R1 front calipers upgrade

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badreanimator

Reaction score
Firstly, hi to everyone. As a new poster to this (or any) vmax forum I'd like to thank you fellas - and gals? - in advance. I bought a 95 Vmax a year ago and I'm starting my journey from stock to rock with R1 front calipers. I've gleaned as much as I can from this forum and other sources, but because of time restraints I need a clear answer to this question: Do I need custom brackets to fit R1 front calipers to my 95 vmax?

I've seen a conversion by Sam Blumenstein on vmaxoutlaw, but I didn't notice any brackets - the year of his vmax wasn't mentioned - is it only pre-93's that need brackets?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

93-07 will let the non-radial "blue spot" (and other colors) calipers be a direct bolt on. The line location is 2" higher so the lines will be bunched up a bit (we would normally sell you lines -2" shorter to deal with that). Don't expect to get a big increase in braking power (a little more feel can be expected) since the overall pad size and piston size isn't changing all that much.

To get a noticeable increase in braking power you would need to get a set of the 6 piston calipers from the mid 90's. These can be difficult to find at times. I have a few sets on hand but I won't be as cheap as ebay (if you can find them there). They have larger pads (more surface area) and more pistons (more fluid volume). So, you get more lever travel, less effort (2 fingers is plenty), and considerably more "feel"

Sean

Thanks to you as well Sean. I've checked out your busa alternatives and I'm swinging between those and the R1's. I think I'll go with a R1 master cylinder to improve brake response, and think more about whether to go with busa or yamaha calipers. I live and work in Thailand and was hoping not to ship parts unless I really have no choice. You deals are mighty tempting though:ummm:

Bikes that carry the suitable calipers...

FZS600 1998-2003
THUNDERCAT 1996-2003
YZF R6 1999-2004
TDM900 2002-2005
FZS FAZER 1000 2001-2006
THUNDERACE 1996-2002
YZF R1 1998-2003
FJR 1300 2001-2005
XJR 1300 1999-2002

They hayabusa caliper conversion is not for the 93+ forks.

Sean

Mine is a '93 and I decided to upgrade to the R1 Blue Spot for both front AND back

For the front all you need is a pair of R1 93-07 calipers (as mentioned above)
P1040392.jpg
they bolt straight on
P1040400.jpg

For the rear I picked up another FRONT R1 caliper, a mounting bracket (from customvmaxservices.co.uk) and a front floating disc (298mm)
P1040374.jpg
There was a bit more work setting up the rear (also fits the stock 15" wheel)
P1040385.jpg

There are a number of options for the rear, some go for a single blue spot caliper with a different bracket

Mine is a '93 and I decided to upgrade to the R1 Blue Spot for both front AND back

For the front all you need is a pair of R1 93-07 calipers (as mentioned above) they bolt straight on

For the rear I picked up another FRONT R1 caliper, a mounting bracket (from customvmaxservices.co.uk) and a front floating disc (298mm)

There are a number of options for the rear, some go for a single blue spot caliper with a different bracket

I'll go with the set up you opted for, thanks for commenting - it was pretty much what I'd been thinking.

CaptainKyle, Fred and Sean - Thanks again for clarrifying things - I have enough to get started. I should have put my questions here months ago, would have saved a lot of time - take care all

Rob

View attachment 25611
they bolt straight on
View attachment 25612

View attachment 25613
View attachment 25614

Not correct. R1 started in '98 and from '04 forwards is radial type calipers...

Not correct. R1 started in '98 and from '04 forwards is radial type calipers...

You're right, bad copy and paste from me!
How about this copy and paste to make up for it?

FZS600 1998-2003
THUNDERCAT 1996-2003
YZF R6 1999-2004
TDM900 2002-2005
FZS FAZER 1000 2001-2006
THUNDERACE 1996-2002
YZF R1 1998-2003
FJR 1300 2001-2005
XJR 1300 1999-2002

View attachment 25611
they bolt straight on
View attachment 25612

View attachment 25613
View attachment 25614

Hey John, i have the same bracket that you used and a R1 caliper, getting ready to put it all back together, just waiting on some new rotor bolts i ordered to get here, what can you say about the "a bit more work setting up the rear" i have a longer stainless line plus a wave rotor [298mm], I think i got everything i need, is there any fitting problems i should be aware of??

thanks

doug hunt

Have been down the R1 route myself.

