Reassembling motor, need to know where part belongs...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smitherines

Reaction score
Hey guys, almost done putting the motor back after replacing the second gear, hub, first gear and crank bearings. I have this oil tube, and I think I know where it goes, but I need verification. The picture with the tube inserted into the orifice on the bottom case seems to be where it goes, but it just feels too lose in that hole and the bolt hole in the bracket doesn't line up with the bracket on the big oil pipe. Take a gander at the pics and help a brother out!

Thanks!

IMAG0664.jpg

IMAG0665.jpg

IMAG0666-1.jpg

That's where it goes and it doesn't line up because the bracket under the main bolts is all bent to hell and back. The small section between the two bolts should be straight across. just get it back out of there, bend it back straight, and go at it again!

Sean

bwahah. I am laughing because in a week or so I will be asking the same thing. :D So not looking forward to it.

Awesome Sean, thanks for the quick reply. It seems like that pipe doesn't hold inside that hole very well. Its very loose in there, is that normal?

Also, the that oil tube bracket is supposed to be up top, right?

And, what's the purpose of that oil tube?

Correct. It's normally a bit loose. It's the oil return and hits into the "cup" on the oil pan. That way it doesn't forth up the oil and cavitate.

Sean

Excellent! Thank you so much Sean! What do you recommend for the oil situation when I get this thing back together? I was thinking about running some cheapo oil to let it idle and drive around the block a few times before I change the filter and oil to possibly rotella and an OEM filter. Is this sufficient to get all the crud out of the engine from opening it up, or should I run the second change out a few hundred miles and change it for a third time?

You can't ever get all the oil out in one change so as often as you want won't hurt anything! You don't really need to do but one main change after the initial reassembly from a trans job but 2 or 3 on a rebuild.

Well I did main and balance shaft bearings as well. Should I just let the bike idle after I put the oil in for the first time or should I ride it around the block a few times and then change the oil?

Well I did main and balance shaft bearings as well. Should I just let the bike idle after I put the oil in for the first time or should I ride it around the block a few times and then change the oil?

If you do that make sure to do it on the center stand or sitting on the bike!

If you do it on the sidestand lubrication to the rear right of the crankshaft will be less than ideal. I read that on a french vmax forum where people were saying it's bad letting the bike warm up on the side stand because of that.. :confused2:

You would only need to do a quick oil change if you want to. (It is said that you don't have to do it.)
I do it on mine. I think it's a nice thing to do! Give her a nice clean drink of oil! It is logically better to get any swarf out ASAP.

My recommendation would be to ride the bike for at least 10-15 miles and then drain the oil and pull off the filter while it is hot. I left mine for about 100 mile. I used cheap motorbike oil (ie. with very few high tech additives), but definitely suitable for the job.

If you changed bearings, do it again at 500 miles once the bearings have bedded in.

The bearings don't really "bed in" by the way. They never touch so nothing to break in. The only thing that breaks in are the gears and rings.

Sean

That's where it goes and it doesn't line up because the bracket under the main bolts is all bent to hell and back. The small section between the two bolts should be straight across. just get it back out of there, bend it back straight, and go at it again!

Sean

Good catch Sean. I wouldn'ta noticed that.

Looks like some didn't use motor oil on stuff when assembling?? How else could that get so bent?

Friction of the bolt when taking the mains out. I happens to me much more often then you'd think. Simple fix in the vice though.

I'd be more apt to change the Oil filter on a short cycle than oil. I did a head gasket on a Honda Element and got pieces of Honda bond in the filter and oil.

Latest posts

Back