Ricoh emulators

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smackdown

Reaction score
anyone tried the ricoh emulators?

they are pricey, but if they REALLY work.......

I know the Racetech emulators are pretty good, but the Ricoh units look like a great engineering idea.

Smackdown

Hey, this info is great, but can anyone describe the specific differences in ride quality they experienced with Racetech emulators and the Ricor product?
Compared to stock and to each other;
Installed with the proper oil viscosity and adjusted properly, which product does a better job fighting brake dive?
Which one rebounds better?
Do you feel a less harsh ride with either?
To be honest, I want it all if I'm going to shell out big bucks. Soft ride, very little brake dive, and traction. Not asking toooo much !!! ;)

I'm like V2EX although I do have lowered (2") Progressive fork springs w/ 15 wt oil that seem to work well, at the very least a lot better than the stock divers! I have never used Race techs. I have yet to install the Ricor intiminators since I'm waiting on the 5wt oil and couple more important mods to get out of the way. There is very little noticable dive because the progressive nature of the springs whereas the stockers would dive with a very unsettleing suddeness. The stock fork springs were crap for cornering which I could never get comfortable with in corners. The fork dive and impercise steering did not promote confidence. With the Progressive springs and aftermarket fork brace I have a more precise turn in and a front wheel that feels planted in corners.
I'm also running Progressive 13" HD 440 shocks which are a tremendous upgrade from stock with better shock absorbsion, rebound and sharp bumps are soft now vs stockers. They also helped control the wallowing I was getting while going through fast bumpy sweepers.

Last edited:
I've never used the RaceTech either. Used to have Progressive front springs and 15W oil, but the front still felt weird and unsettled especially going over uneven pavement such as tarmac joints between road lanes. At the rear I have 13" Progressive 440s.

I then fitted the Ricor Intimators and 5W oil in the forks. Absolutely love them. It made my front end feel like a normal bike again. Feels way more planted in slow to medium speed turns. No longer imprecise and unsettled over bumps, just nice and solid. Can't speak for high speed turns as frame flex makes those too scary - whole bike still wallows like a fish when hitting any little bump while turning above 75mph. Solid motor mounts are my next upgrade..

took the Max out for a serious test drive today. What a difference!!!

this winter I put on new Metz 880's ( 170 rear--cleared swing arm OK, 110 frt), bead balanced, 440 standard spring 12 in shocks,
rear and front Galfer brakes with new rotors, 3in over Franks Maintenance 43mm forks, new seals, Ricor emulators with 5 wt oil, Race Tech constant rate springs, and new bearings/seals in the wheels. Greased/filled the drive train.

I already had a Starfighter seat from Ebay (cheap), foward controls, and a 1.5 in handlebar spacer to bring them slightly up and back.

I am more of a cruiser than a racer, but I like power and I love the Max.

With stock springs/shocks, etc every middle sized bump and bigger was a bone jarring experience. I constantly rode around every possible bump cause it hit so hard. Dived badly under braking. I just couldn't do long trips.

These mods aren't for the hardcore guys who generally want shorter forks and a stiff ride. I wanted comfort with control, and these mods work for me. The bike corners fine, but then I don't corner at 90 mph either. Bumps are much softer and with less vibration, or you could say "resonance". Just a little thump-thump and you're over them. Very little brake dive, maybe an inch to inch 1/2, under normal braking. Haven't hit the front brakes real hard yet, hope I don't have to.

The Galfer brakes are very good. Not too twitchy/grabby and slow you down very smoothly as you increase pressure. Very predictable. Got on them repeatedly for short spurts to seat them, and they just got better and better.

I had to install longer brake cables, which I got from Sean Morley (along with many of the other parts, thanks again), and a longer speedo cable. I had to get an auto speedo cable repair kit and solder/crimp the auto style square fitting on the one end, as Yamaha uses square at both ends (which was hard to find, at least for me).

When I installed the new front fork springs I cut off the upper 2 inches of the old springs, "soft coils". and placed them on top of the Race Tech springs seperated by a washer. When I finally had everything in there I think the one inch preload compressed these extra coils almost down, and made setting preload much easier. In any case the forks are perfect for my needs.

Filled her crankcase up with 5w-40 Rotella synthetic and went riding.

The police pulled in back of me at about 5 miles from home and followed me all the way back home so the testing sort of wrapped up early. Really, I am a cruiser not a racer. I do love raw acceleration though, and the Max just brings that out...........my bad.

Have a good riding season everyone, be safe, and thanks for all the help and advice over the past winter.

Smackdown

P.S. If you're ever in Kansas City, shoot me an email to go riding. [email protected] Or call me at 913-287-0820.

Last edited:
Good luck with the synthetic oil, My clutch was slipping 500 miles after i put the synthetic oil in the crankcase. I put 15/40 Rotella T back in and no clutch slippage now.

hey, thanks for the heads up. I've run the synthetic for about two seasons now and haven't noticed any problems. However, I don't know if there's much advantage to running syn oil since I change it about every 6k anyway. I have been thinking of going to the exact oil you use cause it's 15w-40 which is closer to factory recommendation.
Snackdown

I installed my ricor emulators along with 1" lowered internal front fork spring setup. Rode it yesterday for about 2 hours after all my winter upgrades were completed. The result is a super responsive ride. I LOVED IT!!! Best money spent for the ride so far indeed. The front end was very responsive and by all means was definitely a new ride for sure to my advantage. I will highly recommend this product.

Mike Moore
VMOA #2116
MD Chapter Leader

There's an entire comparison thread on Ricor to Racetech here:

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=7750

I bought a pair at 50% off retail, but I have yet to install them yet. Still debating what setup to do overall with the front and rear heights and springs.
50% off is a great deal. I'm interested in getting a pair of these. What's the promo Code to use to get 50% off?
mike costa

50% off is a great deal. I'm interested in getting a pair of these. What's the promo Code to use to get 50% off?
mike costa

Hi Mike,

I bought these last summer when they first came out. Not sure the validity of the discount now so you'll just have to try. Still if its 30% thats good!!!

I love them with my progressive 1" internal lowering with springs.

Good luck and ride safe!!!

Latest posts

Back