Red Radiator Reflectors

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendini

Reaction score
Hi all

I have mentioned this previously. I have a 1986 model Vmax US market which was imported into the UK in 2013. I am trying to get it 'stock' as possible. It is a pretty original survivor bike. It has red reflectors on the radiator cowlings. One is a proper Stanley one part no RR0502 the other an unmarked pattern one. I was under the impression they should be amber for the US market but an eBay seller over here has a pair of red ones including the cowlings which came off a '91 US bike that was also imported here more recently. These reflectors are proper Stanley ones although I realise they are a generic part fitted on other non Yamaha bikes as a rear reflector.

Does anybody know if red reflectors were ever fitted to the US Vmax as standard? The other set is from a later bike than mine so I wondered if certain States had different local laws and red ones were fitted for those areas only? Any advise or opinions would be of interest.

Thanks

My US 2000 has Amber reflectors on the Radiatoir Side covers as does Bill Seward's US 1985 Vmax.
Yamaha Part # is: 1FK-12537-00-00

See the attached pictures.

Attachments

• DSCF4751.jpg
    DSCF4751.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF4752.jpg
    DSCF4752.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 21
I've never seen red reflectors on the front half of any vehicle in the states.

Sent from my K00F using Tapatalk

Front-side vehicle reflectors are amber, rear-side are red. DOT regulations. When the 1963 side marker lights/reflectors came-out, that was the standard. I don't think they called it the "DOT" back-then, but that was the standard, and it came-about maybe a year after the PCV valves were implemented for the engine. My, how-far the vehicle regulations have come!

I've never seen red reflectors on the front half of any vehicle in the states.

Sent from my K00F using Tapatalk

Ditto.

My 85 Kansas Max came equipped with amber reflectors up front.

Back