Radial brake conversion on my VenMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they do not sell the item on ebay the first time around, they buy it now on the 1st posting and on the 2nd posting they use the auction method. They post up their newest auctions at night. So if you search there stuff for sell you will see more at night than you will the next day, I called asking about a part and they told me that. So if you see something from them and it does not sell the first time listed all other listing after that are for bids. Glad you got a deal.

Thanks for that!

Finally got a 2nd prototype made for the 6 pot brake conversion. Local High school made it on a 3D printer. Red was color in machine at time.

Just a little more tweaking on the model for the height of the ledge caliper bolts to, so pads will be completely on rotor. Need to drop about .06" for this.

The speedometer cable notches in left bracket need adjusted slightly.

And the holes for the caliper cap screws need to be made to through holes.

I have the aluminum plate for the final metal versions. Probably will get them machined next week.

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_1220s.jpg
    IMG_1220s.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1232s.jpg
    IMG_1232s.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1249s.jpg
    IMG_1249s.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1221s.jpg
    IMG_1221s.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 31
Gary
Looking at second picture it seems that the caliper needs to go inwards a bit more, or are the pads shorter on those calipers?

Caliper needs to move toward c/l of axle about .060"~.125" to get pads completely on rotor @ O.D. Single pad towards bottom is better than dual pads at top. So I will need to rotate ledge caliper sets on about a degree to even them out.

These pads are not as wide as the FJR contact surface though. Not sure what I am going to do to keep the about 1/4" ring at the ID of the contact surface looking decent. Probably not a good idea to powder coat entire rotor since it is floating. The powder coat would lock it in place.

Pictures attached shows were I missed height a little. I did get caliper centered over rotor. I have the VMax rim mounted now and with it the rotor screws will clear new arm OK without any cutouts. Still will be a different right & left due to cutout to let speedo cable get in at a workable angle. And caliper mount holes are offset from center line of bracket about .150".

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_1254s.jpg
    IMG_1254s.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1256s.jpg
    IMG_1256s.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 17
Caliper needs to move toward c/l of axle about .060"~.125" to get pads completely on rotor @ O.D. Single pad towards bottom is better than dual pads at top. So I will need to rotate ledge caliper sets on about a degree to even them out.

These pads are not as wide as the FJR contact surface though. Not sure what I am going to do to keep the about 1/4" ring at the ID of the contact surface looking decent. Probably not a good idea to powder coat entire rotor since it is floating. The powder coat would lock it in place.

Pictures attached shows were I missed height a little. I did get caliper centered over rotor. I have the VMax rim mounted now and with it the rotor screws will clear new arm OK without any cutouts. Still will be a different right & left due to cutout to let speedo cable get in at a workable angle. And caliper mount holes are offset from center line of bracket about .150".

Gary

The powder coat won't lock it in place but due to oven curing you may get the opposite (loose rotors), remember that aluminium and steel have different expansion rates/temps.
Looking at that 2nd picture thats exactly what you don't want. The pad cannot in any way be outside of the rotor otherwise when it starts wearing there will be a shoulder on the pads where the rotor won't rub and you will get to a point where both pads touch each other and you'll loose brakes because they are pressing against each other and the rotor is running happily loose in between them. You just need to shave a bit on the mating face of the brackets to bring the calipers further in (radius wise).

Great work though mate. Its good having a 3D printer around to mock it up.

I have an 06 Venture and I just purchased a set of these calipers for doing exactly what you did. What would a set of these adapters cost to buy from you or what would it cost for a copy of the blue print so I could make a set of my own? I promise not to go into production it's your design and you should be entitled to any money derived from them. I can see a lot of people looking for this mod for the Venture especially when towing a trailer like I do for the added braking.

I have an 06 Venture and I just purchased a set of these calipers for doing exactly what you did. What would a set of these adapters cost to buy from you or what would it cost for a copy of the blue print so I could make a set of my own? I promise not to go into production it's your design and you should be entitled to any money derived from them. I can see a lot of people looking for this mod for the Venture especially when towing a trailer like I do for the added braking.

