Rear Suspension

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster Hymen

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I'm currently looking for rear shocks to replace the stock boat anchors. I know the standards are Works, Progressive and Ohlins. Has anyone tried Penske? Anyone that has changed over, post what you think or if there is another choice available.

about 5 of the guys I ride with have Progressives. They all seem to like them alot. I still have the stockers

KRL0215 said:
about 5 of the guys I ride with have Progressives. They all seem to like them alot. I still have the stockers

I asked once when I had the stock rear shocks
" What is the benefit of spending $500 on rear shocks, since I know no better?"

Don oldman answered in his usual one word replies " night & day"

So I ordered Works steel trackers, at the beginning I didn't feel a significant difference BUT after a day or two I was extremely happy with how the rear wheel tacks and that the bike does not go from side to side any more when driving over a longitudinal splits in the road.

You will not realize how bad the stock shocks are until you put better shocks.

I never tried Progressive but what I tried (Works) is worth the money for sure.
They have many options of springs and are made to your specific weight and riding style.
http://www.worksperformance.com/html/home.html

and they are much lighter than the stock shocks
firefly
________
vaporite solo

Last edited:
I have Works on mine. I recently sent them back to Works to have them rebuilt after putting 25k on them. While they had them, I put the stock shocks back on. The ride felt sloppy and the rear was breaking loose and stepping out on hard cornering. I didn't realize just how much of a difference good shocks make. The new rebuilds are phenomenal! Night and day as someone quoted Don as saying. :thumbup1:

firefly,
did you keep the stock length 13"?
I'm just wondering if i lower my front say 1.5" should the rear also be lowered the same as the geometry will now be off. If it's not a problem at 1.5" at what point would this be a concern?

Dale

veebooster said:
firefly,
did you keep the stock length 13"?
I'm just wondering if i lower my front say 1.5" should the rear also be lowered the same as the geometry will now be off. If it's not a problem at 1.5" at what point would this be a concern?

Dale

Keep stock length. Everything I've read is that the VMax needs more weight to the front. So keep a stock length shock at the back and you can lower the front.

My progressives should be here any time.I went with 12.5".My front is lowered 2".The radials that I put on are shorter than the bias tires.The rear is 2" shorter and the front is 1-1.5" shorter.I have been riding with stock rear shocks for a couple weeks.I have noticed it does not try to wheelie at all and it doesn't spin at all without really trying to. Shawn:th_biggun:

Shawn, any problems with dragging your pipes? My bike's previous owner had the forks cut down by UFO Cycles, changed to 17" radials and installed 11.5" rear Progressive shocks. It looks cool as hell, but I do drag the front section of the pipes when cornering hard.

Not yet.I did make the front as stiff as I could with 1.0 racetech springs.I intend on switching from 10 to 20 weight oil also

shawn kloker said:
Not yet.I did make the front as stiff as I could with 1.0 racetech springs.I intend on switching from 10 to 20 weight oil also
I also have 11.5 inch struts and I feel it is too low for the street and will only use them at the strip.

Latest posts

Back