Plasti Dip

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hijacker

Reaction score
I found this product somehow awhile back and thought it would be cool to use on my bike. After reading a bunch on their website www.dipyourcar.com and looking at videos on YouTube of people using it I decided to order some and give it a try.

Basically, it is a rubberized paint more or less. It comes in spray cans or quarts and gallons that you can spray through a paint gun.

At $7 per can I figured I could afford to give it a try so I ordered a couple cans of black and red. I experimented with the black on my work laptop to see if it would melt plastic or not, it didn't so I figured it was safe to move on to my bike.

The cool thing about this stuff is that it is extremely durable, washable, fade resistant and when you get tired of it you just peel it off and your unchanged paint is underneath it. I tried to scratch or tear it with my fingernail and then a flat screwdriver and it wouldn't tear, I had to start an edge with a razer blade to be able to peel it off.

You don't have to sand your paint or change it in any way, just clean it with a degreaser and spray on the Plasti Dip.

The colors are all flat/satin, but they do sell a "glossifier" that will make them shiny, I didn't buy that so I have no idea how well it works.

I shot my brushed aluminum side scoops in flat black...

IMG_20121111_184537.jpg

... so far I've shot the faux tank cover in flat red...

here it is after about 2 coats...

IMG_20121114_203950.jpg

5 coats...

IMG_20121115_003404.jpg

IMG_20121115_120408.jpg

Don't like it or have gotten bored with this color? Just peel it off...

IMG_20121114_210732.jpg

IMG_20121114_210755.jpg

So far it seems pretty cool. They don't have a bajillion colors or anything in metallic, but if you want to change the color of your bike for the weekend or just see what your red bike would look like in black, then this is pretty cool.

IMG_20121114_203342.jpg

I'll post some pics of the bike with the red parts back on it later.

Chad

I have seen this stuff on TV infomercials, and have seen some YouTube videos on it, but I have been able to find it anywhere around here locally...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

That stuff has been around forever. Used to be available only in cans. Had to dip whatever you wanted to coat. Initially used to dip tool handles for insulation and/or cushioning. Interesting use of the product... :clapping:

Its not very durable stuff for what it was originally intended. We used to use it at some of the shops I worked in and had to constantly dip them over and over again. But for something like this, it might work because there isn't alot of wear and tear like we subjected the parts to.

Todd

I got a chance this weekend to finish dipping my VMax, I'm very happy with the quality of the "finish", very smooth with no weird fisheyes or splatters or anything which surprises me considering this is from a spray can.

Dipped the tank cover, front and rear fenders flat red.
Dipped the air scoops and the side covers flat black, removed the Plasti Dip from the chrome VMax emblem on the side covers.

IMG_6797.jpg

IMG_6800.jpg

IMG_6803.jpg

And of course what the pre-dip look of the bike and what I can return it to when I peel the dip off...

2012-05-11_19-57-13_478-1.jpg

Yes great product

I made :
-my Vmax (green) in back
-my wife MP3 (black) in red (a lot of cansto fully hide the black..)
-Some engine parts of my mustang

But in France, cost of a can is 17 euros..

plasti dip1.JPG

plasti dip2.JPG

plasti dip3.JPG

plasti dip4.JPG

plasti dip5.JPG

plasti dip 6.jpg

plasti dip 7.jpg

plasti dip 8.jpg

plasti dip 9.jpg

Looked over their website and youtube videos and I think this is a better idea then the vinyl wrap I tried out.

Going to try it on some badly corroded aluminum rims that I use on my suv for my winter tires. Need to change the winter tires on them, so it will be a good time to clean up the rims and paint them with this stuff.

If the pastidip holds up on them over the winter, which their website says it will, than I will try their create a color kit to see what color I can come up with for my Vmax.

Thanks for posting this stuff, I would have never thought of trying it.

Mike

I plasti dipped the wheels on my G35 and it has held up really well. It has been several months and only marks in the plastidip are from taking lug nuts on and off. When my brother was visiting for the weekend we did his F150 wheels, they have held up as well. Cool and cheap idea, $7 a can at Lowes in the states.

Dunno if it was mentioned elsewhere, maybe a gloss clearcoat could make it shine?

Yes, but don't use Plasti-dip gloss!
Surface texture is not flat and it never totally cure and stay sticky :(

Better results with standard gloss varnish..

Can this be used on wheels? Or will it mess up the balance? I would really like some black wheels!

it shouldn't mess with the balance. easy enough to check though if you have access to a static balancer.

Can this be used on wheels? Or will it mess up the balance? I would really like some black wheels!

Only if you duct tape the whole can to the wheel. Should be fine otherwise. :biglaugh:

Seems like an inexpensive solution. Or, you could make friends with a local powdercoater as another option.

Back