I am still working on getting a reasonable quote for machining a set. Cost would be better if I were to make more than 1 set. I have a friend in Germany that wants a set and his is a more stock application of these brakes.

An issue with the set I am making for myself is that it is an almost unique application. They are going on an 83 Venture, which should have 80mm spacing caliper bolts, but I have put a set of 87 lower fork tubes on it which have 100mm spacing, this is a common spacing I think on the VMaxs, I had a set of 2001 R1's 4 pots on it for a year. Then there is the VMax rim on the front which was .600" narrower at the hub than the Venture had., requiring a .300" spacer on each side.

In order to do these for another bike I would need a few critical dimensions to modify the overall model. The perimeter profile probably can stay the same, which would allow the same machining fixture to be used. But the offset of the radial caliper bolt holes will surely change.

I will post here when I get my set machined. Hopefully within a week or two.

Gary

Ok no rush when you need the dimensions let me know I have all the tools to do the measuring I was a machinist for 20+ years and can find what you need. Like I said I can see a lot of the Venture guys wanting these. One thing I will mention is the webbing could be left out just a flat plate adapter will do for me nothing fancy and weight isn?t an issue. And again a big thanks......

4/13/12 - I went out and measured the mounting bolts tonight they are 100mm apart....

Last edited:
The radial brake conversion is now a reality !!

They mounted on the bike perfectly. My day job is a mechanical design engineer. I have the CAD tools at home to be able to design & get plastic prototypes made for this conversion.

The calipers came from a came off a 2011 R1, with 45 miles on it, they upgraded brakes on it. Not wrecked and in perfect condition. Rotors are 298mm off a 2003 FJR.

I went through 2 versions of a rapid prototype that the local high school did for me at a decent price. Calipers have been run through a CAD FEA software package that calculates stresses on a part and determines its suitability for a given application.

This is the 4th set of brakes that has been on the bike. Stock set, MKII set, 2000 R1 quad pistons, and now 2011 R1 six piston radials. Needless to say, but the brakes are delinked. Rear end is a modified under slung VMax setup that was required to use when the VMax 15" rim was mounted on last winter.

Have a few more minor tasks to get done & bike will be ready to go. This winter has seen the full V-boost controller added, Marks header, upgraded brakes, painted yellow, rear speakers, replaced some less than perfect body panels with better ones, VMax front wheel, some powder coating, accent LED lighting and other tasks done to it.

Hopefully, I haven't crossed that fine line between great brakes and to much brakes !!!

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_1554s.jpg
    IMG_1554s.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1552s.jpg
    IMG_1552s.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1555s.jpg
    IMG_1555s.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1556s.jpg
    IMG_1556s.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1558s.jpg
    IMG_1558s.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 19
  • PICT3980s.jpg
    PICT3980s.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 21
  • PICT0547s.jpg
    PICT0547s.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC02308s.jpg
    DSC02308s.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0187.JPG
    IMG_0187.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC02265.JPG
    DSC02265.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 24
Nice job Gary! They look good indeed.

What V-boost map are you going for? I haven't been able to test any changes to mine because I'm setting up Seans jet kit, and now winter is rearing it's ugly head.

Hi Gary
Very nice indeed. For my taste i'd check if i could shave them a bit more. For me they look a bit big/thick. Great work nonetheless...

Nice job Gary! They look good indeed.

What V-boost map are you going for? I haven't been able to test any changes to mine because I'm setting up Seans jet kit, and now winter is rearing it's ugly head.

I haven't done the Ignitech VBoost mod yet you developed. I actually just put in a aftermarket controller I got last fall instead of the switch I had last year. Will have bike out in a day or 2 to try it.

Gary

Since you guys are talking about brackets, what size spacing does the 85-92 vmax calipers have? I know new have the 100mm but im looking to buy a set of conversion brackets for my venture and wanted to make sure the vmax was also 80mm! Thanks!

Back