powdercoating rear wheel - will cush drive inserts survive?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rally2

Reaction score
I'm getting a VMax rear wheel powdercoated and want to confirm if the rubber "cush-drive" inserts will survive the de-gas and curing temperatures? I'm pretty sure someone on here was saying they'll be fine but just want to confirm before taking the wheel in.

yes.

altho on one of my rims the inner metal sleeve on those rubbers came undone and fell into the wheel hub. actually on 3 of them it did. i just epoxied them back in place.

If I were worried, One might be able to get away with 375 degrees. I would only assume that those components were designed to take some serious heat in their normal service parameters.
Maybe I'm wrong. If those things are falling out as someone mentioned, how hard it is to remove them altogether?

Had my Kosman commercially powdercoated with no problems. Removing and replacing those inserts may require special tools. I certainly didn't want to try.. :biglaugh:

Here is a picture of mine with new rubber installed ( Shinko ).

Todd

Rearwheelpowdercoatedblack7-2012.jpg

If I were worried, One might be able to get away with 375 degrees. I would only assume that those components were designed to take some serious heat in their normal service parameters.
Maybe I'm wrong. If those things are falling out as someone mentioned, how hard it is to remove them altogether?
+1 to 375 being adequate Pat. Prolly get by with a 15 minute cure, after flow out, too. From what I understand they're a bitch to remove.
Steve

i heard prez got them out once. took him a week. not sure its worth it. the rubber doesn't melt just keep an eye on the inner sleeves.

Thanks for the comments folks - I attached before and after pics of this wheel. Maybe should have gone semi-gloss instead of matte black but I think it looks decent and should hide dirt & brake dust. This is a Kosman weldup 17x6 with polished lip and I"ll be running a 180/60/17 Pirelli tire on it for now, fingers crossed it clears the stock swingarm without requiring washer swap. Next tire will be 190/55/17 hopefully after I get a notched and braced swingarm from Sean.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 22
Thanks for the comments folks - I attached before and after pics of this wheel. Maybe should have gone semi-gloss instead of matte black but I think it looks decent and should hide dirt & brake dust. This is a Kosman weldup 17x6 with polished lip and I"ll be running a 180/60/17 Pirelli tire on it for now, fingers crossed it clears the stock swingarm without requiring washer swap. Next tire will be 190/55/17 hopefully after I get a notched and braced swingarm from Sean.

Looks Great!
clapping.gif
Should clear the stock arm with no problems. 180/55/17 on mine with room to spare.
Steve-o

Last edited:
looks great and the matte will hide it very well!

just check the sleeves make sure they're all in there securely.

Back