked it and bought a 05 FJR1300 for the summer, lol. Anyhow I put a parts store generic import radiator cap on it fired it up let the fan cycle on an off, no more coolant puking out of the tank. I feel so stupid, was planning on tearing it down soon. I should have done a leak down test on cooling sys, last year would have saved buying a new bike. :bang head:

Well....now you have 2 kickass bikes!!! My 96 vmax started puking out of the overflow too. Of course I searched the forum and it seemed as though most of the posts regarding this issue had the words "head gasket" in it. I too thought the worst. My bike however was not overheating at all according to the temp gauge and it ran fine. It only did it once but it really bummed me out. At a members suggestion I am running the coolant at a slightly lower level in the overflow and it has not happened again. But I did notice that my water pump was leaking from the weephole and elbow so I have those parts on the way to fix that issue. No sign of coolant in my oil or oil in my coolant. I tend to think the worst when things happen and it's a bad way to be because you are making yourself miserable without having proof that something bad has happened. I'm glad your bike is ok now.

Back