Progressive 412

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hungryfroggy

Reaction score
412s are the cheapest of the Progressive range, with only preload adjustment. I think they're still an upgrade on the stock items, but that's debatable. 440s are definitely a good handling upgrade, and 418s are the top of the range with full damping and preload adjustment. All are available in stock size and then 1/2" increments.

11" is 2" lower than OEM. Makes the rear sit much lower, looks more like a cruiser, but kills your ground clearance and makes your center stand impossible to use without riding the rear tire onto a riser and your kick stand very dodgy (bike's almost upright) unless it has been cut down or suitably replaced.

Some people think lower = better handling, I'm not sure I agree. Lower front = quicker steering but less stable, lower rear = slower steering but better stability.

I have the 412's on my 1996 vmax and my 1979 xs1100. I have stock sizes on both of my bikes. It is their least expensive shock but in my opinion it is a decent improvement over the stock shocks. If you can afford it get the 418's or 440's. For my old man style of riding and occasional 2 up riding with my wife the 412's work fine. I also changed my front fork springs to progressive springs when I did the shocks and those 2 upgrades definitely made the bike handle better. I got everything from Sean M (one2dmax).

The 412's are better than stock in my amateur opinion. I weigh > you & like them in the stock 13" length just fine. At your weight, I would go back to a stock length if you ever replace them, especially if you ride 2-up. I felt a very noticeable improvement from the stockers to the 412's.

Back