Protective Jackets

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastatv

Reaction score
I have a 17 y/o son who has been riding for about 3 years or so....yes, some of that time was illegal but with me on our backroads. I live in the "boonies" so to speak. Anyway, a few months ago I bought him an 08 SV650S. He rides fairly gently and gets about 58mpg. Of course he loves the bike but he now wants to ride the bike everywhere......partially due to the mileage as his income is very limited. Anyway, I've been meaning to purchase him a protective riding jacket and after reading the post about the 20 June wreck, I've decided to get off of my ass and make this purchase ASAP. Could I get some recs from you guys? What I'm looking for is the type of jacket that offers elbow, shoulder, back protection etc. Maybe provide a couple of quality name brands as I admit I'm pretty much in the dark here. :ummm:Thanks

The fieldsheer mesh jacket I got from motorcycle super store is pretty decent. Has all of those and a removable liner. I paid 75 bucks for it. Stays nice and cool with the liner removed in the summer.

F.S. & Joe Rocket are good ones, some have an inner liner in order to cut the wind if cold. I carry a larger shell which fits over the mesh jacket to cut the wind on an older one w/o an integral liner. Don't forget gloves! Any time riding, gloves! Much cheaper than hand surgery!

you have a lot of options here. many brands and a variety of prices. go to a bike store a find something that you can afford. i think all the companies now in bike jackets have all that you mentioned but in some you pay anbd the name of the company.

Tourmaster here. Good protection, visable, comfortable, dry. The only thing I don't like is with the vents unzipped it tends to baloon on me. My leather jacket doesn't do that.

I have a Power Trip Mesh Jacket that I really like, and a medium weight Joe Rocket that both offer back/shoulder/elbow protection.

Dont forget good armored gloves as well.

i like my scorpion burnout its a good jacket from about 50 deg up to 80

Pretty much any of the names out there have something you're looking for.

Joe Rocket
Icon
Fieldsheer
Scorpion
Tourmaster
Cortech
Speed and Strength (SS)
Power Trip
...ect

If it's mostly warm weather (say 50* and up) riding, I'd go for a mesh style. I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix, which is a mesh textile with removable wind/waterproof liner. CE armor for elbows, shoulders, back. Had it for over 3 years now and it's holding up great. I also like the Phoenix because it doesn't have logos big enough to see from space, just a simple black.

If it's a mix of warm and cold, you probably want to skip the mesh style since even with the liner, much below 55 or so and it gets chilly.

I have seen some real steals on Craigs List as most of the advertisers do not ride anymore for one reason or another.

What I'm looking for is the type of jacket that offers elbow, shoulder, back protection etc. Maybe provide a couple of

I'm a tourmaster flex II guy. It's like several jackets in one. Mesh, Textile and a thermal liner for the cold days. (I've been in single digit and sub zero temps and still stayed warm.)
Several adjustment points, pads in the shoulders, back, elbows.

Here is a good write up from a gal who bought one.
http://excessivelocity.blogspot.com/2006/08/review-tourmaster-flex-jacket.html

And a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn_x7riswiQ

My parts unlimited catalog has Icon Z1R Nylon jackets on close out normally priced at $149 I can sell them fo $95 bucks plus shipping. I have not personaaly tried one. They do have a zip out water proof liner ,zipper chest vents,removable armor in shoulders ,elbows & back.

F.S. & Joe Rocket are good ones, some have an inner liner in order to cut the wind if cold. I carry a larger shell which fits over the mesh jacket to cut the wind on an older one w/o an integral liner. Don't forget gloves! Any time riding, gloves! Much cheaper than hand surgery!

+1 on gloves & may I add riding boots with good Ankle protection, Ankle injuries take long to heal & NO riding without a full face helmet or a modular helmet, its a serious sport & a young rider needs to respect the dangers it poses.
also riding training works miracles in educating new & older riders & gives them ways to improve their riding skills & safety, I am not talking about the basic MSF training. I took ride like a pro and though I have years of riding experience I benefited from it a lot.
http://www.ridelikeapro.com/

+1 on gloves & may I add riding boots with good Ankle protection, Ankle injuries take long to heal & NO riding without a full face helmet or a modular helmet, its a serious sport & a young rider needs to respect the dangers it poses.
also riding training works miracles in educating new & older riders & gives them ways to improve their riding skills & safety, I am not talking about the basic MSF training. I took ride like a pro and though I have years of riding experience I benefited from it a lot.
http://www.ridelikeapro.com/

+ 1 on the training , best training I ever had involved motocross , flat track & enduros in dirt . If you know what to do when the traction goes away , you can " save it " as a natural reaction .

motorcycle-superstore.com is currently having a close out sale on 29 different mens jackets ( and 16 womens jackets ) , all are new and under $ 100.00

:punk:

Back