Reasking question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaoteay

Reaction score
So I posted this earlier and didn't get a reply, so I thought I'd rephrase my question...

aaarrrrgh!!!!
29.gif

Ok - this is a continuation of several problems.

1) Got a stage 1 jet kit (will probably take it out, but as it was a Christmas present from my Dad, feel bad doing so. Plus I do feel like the lower end is a little more powerful - though the vboost doesn't have the same kick)

2) Put my Y back on, took out 2/3 of my spacers on my drilled exhuast as it may have been running rich.

3)We cleaned out the carbs with carb spray, sprayed the daylights out of them and it seemed to run a lot better. New Sparkplugs, air filter looked fine.

4)Of course we synched the carbs too

(Oh interesting note: We talked earlier about the fact that I live at around 5500 ft and everyone said that I'd be running REALLY rich with a drilled exhaust, but I looked at the spark plugs and they looked fine. One looked even a little lean)

-Haven't had enough nice days here in good oh' Colorado to test out the mileage, but before this work I was getting 80 miles before the warning light would come on - so like a 20% deduction.

The bike runs real good except for about 3000 RPM's to 4.25rpms with a lot of throttle it bogs down. WOT and just even like 3/4. Below 3000 it's lugging a little but as expected.

I know this is long winded, but here's my main question:
Would this be a main jet problem?
And what RPM's do the different jets work at?
uhm00000.gif

As always, thank you!

At what RPM's/Throttle positions do the different jets work?

Is my problem from 3-4.25K due to a main jet problem?

Thanks!
-Joey

Hey Joey

Sounds as your springs arent strong enough and the slides are rising to fast. Are you running the Dyno Jet Stage one springs that came with the kit? If so put your stock springs back in and update us.

Bog is to rich.. popping hesitating is to lean

Nice, I'll do that this weekend. I'm running the Dyno Jet Stage one springs. Would dropping the needle help at all?

Ok, so I was planning on working on it this weekend, but I got confused about which set of springs. Did he mean the "Piston Valve Spring" Page 6-8, number 2?

Because the only springs they gave me back where these long quarter size 6" ish springs...

Yes, those are the springs he's talking about....the slide springs.

Sorry to keep asking, but I'm leaving for Red River, NM for their Rally next week and don't have time to screw this up myself and then fix it....

Can I just get at that spring by taking the covers off without having to take the carbs completely apart? Or am I misreading the diagram?

NOPE! Take the scoops off and then the aluminum covers sticking out the sides! The springs will be pushing out on the cover so keep that in mind!

Chris

THANK YOU!!!

So I swapped out the springs, and it made a HUUUUUGGGE difference. Much more responsive, but the 2-4.25K range still sucks. (If I give it more than 50% throttle).

I was looking at the jet kit instructions that they installed and they used Main Jet DJ160. Is that 160 the same number as the Mikuni Jets 160? Because you guys recommended I go to a 147.5 Main...

Instead of swapping the mains (like I said earlier leaving for Red River soon and would hate to mess up my bike with no time to fix it), could I just turn all of the A/F ration screws in like a turn?

-JO

Nice, so I'm back to basically the 150's I put in before hand... hmmmm... So would turning in all the screws help at all?

It may a little bit but not a lot since more than 50% and you get problems. What are you stage 1 needles set to?

I'll look after this weekend... The bike's running well enough for the trip (I just got 93 miles before the warning light), so my mileage is back up to acceptable. Because I really can't have bad mileage while driving through no-where NM...

Thanks so much for all your help! I'd be screwed without you guys.

Latest posts

Back