PCW's clutch kit

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaWarrior

Reaction score
So my clutch started slipping big time....any v-boost in the first four gears would result in major slipping. 25k miles on presumably the original clutch, so I got the "full kit" from PCW, which runs about $160 after tax. It includes eight full friction discs, the HD spring, and a new cover gasket.

Installation is pretty straightforward. There was a paper with directions in the box but honestly there's not much to mess up. Remove the pressure plate, toss the original spring, and then pull all the clutch plates out. Use a flat screwdriver to push the ends of the piano wire through the boss, take the wire out, then toss all the parts behind it...the half disc, the washer, and little metal ring thingy. John at PCW said if bead-blasting isn't available to just lightly scuff up the steel plates with a moderately fine sandpaper, he suggested 220. Dip all the frictions in oil before installing, make sure the half-circle notches line up between all the frictions and the boss, then make a clutch sandwich. Stick the pressure plate back on, and swap the new PCW spring in place of the original.

Clutch feel is slightly heavier than before, but it's really not a problem and I've already gotten totally used to it. Not bothersome in traffic and the clutch bites a lot harder....I popped a little wheelie grabbing second, which never used to happen. Of course no more slipping when boost hits.

John said since the spring holds better, there's less "clutch out slipping", which wears the frictions quickly, so the clutch will last a lot longer than with the OEM spring. He reported people that had 50k+ miles with their clutch kit and it was still holding fine, so essentially, it's the last time you'll have to mess with it.

As usual, PCW has super service over the phone. They keep these kits in stock , he said they sell tons of them.

good write up man. another big plus is you can sell your oem spring to someone wanting to do the DD for probably 1/4 - 1/3 of the price of the PCW kit.

Back