Rear Wheel Damper - Cush Drive and powdercoating

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajaycad

Reaction score
I need to get my wheels powdercoated, however I have been advised by the company doing the work to remove the six rubber drive dampers - cush drive rubbers from the rear wheel as the wheel needs to be heated to 230 degrees in an oven to bake the coating. I have tried knocking them out with a socket and hammer but they are not moving. I'm loathed to spend out nearly ?80 in new ones. Has anyone had their wheel coated and left the rubbers in place, just concerned that they will melt in the oven.

the rubber will hold up perfectly fine. slight slight chance either the rubber or the inner bushing glue will come undone. just check before you put it all together and epoxy it back if need be.

i've only heard of prez taking them apart and it took him days if i remember correctly. not worth the time. wheels are chromed and p/c with them in.

Yep, leave them in. They survive the 400 degree chrome dip tank as well as the hot powdercoat oven. The rubber may have a little degradation on the very outside edges but it will be just fine.

Sean

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but my rims got powder coated, and two of the inner bushes have come undone. Above, epoxy is mentioned as a solution for gluing them back in. Is there any specific type of epoxy I should use? Anything else I need to take into account?

Thank you.

Back