plug gaps

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the doc provided with the cops it's between 0.025 and 0.027 recommended.
I just changed my plugs and try at 0.027 to see if anything changes.

I have been also wondering why so tight compared to stock coils.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Is the reduced gap because of the COP's, wire, resistors or what? Should everyone with COP'S tighten their plug gaps?

Unfortunately that I don't know....Thats just what was in the directions to tighten the gaps. :confused2:

I guess the cops will not be able to take a bigger gap but I could be wrong.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I have COP's on my '96 (not Gannons) and am running .033" on the plugs. It runs good, lots of power but the mileage is in the low 30's per gallon.

Davesax had posted on this a while ago but I can't remember the title of the thread....his mileage improved tremendously after changing his plug gap.

I have COP's on my '96 (not Gannons) and am running .033" on the plugs. It runs good, lots of power but the mileage is in the low 30's per gallon.

Davesax had posted on this a while ago but I can't remember the title of the thread....his mileage improved tremendously after changing his plug gap.

I'm running .030 on bikes I've changed over to cops. They seem to run well. I'm interested too in the reason for the short gap, with this higher secondary potential ignition. Many engines with coil over plug in other applications run up to .060 plug gap. Some day when really having too much time on my hands, I'll fool with it and report back. I'm thinking Gannon or Sean would have the best info on this.
Steve-o

Last edited:
I found Dave's thread....apparently the short gap works with both resistor & resistor-less COP set ups.

Time to re-gap and test! :punk:

Don't know the precise reason but if you look at typical values for plug gaps then it seems that coil based ignition seems to be around the .9 mm gap whereas COP sparked machines run 0.6 - 0.7 mm.

I guess that is why that gap is recommended.

Complete saddo's can check it out here.

Sorry guys for not chiming in. The only reason that the gap value is what it is in the manual is because of some testing that a few members had done. The overall responce was that right around .026" seamed to work the best! Now I can tell you that I had already gapped my plugs to the factory recommended requirements. Then I put the conversion on my bike. I had ran with that gap for about 5,000 + miles and recently pulled the plugs and replaced them with the .026" gapped plugs. The only reason I did that was because I had ridden through a nasty rain storm and after that I started having some issues. In the end it was a partially stuck float and the plugs were not the issue. Since the change it does seem to run a little different not to the worse side of things. Perhaps only a frog hair better. The starting is so slighty better, however I honestly think if you keep them around the .031" - .033" you will also be fine.

Thanks G

Sorry guys for not chiming in. The only reason that the gap value is what it is in the manual is because of some testing that a few members had done. The overall responce was that right around .026" seamed to work the best! Now I can tell you that I had already gapped my plugs to the factory recommended requirements. Then I put the conversion on my bike. I had ran with that gap for about 5,000 + miles and recently pulled the plugs and replaced them with the .026" gapped plugs. The only reason I did that was because I had ridden through a nasty rain storm and after that I started having some issues. In the end it was a partially stuck float and the plugs were not the issue. Since the change it does seem to run a little different not to the worse side of things. Perhaps only a frog hair better. The starting is so slighty better, however I honestly think if you keep them around the .031" - .033" you will also be fine.

Thanks G

Thanks Gannon, I've had 'homegrown' COP's on for years, never really gave a thought to the plug gap and never noticed any problems...but the mileage is pretty bad with my '96 and I'm hoping maybe to change it a little...actually be happy at 36 but if not....well, hell, I'm just naturally happy anyhow! :rofl_200:

Thanks Gannon, I've had 'homegrown' COP's on for years, never really gave a thought to the plug gap and never noticed any problems...but the mileage is pretty bad with my '96 and I'm hoping maybe to change it a little...actually be happy at 36 but if not....well, hell, I'm just naturally happy anyhow! :rofl_200:
I have been getting around 34 MPG

G

Gannon i would like to say that the build quality of the kit is GREAT

Thanks! I honestly hate that when you buy something online and then you get it. It ends up being the biggest pile of crap there is, yet the guy you bought it from thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread. Needless to say I have never boasted about the kits I let you guys sell the kits by just telling everyone your honest opinion. I would rather have you guys be up front with me telling me that it is crap or that something is wrong. Then I will do my best to fix the situation or problem. This not only helps me make a better product but it also lets me know if I need to step up my game. Thanks for your honesty G :punk:

Latest posts

Back