Sean alludes to the hoses - the R1 hole for the banjo bolt is 90 degrees to that of the Max which will puts a twist into the hose.
Whilst it may have been OK for the short term I wasn't prepared to take a risk so it seemed like a good excuse to fit braided lines.

I first tried the R1's with the OE master cylinder and was less than impressed as the feel was very wooden and braking effort didn't seem much better.
This is due to the swept area of the R1 pistons being less than that of the Max (5115 sq mm v. 5881 sq mm) which reduces the leverage ratio that the master cylinder imparts.

The M.Cylinder was changed to that from an XJR1300 (14 mm dia v. 15.87 for the Max) which increased the lever ratio and improved the braking performance over OE.

To surmise - recommend that to get the best from the R1's then fitting a M/C with a 14mm diameter piston is the way to go together with braided lines.

Hey John, i have the same bracket that you used and a R1 caliper, getting ready to put it all back together, just waiting on some new rotor bolts i ordered to get here, what can you say about the "a bit more work setting up the rear" i have a longer stainless line plus a wave rotor [298mm], I think i got everything i need, is there any fitting problems i should be aware of??

thanks

doug hunt

No, just that you need more parts and there's a bit more labor involved

The only things to watch out for while fitting is that you won't need the wheel spacer & don't have the brake line rubbing off the bracket

Also, a high quality HH rated brake pad, such as the Galfers or EBC's, help a lot.

I just installed Galfers, a couple weeks ago, they really grab a lot better.

I have Nissin 14mm masters, braided lines, R1 calipers and Galfer pads. The brakes are much stronger yet have better feel and control, over stock.

No, just that you need more parts and there's a bit more labor involved

The only things to watch out for while fitting is that you won't need the wheel spacer & don't have the brake line rubbing off the bracket

Thanks John

i wondered about the wheel spacer, it stuck to the oem wheel when i pulled it to install my 18"sportmax setup and when i had a problem with my rear caliper sticking[ 4 years later ] i found that without the spacer my oem caliper bracket had slightly rubbed on the rotor bolts, now i finally have everything [my 18 SS CNC rotor bolts and 6 SS CNC caliper bolts came from the UK today in the mailbox], so its going back together soon and i will have to pay close attention to the spacer issue, i had thought i would need to put it on there but was going to measure the difference in the width of the bracket at the axle thru area.

as far as the brake line, i put the oem and the UK brackets and calipers together side by side and there was a 1-1/2" difference in length, so when i had the brackets chromed[caliper and stay] thanks again Sean, i had Sean order me a stainless galfer line with the oem fitting on one end [for the master cylinder] and a "lateral" bend in the caliper end to account for the banjo coming straight out to the right side vs pointing forward.
Now the line will bend downward at a 20 degree angle, and then back to the mastercylinder.

Since ordering the galfer line i did find a reference online to this upgrade and it mentioned a 27" line [same as i measured out and ordered] though for the life of me i cant find that website again for nothing.

doug hunt

93-07 will let the non-radial "blue spot" (and other colors) calipers be a direct bolt on. The line location is 2" higher so the lines will be bunched up a bit (we would normally sell you lines -2" shorter to deal with that). Don't expect to get a big increase in braking power (a little more feel can be expected) since the overall pad size and piston size isn't changing all that much.

To get a noticeable increase in braking power you would need to get a set of the 6 piston calipers from the mid 90's. These can be difficult to find at times. I have a few sets on hand but I won't be as cheap as ebay (if you can find them there). They have larger pads (more surface area) and more pistons (more fluid volume). So, you get more lever travel, less effort (2 fingers is plenty), and considerably more "feel"

Sean
Do any of the caliper options allow fitment of Thundercat 17" front wheel without modification to the left fork leg?

Do any of the caliper options allow fitment of Thundercat 17" front wheel without modification to the left fork leg?
I do not know for sure. Never had one in the shop here (fairly rare option here in the states).

Back