racetech emulators

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really know if heavier oil would have the exact same effect but I doubt it. I use the steel spacers supplied by Race Tech, just cut to the recommended length. I used all the recommended settings from Race Tech thinking they would know better than me. They seem to work fine for my weight (approx 170 -175 lbs) and riding style (I love corners). I have used PVC before in other applications. I think it is schedule 40 (whatever is the thickest one). Be sure and use washers on each end of the spacer. Every bike I have owned for the last 25 years or so has had Progressive springs and other mods to the forks. My last two bikes got Race Tech springs which seem to not dip as badly when braking as Progressive. I used to add heavier oil also but have gotten away from that in recent years. Seems to slow fork response (but it is all subjective).

at the bottom of both s4101 and s4301 emulators there is a step with a groove for the spacer ring as i talked about. the step in the emulator sits in the top step of the damper rod if you look at the illustration that come with the emulators and the directions state the emulator must sit it the top of the damper rod so you dont get blow by. i did just check the s4301's and they do fit inside the tubes but they do not fit in the damper rod they would just sit on the rod. i also measured the inside of the fork tube its about 39mm and as you said the s4301 is 36mm outside and the step is 29mm.
Chris

Here are pics of the emulator in the damping rod (pic 1) and just above (pic 2) so you can see how they fit together. (From the 97 forks I am rebuilding). The spring then fits down on the emulator, then a washer, then the spacer, another washer then the cap. The third pic is from the Race Tech instructions and shows almost exactly how the Max fork is set up. It is really pretty simple. Only thing left to do is drill 6 (six) 5/16" holes in the damping rod as shown in pic 3. I still don't understand the problem??? Both sets of forks (1997 and 2004) I have done were exactly like this.

Attachments

• Emu 1.jpg
    Emu 1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Emu 2.jpg
    Emu 2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 36
  • CIMG0003.jpg
    CIMG0003.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 34
m-cman,
you have yours set up the way racetech says to do it and your emulators fit into the damper rod but my damper rod looks different than yours mine is an 06' and the s4301 would not sit down on my rod. do your damper rods have the 12pt style head i bet they do and thats the difference because mine are totally round so you cant use a homemaid tool to keep it from spinning. there is a buzz going around that yamaha keeps changing the damper rod designs and i changed in 05'and 06'. it seems racetech is not up on all the styles of damper rods on the max pretty much trial and error buy both sets use the set that fits send the other set back. sooner or later we had to get to the bottom of this mystery!
Chris

Ahhh... That explains it. Couldn't figure out why you were having so much trouble. Looks like Rach Tech hasn't adapted to the new rods. Wonder if they have emulators that will fit them?

BTW, I had no trouble removing the rods without any type of tool to hold them. Just used my air impact wrench and they came off easily.

m-cman, thank god for air tools i used an impact gun to get mine off no problems. i would have been in a world of hurt if the would have spun. it would seem that racetech bounces back and forth with the emulators for 93' up forks. hopefully have mine back together this weekend working on spring preload and oil level. what oil level have you been running i have seen three different levels 140mm , 160mm, 123mm and some say the lowering blocks, thicker spring, and emulators take up oil volume. any thoughts?
Chris

Couldn't you just use the older damper rods? Or are the sliders/stanchions totally different?

I did not do any lowering since my radial tire is about one inch shorter than stock anyway. Didn't want to lose any more ground clearance. On the 2004 forks currently on my Max, I did the 140mm level with 15W BelRay oil. Everyone recommends Silkolene but the shop I went to only has BelRay. I probably couldn't tell the difference though. My 2004 forks have the Race Tech 1.0 fork springs and emulators and may be a little stiff for my weight (about 170) but I like it fine. If I had it to do over again, I would get the .95 springs though. When I drove on my 1997 forks with emulators and stock springs they were a lot softer and still did a nosedive under hard braking just not as bad as stock. They were smoother in transition though with no bouncing or jarring motions.

I am having the 1997 fork legs powder coated gloss black (every 96/97 Max I ever saw, the black paint on the fork legs was crap) and am replacing the oil seals, dust seals, o-rings, gaskets and snap rings. Pretty much all the wear parts. I may put them on eBay after that. Still have a set of stock 2003 forks also. Way too much Vmax stuff in my garage!!!

i think i am going to try the 140mm racetech calles for that for the older forks and 160mm for the new but with the additional goodies inside i dont what to have to much oil. i hear you on the spare parts i got stuff all over the garage its a nice trip hazzard. thanks for the input in finding the deal with the emulators at least we know and others doing them will to.
Chris :clapping:

Latest posts

Back