removing carbs from engine

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winesources

Reaction score
hi to all,

i am a newbie at this and bought and followed the clymer guide on how to remove the carbs, i loosened the screws on the clamps that hold the carb to the bike, the guide then says to lift the carb off the bike, when i try this nothing happens the carbs are stuck on the bike, i retraced all my steps and did everything according to the guide. i don't want to use force because i am concerned of damaging the carbs. does anyone have a suggestion or trick on how to get them off.

much appreciated

Pull harder. They stick in there pretty good. Good enough that you need to hold the bike steady when you remove em.

Grab two carbs on one side of the bike, right or left and yank up. Then do the opposite side.

After all request former steps
and rubber clamp loose`n

the need of pry-bar or 12inches flat screw driver to pry-it-out
stay gentle, use rag and look for strong allum parts.

I`m sure other members will come withsv fine description and maybee pics also.

But i know it as to be pry-out

+1

Prybar makes it much easier... as Max says, do so carefully.

After all request former steps
and rubber clamp loose`n

the need of pry-bar or 12inches flat screw driver to pry-it-out
stay gentle, use rag and look for strong allum parts.

I`m sure other members will come withsv fine description and maybee pics also.

But i know it as to be pry-out

This has been recently asked. I just pulled the carbs off the Rattlecan Special the way I learned by trial and error. I totally loosen the lower band clamps to the intake manifolds , Not the ones directly under the carbs themselves. Shoot some WD 40 or any penetrant around the boots. No need to get sloppy. Find you a 2x2 piece of wood I prefer pine because it is softer. Then work your way around the carbs using the 2x2 prying as a lever. You can safely lever off of the valve covers and cylinders with damaging finish. Just keep working your way around a little at a time. Don't try to pop them off in one crank. Work smarter, not harder!

Lean over the bike and pull up on the carbs on the opposite side from where you're standing....making sure the bike is well braced.

PATMAX's tip on WD is good too.

The manifold rubbers get dry and hard. get a big screwdriver and pry them out gently using leverage on the carb bodies and sturdy structures...

hi to all,

i am a newbie at this and bought and followed the clymer guide on how to remove the carbs, i loosened the screws on the clamps that hold the carb to the bike, the guide then says to lift the carb off the bike, when i try this nothing happens the carbs are stuck on the bike, i retraced all my steps and did everything according to the guide. i don't want to use force because i am concerned of damaging the carbs. does anyone have a suggestion or trick on how to get them off.

much appreciated

I found loosening both upper & lower clamps freed up mine.

Lean over the bike and pull up on the carbs on the opposite side from where you're standing....making sure the bike is well braced.

PATMAX's tip on WD is good too.

This is what works for me. I stand on the left, reach over and grab the right side carbs and give it a tug.

I use a two by four against the chrome piece that holds the bowl drain hoses, using the frame braces as a fulcrum point.

Those things are tough to get off even tho I Vaseline the boots before installing them. I don't know that I could just jerk em off and I got plenty of practice.

I've always used the 'pry bar' trick and it's worked every time. Just protect the carb bodies and rocker covers with rag or rubber, then use a BIG screwdriver or breakbar, tip on the rocker cover, bar under strongest edge of carb bodies.

Back