Rear rim bushings won't come out!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65fury

Reaction score
hey guys, so i finally got everything taken off that i want powdercoated.... but the rear rim has 6 rubber bushings that need to come out(especially since i destroyed one bushing) and i cant for the life of me figure it out! any help? thanks

jason

Re: Rear rim bushings wont come out!!!

They don't have to come out for powdercoating - they ususally hold up to the heat pretty well.

Mike

much easier to replace the one bad one then pull the rest out.

just make sure they come back with the metal sleeves in the rubber bushing, mine started popping out after coating and i had to re-epoxy it back in.

They don't have to come out for powdercoating - they ususally hold up to the heat pretty well.

Mike

Yeah.....except i already destroyed one bushing:bang head::bang head: so now i have to get new ones...

jason

much easier to replace the one bad one then pull the rest out.

just make sure they come back with the metal sleeves in the rubber bushing, mine started popping out after coating and i had to re-epoxy it back in.

so its okay to replace just one?....... good thing i aint OCD about replacing stuff like that:rofl_200:

jason

I am at this point of removing these bushings/dampers right now before powdercoating. My paint guys said to have them removed for sure, due to the high heat of the stripper to get the original finish off (Well more than a couple hundred degrees) And then the high temp powdercoating (375 degrees I think they said)

That is the only way this shop does their powdercoating. They told me that the lower temp guys cannot guarantee the finish as good.

Anyway, I have one rubber part out but my slide bearing puller cannot grasp the backside of the slim metal pressed in part yet. What a freakin' joke it is to get these out.

Brian

Check with the powdercoater. My guy said it was OK to leave them in and I had no problems. The guy I took my parts to just sandblasted the pieces before coating.

Brian, we'll have to compare p/c parts when you get yours done. This last batch from Josh Trail was less than perfect. Not nearly as nice as the parts I had done last year. I wonder if the higher temps will smooth out the finish? Mine has the 'orange peel' look. Oh well, he was the cheapest guy in town and I suppose you get what you pay for.

Hey there Howard.

I am not going to Trail like I previously planned. After hearing about your 'warranty' work so to speak, I picked a different place. And that other place commented on lower temp powdercoating as inferior to the higher temp application.

Unfortunately, these rubber dampers are givin' me the heebeejeebees...

Brian

i've had 2 wheels powdercoated with them in. both of them the rubber was fine. on one wheel the inner races came 'unglued' from the bushings and just needed to be re-epoxied. i wouldn't waste your time.

Well, I'm learning that there is more than one way (Temp) that powder coaters use. And I am learning that higher temps offer better results. So, unless that rubber can withstand so many hundred ?F, then I want those bushings out. But those darn things don't wanna' come out!

Brian

They will take 500 degrees that we've put them through the coating over without any problems. They also survive the chrome tanks which get super hot too!!

Sean

PC'd my rear wheel at 400 degrees with no problem or damage to the bushings.

This is propably the most PITA removable thingy in this bike. Only chance I see is to destroy the inner part and then remove the shell.

it could be rusted together and basically fused too. i think i'm the only one thats ever had a problem with them powdercoated and even then it was a simple fix.

i take back my previous comment. one of the rubber pieces fell out so i epoxied that to the 'outer race'. and then had the 'inner races' tac welded to the spline drive legs.

Well I got all six dampers out. Used a big 1/2" corded drill, mated with a holesaw bit. That took care of the vulcanized rubber part. Then metal cutting blade on the old sawzall to split the outer part (Sleeve) to loosen it's grip. Then an inner bearing puller to tap that puppy out.

Was not easy, and won't be cheap to replace them @ almost $11 a piece. But, the wheels are at the powder coating place now.

Brian

wow good info. i can appreciate your dedication!

I have them on hand but only use them for aftermarket wheels at first assembly.

Sean

So it sounds like this has not been attempted too many times I'm guessing? I really should have taken pics along the way, but that would have made the camera real dirty. That rubber was, well, sticky depending on what speed I was cutting it with!

Overall, I spent probably three hours total on all six. Taking my time, not getting frustrated (Ha...) and thinking about what I was doing so I can do the next one quicker. Getting the blind bearing puller's lip on the metal outer part of the damper proved to be hard. Only because I did not have the exact size of hole saw cutting through the rubber, therefore leaving a bit of rubber on the ID of the sleeve that needed to come out. The puller could not bite on the backside of the sleeve, only spreading against the rubber.

Anyway, nightmare over, lot's of experience under my belt for that job.

Brian

would a welder have worked better to put a bead on the inside of the race, once it cools it falls in?

I did the job probably 15 years ago and figured it sucked so bad we'd try to leave them in and see what happened. Plenty of chrome and powdercoated wheels later and we've decided not to ever mess with them again.

I actually still have a few of the sleeves around here where I pulled them out intact (though without the rubber). Welding a bead on them would help get them out and is what we would do now. I'd probably weld a cut off bolt into the sleeve and then attach my slide hammer and remove them complete. BUT, don't ask me to do it.

Sean

Latest posts

Back