Selling Remorse

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auggie_1970

Reaction score
So just pretty much sold my first bike, Suzuki Bandit, this morning. Buyer to pick it up next week. Have to admit despite having the Vmax as well, I found myself having a hard time with selling the bike this morning. I've had it listed for a few weeks now but I guess the reality set in when the offer was on the table. Hope I don't regret selling at a later point in time but between the Max and the Bandit , I'd most likely go with the Max 98% of the time. Glad I finally had a serious buyer but selling it is a mixed emotion kinda thing.
When you guys sold a bike , did you guys find it easy or did you feel like you were selling something you were quite attached to?

It's ALWAYS a bitch selling any bike you've ridden for a while. I always wished I could have kept every single bike I've owned, rather than having had to sell them..

Right now I'm seriously considering a Benelli Tre-K 1130 Amazonas. This thing is just pure sex. But it means I would have to sell the Max to afford it. Hhmmm....

It's ALWAYS a bitch selling any bike you've ridden for a while. I always wished I could have kept every single bike I've owned, rather than having had to sell them..

Right now I'm seriously considering a Benelli Tre-K 1130 Amazonas. This thing is just pure sex. But it means I would have to sell the Max to afford it. Hhmmm....

Never saw one of these so I went to click on the pic G included and to my surprise....he didn't include one!!

A clear breach of VMF regs!!

Anyhow....I got 'cha covered G!! :biglaugh:

Sweet looking ride!! :punk:

Attachments

• G's Benelli.jpg
    G's Benelli.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 46
ya it sucks letting them go but you get over it fast when you use that money on a new bike :)

Never saw one of these so I went to click on the pic G included and to my surprise....he didn't include one!!

A clear breach of VMF regs!!

Anyhow....I got 'cha covered G!! :biglaugh:

Sweet looking ride!! :punk:
Yep, I agree Dan-o! I'd have to have one or two of this class in my "Millionare's Garage". I'm digging on the mirror turnsignals too!

I think the biggest reason for me on this one is that I learned to ride on this bike. I look at my riding abilities at this point verses when I first started and everything was learned on this bike.

So just pretty much sold my first bike, Suzuki Bandit, this morning. Buyer to pick it up next week. Have to admit despite having the Vmax as well, I found myself having a hard time with selling the bike this morning. I've had it listed for a few weeks now but I guess the reality set in when the offer was on the table. Hope I don't regret selling at a later point in time but between the Max and the Bandit , I'd most likely go with the Max 98% of the time. Glad I finally had a serious buyer but selling it is a mixed emotion kinda thing.
When you guys sold a bike , did you guys find it easy or did you feel like you were selling something you were quite attached to?

Sorry to steal your thread Auggie....I know just what you're going thru, as I have a tendency to get real attached to my vehicles also. Sometimes you're glad to see something go to a new owner but more often than not it's the other way around.

I bought an XJ700 MaximX in '85, sold it 3 years later and have been trying to buy that bike back ever since! Sometimes it just goes that way!

I bought new DT250 which I sold 2 years later to buy a car. I wanted a car since I was going to be a senior in HS and I lived in Michigan. I went back the next spring to buy the bike back but the owner had moved.
It was my first motorcycle and like the rest of us, I regret that I ever sold it.

Yup ... Sold my 86' Vmax 2 weeks after I bought my 98'. put iron Craigslist for stupid money, and within hrs. a guy drove many miles cash in hand, no dikering, loaded in a truck, (that's the moment that got me ), and drove away ... To this day, I wouldn't do it again... Now I'm lookin for another something.

I was happy to see my first bike go....that '82 GS450 automatic that had been crashed. As such, it was a little bit wonky in corners at highway speed and habitually leaked oil from a crushed oil pan...no amount of JB weld would plug it. Plus, it was slow and not a whole lot of fun. A purely commuter bike, to get you from point A to B, nothing more.

The Magna was a little harder to see off, but I looked at it as the bike getting new life. I never rode it anymore(other than a quick spin every so often to keep it fresh), and it felt like kind of a waste of a good machine. Sad to see it go, but glad a new owner would enjoy it and put it to good use rather than it sitting in the corner of my garage under a cover.

Well tomorrow is the big day. Buyer is showing up at my place, were doing the paper work and exchanging the cash. I offered to drive it to the buyers home because she has no means to get it there rather than to hold it for her until she got the registration. Even though once the cash exchanged hands I would never ride it while holding it for her, just a matter of ethics, the thought of something accidentally happening to it in my garage makes me a bit nervous. Plus I can related to what she's going through becuase I was fortunate enough to have someone lend me their trailer to allow me to get the Vmax home. So tomorrows ride (30 miles), will be my last ride on her (the bike that is)...Somehow not really looking forward to it but hearing her excitement for the bike kinda offsets what I'm currently feeling. Gotta snap some nice pictures of the bike tonight....

Ya, takes some snaps of the beaming smile of the new owner! That goes a long way in helping to let go. I still miss my '68 VW camper so so much, but knowing it's in a good family (they're my friends) helps to no end. Also last year I got to take it for a 10mns drive, and this year I might even be able to borrow it for a weekend! Joy oh joy ;-)

i found away around this problem, i keep em!!! i have an 01 FZ1 that i love, but i had to have the gen 2 FZ1. so when i bought my 07 i kept the 01 for my old man to ride. it is also an easy way to make sure i always have someone to ride with!!!

but know he's seen the 85 vmax i'm try'n to bring back to life, i think he plans on trading in the FZ for the vmax when im done. hope i get to ride it first!

So long story short, bike is no longer in my garage....drove it to the buyers place last night after we exchanged money. Learned of something that really made me reconsider selling it last night when I asked her if she wanted any of the original parts and she said that she had an apartment and didnt have much room and indicated the bike would be stored outside..F***, that really bothered me to the point I seroiusly considered telling her I could'nt let her have the bike. Maybe I'm just to anal but the thought of taking a pristine bike and letting it sit outside, even if its under a cover, does not sit well with me...On the other hand what gave me a little peace of mind is that her car was immaculate despite having 130k on the odometer. I guess this is just another learning experience. I guess im too passionate about my stuff and get a little too attached..Now I have more incentive to get the Max put back together because now I don't have another bike to fall back on...

I hear ya, I will be selling my 85 Vmax soon. I have owned it for 19 years now, but I got the 2005 so it's time to move on.

Ok man card almost got suspended with all my whining..Anyhow, spent the night putting the max back together. Did alot of electrical stuff and took my time with making sure everything was done properly. I came up with some neat ideas on lighting that i will post over the weekend with pictures and explantions what I did. Bike is coming togehter nicely...

I've owned my 85 Magna for 5 years now. I've ridden countless other bikes from choppers to 165 mph sportbikes.

Sometimes I say to myself, maybe I should sell my Magna and buy a nice new cbr 1000 or yamaha r1, and join all the hooligans that are my age clinging onto life on the road.

However, I've put significant investment (time + money) into taking my Magna from a "lemon", to a bike that is now in excellent condition (runs like a brand new bike).

I'm hopeing that I can keep it when I buy another one.

As a previous poster stated, taking a neglected bike and then giving it new life....its hard to give it to someone else who may once again neglect the bike's needs.

Enough said. :punk:

Back