Protecting your tank

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Max2012

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to protect thier fuel tank from the nasty's they call fuel these days?

I know they did not have these fuels as a norm back in the Gen1 days and did not coat the tanks with anything.

I was wondering if they made the newer tanks to handle the excess water buildup, rust, plastic degradation and premature rubber degradation caused by these newer fuels with ethanol.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceW9Nc1hVHU

Granted, working with the Max's fuel take is PITA, but it’s defiantly something to think about.
I picked up a spare from EBay and its now in its curing stage. Day 3 of 5.

Wow this is good info, thanks for posting it.

Also E15 is not that common. E10 is bad enough. E10 has been what we've been using for ten years. There also has to be a warning on the pump just as there is for E10. If we weren't subsidizing the corn industry, we wouldn't have to use this crap. It's hydroscopic (philic?).

Ducati and Triumph had a heck of a time with E10 destroying the first plastic tanks they were using when the new Speed Triple and Monster 696 came out.

Watch the video that's in the links after the posted one is over called "ethanol Removal".... Bad to put water in your gas these days.

Anybody on here in the industry have thoughts on this product? I'd buy some if it's for real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=akAuevcHk-c#at=227

Or I'm totally wrong.

There is a lot of bad stuff happening because of this ethanol their forcing us to use. Even 10% is messing up parts. There are people reporting that E10 (10% Ethanol) is destroying and deforming plastic tanks. Breaking them down internally. You know where that dissolved plastic / rubber and rust created by Ethanol when it draws in water molecules head too. Your carbs and engine!!
The 1st wave of complaints came from small engine users, like lawn mowers, weed eaters, snow blowers and such. Reason being, those devices get more of a chance to sit still more than Motorcycles (good weather permitting), and cars. This allows for Phase Separation, where the Ethanol splits from the gasoline and pools up. Ethanol also does something that is really messed up. It draw in water molecules from the air.. Just like a cold drink container on a hot day. This water cannot burn in your engine causes all sorts of starting problems and rough running. The next complaints came in from Boat owners.. Boats normally has to sit most of time also.. There is actually a class action suit being brought against 5 of the major gas companies for not testing and informing the public about the dangers of this fuel additive. Some boat owners are finding that the Ethanol is eating their fiberglass fuel tanks away leaving raw fuel pooling on the bottom of their hulls. Now let the bilge pump turn on and BOOOOOM..
I picked up a spare tank from E-Bay and did the 3 stage prep using KBS. Its now day 3 of 5 for the curing process.. Unfortunately, this will not help my rubber parts, hoses, diaphragms, etc, but I’m hoping to get rid of that rust buildup that happens, no matter how clean I get my tank. I'm researching these claimed Ethanol cures to see which one actually breaks up the water in the fuel to make it small enough to burn with the gas.

So ,what is a good safe fuel additive to put in our cars and my Max to keep the fuel and systems good?.

So ,what is a good safe fuel additive to put in our cars and my Max to keep the fuel and systems good?.

Personally I use Seafoam in every other gas tank to help keep my 85 running efficiently. It is available from damn near any autopart store or your local wally-world. It was recommended to me by CaptainKyle and now I use it in my lawnmower, weed wacker, and blower as well.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...diesel-engines-(16-fl-oz-)-sea-foam_6410004-p

"So ,what is a good safe fuel additive to put in our cars and my Max to keep the fuel and systems good?".

Personally, I think that still needs investigating. I would still do as much investigating as I can about what additive will break down the effects of ethanol in your fuel. For the one main reason, MONEY.. Everyone will tell you their stuff is the best. It’s hard to prove unless you have multiple samples of each additive and test it under the same conditions to actually see which product does what it claims. I started my investigation about a month ago and I’m still looking for conclusive results.

Try this thread from advrider...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898427

especially this post:

"There is a real loss in gas mileage and power when using ethanol laced fuel. In addition to having less energy content than gasoline, ethanol also carries a significantly different stoichiometric ratio. Gasoline, as we all know, burns cleanest, makes the least emissions, and generally gives the best gas mileage at 14.7:1. Ethanol on the other hand, has a stoichiometric ratio of 9:1. ALmost all modern cars religiously target the 14.7:1 ratio that gas loves and they may dip down as low as about 13:1 under heavy load. It's fairly obvious that the ethanol mixed gas causes the air fuel mix to run outside of it's intended operating stoich ratio. This in combination with ethanol's lower energy content gives a reduction in power and fuel economy that doesn't really work in an expected linear fashion.

As preciously mentioned by one of the other posters, many of the auto tuning shops have taken to a liking E85. This is predominantly because of they typically work on forced induction cars that require higher octanes than normal gas in order to increase the boost safely. Race gas is very expensive so their defacto choice is to use E85 which has a similar octane rating but costs much less. To use E85 and make more power requires big injectors, big fuel pumps, and big boost to take advantage of that pesky 9:1 stoich ratio. Unfortunately this also gives abysmal gas mileage, often times getting 2/3 or less mpg for similar power levels with straight gas."

Well, I went out yesterday and got a big bottle of stabil and for 11.00 it will treat 80 gallons .I have used it in my lawnmower and snow blower for at least 10 years so ,I guess it should work for m V max.I put my Max away for the season in October so when its cold outside I know gas stays good longer and should be ok in March when I fire it up.

Latest posts

Back