Rear Tyre size.....again and rear shocks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajaycad

Reaction score
Two questions.......

1. There is much talk of fitting a 170/80 15 rear tyre instead of the standard 150, what about a 160 tyre - has anyone tried that size and if so what exact size was used.

2. Can the standard rear shocks be taken apart - I would like the springs re-coated if possible.

cheers

1-> sure a 160 could be used. i'd use a tire calculator and find out what aspect ratio makes it close to the stock size, or the 170/80, or inbetween

2 -> i'm sure they 'could' but i haven't heard of anyone doing so

Did you actually find a 160 / 15" tire? People go with 170/80 because it's the fattest that'll fit in the swingarm without modification. A 160/90 would be a little bigger, a 160/80 a little smaller (in overall diameter) than the stock 150/90.

I think dismantling the OEM shocks may not be possible, never heard of anyone doing it. They are, however, usually quite easy to find on fleaBay as many people replace them with upgrades.

i agree NG. dismantling anything is 'possible' its whether or not it can go back together. heh.

I think that mucking around with the tire size adversely affects the handling even though it might "look cool." I use an Avon [FONT=&quot]AM42 Venom 150/90VB-15 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT] [FONT=&quot][/FONT]in the rear and I have Progressive 440's on the rear. Rides and handles great. Rolls all the way over to [FONT=&quot] scraping foot pegs in a tight figure 8, which I learned it will do taking a Total Control riding class![/FONT]

The only time I've heard of a 160 tire out back was from those that are running car tires.

I have a 160/70X17 on a 17 inch rear wheel, its not a car tire and in fact its the closest possible to the stock 150/90X15 in diameter.
they don't make them for a 15 inch wheel.

Car tires end in '5's like 165, 175, 185, 195, 205, 215, 225, 235, 245, 255
and your motorcycle tires are even numbers like 110, 120, 130, 140, 150,160, 170 180, 190, 200, 250, 300
And is the fist number of the size _ _ _ X _ _ R _ _ so 150 x 90 R 15 is a motorcycle tire
255 x 80 R 16 are on my truck

A/B-C

A is width in millimeters
B is the ratio of the sidewall height to the tread width as a percentage(higher #= taller profile)
C is the rim size in inches

150/90-15 means it's 150mm wide, is 90% as tall as it is wide, and goes on a 15" rim.

A wider rear tire does not adversely affect handling. Especially since the change is so small...only a 150 to a 170. People don't replace it for looks, it's to help put a bit more rubber on the ground so Mr Max can put the power down instead of spinning it all away.

A/B-C

A is width in millimeters
B is the ratio of the sidewall height to the tread width as a percentage(higher #= taller profile)
C is the rim size in inches

150/90-15 means it's 150mm wide, is 90% as tall as it is wide, and goes on a 15" rim.

A wider rear tire does not adversely affect handling. Especially since the change is so small...only a 150 to a 170. People don't replace it for looks, it's to help put a bit more rubber on the ground so Mr Max can put the power down instead of spinning it all away.

I respectfully disagree with your statement "A wider rear tire does not adversely affect handling" it does have a negative effect on handling, next time you see a fat tire on a vmax look and see how much of that width the bike actually uses, it will never use the entire width & will always be using the center portion of the tread, cornering ability is also negatively affected. not to mention the increase off set.

Attachments

• tires.jpg
    tires.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 29
  • vmax tire center line.jpg
    vmax tire center line.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 25
I have a 160/70X17 on a 17 inch rear wheel, its not a car tire and in fact its the closest possible to the stock 150/90X15 in diameter.
they don't make them for a 15 inch wheel.

I run a 190 - 55 - 17 rear Michelin 2 CT radial on a Kaw ZX 750R 17" wheel. It is wider than the 150 - 15 Bias Ply that came with it . The handling , braking and acceleration changed considerably for the better as I mounted the matching Kaw front end and 120 - 70 - 17 at the same time. I would agree with you if you are referring to the 240 and up FAT rear tires .

Attachments

• # 2 Group Chip 603.jpg
    # 2 Group Chip 603.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 18
A wider tire on the same rim does not shift to the right. If you actually look at the OEM setup the tire is already off to the left!

Back