Recommended slip-ons

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I managed to install the slip-ons after some hours work. Removing the old exhaust was a tiny struggle, and installing one of the slip-ons went fine. But the second one was a hell of a challenge. I beleieve I spent 3 hours to make it fit due to the fact that the bike had changed some degrees in an angle due to temperature over the years (that was really bad english).
But after everything was installed and I turned on the key, JEBUS, that is loud.
Anyhow, I have two simple questions ; 1. have I got it right when I say that the more discs you have in the exhaust the louder the sound will be ? I guess up tp max 24 ? And by removing discs it will be more quiet ?
2. I run the open endcaps but included in the package there was also some "closed" ones. How would it be possible to ride the bike with a closed looking endcap ? Wouldn't the bike run real poor ?

You can run the 8 discs per side with open or closed endcap. If you want it really loud, use the open endcaps. If you want it muffled a bit, run the closed endcap. I run the open endcap and I had it chromed for better appearance. Just make sure you keep the discs on. DO NOT RUN without the discs since it will lean you out way too much!!! The stock main jets (152.5) should be fine, but check your plugs to see if your running too rich. You might want to drop them main jets down to 147.5.

Attachments

• my_ride.jpg
    my_ride.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 24
Hi.
Yupp that sounds right.
But I remember I read somewhere that it would be able to install up to 24 discs on each side, and the more discs you had the louder it would be.
Just by using 8 on each side and the open endcap makes it so loud that I actually need to use earplugs under the helmet.

The open endcap will basically make it run with open headers. you def need a closed endcap on the 'traps.

Hi.
When I bought the open end caps for the exhaust, there also came a pair of I guess closed ones. I tried the closed solution and I was able to ride the bike without airplugs. But it looks kind of funny driving around with a closed exhaust....and I started thinking "is there actually enough space for the exhaust gas to enter the system or will it eventually get stuck in there and make it a potential bomb" ?

The open endcap will basically make it run with open headers. you def need a closed endcap on the 'traps.

I run my trapps with the comp open endcaps and it runs awesome. Just did Thunder in the Valley racking on 1000+ miles and it was getting well over 120 miles to the tank. Checked mpg and it was around 42mpg. I like the loudness of the pipes so people know im around.

As to the closed endcaps, I ran the stock closed caps with 8 discs too and they were fine, but I didnt like it.

just my 2 cents....

I spent some time riding with mike,his bike sounds great! an you cant argue with that mileage.

The supertrapp is a fully tunable system but the more discs you run the less back pressure you will have which will lesson your performance. The best way to determine how many discs to run is to always check your plugs to see if they are rich, lean or that light brownish perfect look!

I run my trapps with the comp open endcaps and it runs awesome. Just did Thunder in the Valley racking on 1000+ miles and it was getting well over 120 miles to the tank. Checked mpg and it was around 42mpg. I like the loudness of the pipes so people know im around.

As to the closed endcaps, I ran the stock closed caps with 8 discs too and they were fine, but I didnt like it.

just my 2 cents....

i stand corrected! do you think if you just took all the discs/endcaps off it would be different than just the comp open endcaps?

Well according to Kerker aka Supertrapp, they stated that you cant just run it open. The discs and end caps, open or closed, help create the necessary back pressure on your system to optimize the performance. If you fully removed all discs and end caps, then you would have no back pressure and I would be led to believe your bike would run crappy.

Well according to Kerker aka Supertrapp, they stated that you cant just run it open. The discs and end caps, open or closed, help create the necessary back pressure on your system to optimize the performance. If you fully removed all discs and end caps, then you would have no back pressure and I would be led to believe your bike would run crappy.

Ok update to this, by removing all discs/endcaps, you will loose all backpressure and run your system way too rich with loss of performance. You must run discs and end caps to create the back pressure for optimal performance/sound. I run stock carbs with my setup and it seems to run great this way.

gotcha. when i first got my bike (and the mod monkey was quietly waiting) i had wide open supertrapps. they were loud! i did notice it was faster in that form that my '94 with cobra pipes.

gotcha. when i first got my bike (and the mod monkey was quietly waiting) i had wide open supertrapps. they were loud! i did notice it was faster in that form that my '94 with cobra pipes.

Garrett,

My 95 came with those cobra's. Do you know when you install those slip-ons, you instantly loose about 10hp? YOU DO! Cobras look great and sound great, but you loose far too much horsepower with them. With the trapps, you gain power and get the best sound for slip-ons. If open end caps are too loud, then run the closed end caps. Those are still just as good, just a bit more quite. I didnt like closed since it was blowing the hot air against the bike and some minor carbon build up from time to time.

Another note, my friend that was at Thunder with me has a stock 97 with cobras. He was getting about 80 miles to a tank to my 120 miles with my trapps? I know for a fact he was running far too rich with them too. Again, the cobras will make you run rich and great loss of performance.

Garrett,

My 95 came with those cobra's. Do you know when you install those slip-ons, you instantly loose about 10hp? YOU DO! Cobras look great and sound great, but you loose far too much horsepower with them. With the trapps, you gain power and get the best sound for slip-ons. If open end caps are too loud, then run the closed end caps. Those are still just as good, just a bit more quite. I didnt like closed since it was blowing the hot air against the bike and some minor carbon build up from time to time.

Another note, my friend that was at Thunder with me has a stock 97 with cobras. He was getting about 80 miles to a tank to my 120 miles with my trapps? I know for a fact he was running far too rich with them too. Again, the cobras will make you run rich and great loss of performance.

i didn't know any of that at th etime, but what i do know i learned from here the past year and a half or so.

i have since gotten rid of the '94 and the guy who owns it is here but hasn't been active in a while. the traps went away last yr for a full walker system.

i didn't know any of that at th etime, but what i do know i learned from here the past year and a half or so.

i have since gotten rid of the '94 and the guy who owns it is here but hasn't been active in a while. the traps went away last yr for a full walker system.

Walkers are good. I'd love to be able to afford a set of Marks pipes. I guess I can still dream.......

yea, its nice. i am running 17" cans and love them. i appreciate the info bud!

yea, its nice. i am running 17" cans and love them. i appreciate the info bud!

Always glad I can help where I can. I dont know everything, but put all of us together and we may know just about everything!

I need to make my contribution to VMF to get a support banner. I like the supporting our brotherhood here too like the VMOA!

so if you have the traps do you lose the center stand? i love my centerstand and want to keep it.

Back