Rear Brake light switch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njwhit

Reaction score
Having issues with rear brake light switch. Thought it just needed a adjustment but it's shorting out. Starts sparking when you turn the key on. Wondering if it has something to do with me getting my foot peg mounts chromed ? I've had adjustment issues before but they never shorted the switch out. I put a bigger fuse in it to see if I can diagnose it but it got so hot that the spring started to glow. I disconnected it and ordered a new one today. I just had all 4 of my engine covers and all 4 foot peg mounts chromed. Being the spring assembly is incorporated with the right side foot peg i was wondering if it was possible that getting it chromed could have a ground issue ??????? I did notice that the old foot peg mount was fully painted or powder coated even inside the bolt hole so I know it wasn't an issue before. Any suggestions ?????????

This my help you if you want to try to save switch. PDf's attached of how to dis-assemble switch & clean. 1st part is front switches, last part is rear brake in each file.

Also switch may be where a problem is showing up, switch may be fine with a problem elsewhere in circuit.

My usual disclaimer, never even sat on a VMax, but I did take pictures of them this weekend.

2 versions, I think vmax will be the 2 wire version, but I posted 4 wire that is used on Ventures with cruise control in case.

Gary

Attachments

• 2 wire brake and clutch switch clean.pdf
    145 KB · Views: 26
  • 4 wire brake and clutch switch clean.pdf
    542.5 KB · Views: 10
I would follow the wiring and make sure no wires are naked / shorting anywhere first. Then remove the brake switch and test it with a multimeter making sure it's not damaged.
Trying a bigger fuse is a really bad idea as if there's a short somewhere it'll help in melting the concerned wires' insulation and creating a bigger problem, even a fire hazard!

I hear ya on the fuse. I disconnected it immediately after it turned orange LOL. I did follow the wires and they are for the most part in a wire loom. Didn't see anything that rubbed through. The switch was only 18.00 at the dealer so that's no biggie. Should have it on Monday so we'll see.

I have an issues with the electrics on mine where one of the fuses kept blowing, that circuit included the neutral light & rev counter, both of which I can live without.

Then I found out it also inlcuded the brake light, which obvously we cannot live without.

Put it into the bike shop (next to my house and good friends) as I could not find anything wrong.

Head mechanic used to work in a Yahama dealers so found the problem in 20 mins, turns out it was a faulty rear brake light switch that was fusing, he put in a new generic one and it has been perfect ever since, cost next to nothing as well.

Hope you get your Max sorted soon.

Picked up my new switch yesterday from the Yamaha dealer and installed it this morning. All is good now. Was definitely a bad switch. Adjusted it a tad and it works like a champ again.

Back