Shifting from neutral to 1st - jerking motion

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlieRobinson

Reaction score
When I am a stop and I go from neutral to 1st I almost always experience a forward jerking motion on the bike. As I have no prior bike/riding experience; is this normal? Does even sound familiar to anyone?

I have no prior bike/riding experience;

First: The Max is not kind to new riders. Consider taking the MSF Basic Rider's Course and do whatever you can to learn as much as possible as quickly as possible with your new 0-60 in 3 seconds machine that has less than ideal handling. Stay safe out there.

Second: The clutch doesn't prevent complete engagement when going into gear. You will also notice pulling the clutch and staying in first is a bit harder to push the bike around than when in neutral.

So yes that sounds normal. If it's a big lurch you may want to look at your fluid color it could need fresh fluid or a bleed. Take a good look at your own brown eye :p

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/122_0306_hydraulic_clutch_service/

Some bikes sort of "clunk" into first gear. If its not severe than I would say its normal.

Now, if you are saying the bike clunks into gear hard and it feels like the clutch is grabbing and bike wants to go while in gear and the clutch lever held in, you have a problem.

On the vmax, this typically ends up being an issue with the hydraulics in the clutch system. Master or slave cylinder, or maybe as simple as needing bled.

Its possible that a problem like that could be with the basket, pressure plate, clutch plates/frictiongs but its pretty rare for that kind of issue on these bikes.

When I am a stop and I go from neutral to 1st I almost always experience a forward jerking motion on the bike. As I have no prior bike/riding experience; is this normal? Does even sound familiar to anyone?

Mine does this, but only when cold, and usually while the choke is still partially on - consequently the revs are higher than normal. What does your bike idle at? Normal idle speed is 900-1000 rpm's
Cheers!

You otta give the guy credit buying a Vmax as his first bike lol. Thats a ballsy move .. respect the bike or else it's not going to be pretty... Good Luck

My first bike was a vmax when i turned 22 (still have it, the bike i mean), my second one a R1 and my third another vmax... So im no example... LOL

i follow fred's example...as well as charlierobinson's hahahaha. my first bike is the max that i now let run rabid up and down the streets. in charlie's defense, he has taken everybody's words of caution to heart when he brought his max home several months ago. he has taken the MSF course and "baby stepped" onto the streets.

my bike jerks a bit as well from time to time when i shift from neutral to first. i'm gonna start paying attention to see if this happens when the bike is cold and/or partially choked as Miles states.

Every bike on the planet has a lurch when you put the transmission in gear. Product of a wet clutch system.

Some are worse than others. Vmax is pretty average. There's smoother ones but there's also a lot clunkier transmissions out there.

People that start out with a bike like the Vmax and live more than a week or two are either exceptionally careful and prudent, or extremely talented at riding.

Plus I think learning to ride a low powered bike teaches you appreciation and respect of the machine. It doesn't take 200hp to kill yourself.

To be a little clich?... Its not the bike that kills you... Its the curb or rail by means of your brain... So its all up to whats inside the skull...

I had my first bike for about 3 weeks before selling it and getting my VMax. 700cc wasn't enough acceleration off the line.. but mine does this too. After an oil change it is less noticeable, along with easier to find neutral. If it isn't a major jerk forward, I would want to say its nothing to worry about.

you having a jerk or creeping when you put it in gear? a fluid change and or clutch master and or slave rebuild could be in order to help the creeping. lots of guys do the DD or pcw clutch mod to help also. if its just a clunk then thats normal.

Every bike on the planet has a lurch when you put the transmission in gear. Product of a wet clutch system.

Some are worse than others. Vmax is pretty average. There's smoother ones but there's also a lot clunkier transmissions out there.

People that start out with a bike like the Vmax and live more than a week or two are either exceptionally careful and prudent, or extremely talented at riding.

Plus I think learning to ride a low powered bike teaches you appreciation and respect of the machine. It doesn't take 200hp to kill yourself.

Haha I started riding four years ago on my Vmax ... Had some interesting situations but at first all I did was watch the.right hand until I was comfortable riding. Then pushed my riding skills to their limits and exceeded them....

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk 2

Noticed the same during the early days. It seems like if you can get it rolling just a little it goes into 1st from neutral much quiter. Also, when downshifting from 2nd to 1st at a stop it is least "clunky" if you do it while it's still moving forward a touch.

Also depends on if the bike is warm or cold. When its cold, the oil is thick. A good example is when you try to roll the bike in gear by pulling in the clutch...when its cold it won't budge, but when warm it rolls fine.

Hey, guys. thanks for the replies. I changed the oil from 15w-40 to 10w-40 and that made a considerable difference. It still has a slight jerk to it but it's tolerable now. Someone said on page 1 that it's a byproduct of a wet clutch. I can live with that.

My first bike was a 650 night hawk then a leap to the V max.Wow ,talk about night and day and about 5 mpg less riding the max.

To be a little clich?... Its not the bike that kills you... Its the curb or rail by means of your brain... So its all up to whats inside the skull...

To quote Clarkson, "It's not going fast that kills you. Suddenly becoming stationary does". Love it

Try pulling the clutch in for a couple of seconds before shifting to 1st gear, that would allow the internals time to stop spinning......

Try pulling the clutch in for a couple of seconds before shifting to 1st gear, that would allow the internals time to stop spinning......

i was gonna say that.......... same problem on trucks, big trucks.... they have a clutch brake to stop the clutch and trans. from spinning so it will go into gear. some drivers jam there trans. into gear and the cab of the truck rocks back and forth, as a result of pushing the clutch into the c/b when shifting the gears..... and i also had the same lurch, plus a grind with my old goldwing.... i'd hold the lever in for about 5 to 8 seconds then shift to first, and it would go in nice, but it was also due to worn clutches.

Latest posts

Back