'Shaft Drive Oil Exclusive' ok for use in Gen 1?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it falls within specs for Gen 1, yes. The parts people at a Yamy dealership will gladly sell you Yamaha lubes. They make a killing selling them retail. The Yamaha dealer I worked for used Rotella 15-40 in most of the customer engines they service. And, fram filters. The Fram filters were marked up double too.

If it falls within specs for Gen 1, yes. The parts people at a Yamy dealership will gladly sell you Yamaha lubes. They make a killing selling them retail. The Yamaha dealer I worked for used Rotella 15-40 in most of the customer engines they service. And, fram filters. The Fram filters were marked up double too.

That's common with any car mechanics as well. My brother works for a big automotive chain, they service all kinds of cars and it's very common to have 100% markup.

As for the gear oil, I wouldn't buy that stuff from the dealer, look in the manual it tells you what weight of gear lube you need. Your local parts store will have it for a fraction of the yamaha lube price.

The book says SAE 80 API "GL-4" hypoid gear oil.

I guy the cheap stuff at the local 5 & dime.

Wally Mart....
Valvoline/1 qt. 80W-90 Durablend synthetic gear oil

......you use less than a 1/4 of the bottle....no problems...been 5 years.....I may be due again.

Thanks for the feedback. I returned that Yamaha gold-in-a-bottle and bought a more reasonable alternative. Rainy weekend, so it's maintenance time...

Latest posts

Back