Should I buy it?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tex85

Reaction score
1987 Honda Super Magna with 15k original miles pristine mechanical condition and near mint cosmetic condition (small dent on tank and speedo from current owner knocking it over 15 years ago in his garage on accident). Only 2 owners and this one is a personal friend who has had it for the past 18.

All said and done requires nothing and would only be $1k.

I'm thinking it might be a good starter bike for the wife... Any thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Sounds like a great deal, but I'd ride it first and make sure your wife likes it and that she can handle it. They are pretty quick, they could get out from under a new rider pretty easily.

For a grand, if you don't buy it I will.
If you don't want to keep it, turn it around and make a $1500 profit.

1987 Honda Super Magna with 15k original miles pristine mechanical condition and near mint cosmetic condition (small dent on tank and speedo from current owner knocking it over 15 years ago in his garage on accident). Only 2 owners and this one is a personal friend who has had it for the past 18.

All said and done requires nothing and would only be $1k.

I'm thinking it might be a good starter bike for the wife... Any thoughts?

SO the S-M (!) is a 750? I think the V65 stopped in '86. A new rider could handle something like that with time and experience, but something in the 450/550 size would probably be more forgiving of mistakes. I'd say get it for her for after she has a year or several thousand miles under her, and get something smaller for her to learn on. She probably is going to dump it, and if the first time doesn't scare her away from bikes, let her take her lumps on something a bit-less heavy and powerful. Also, if it's that clean, you don't want to have it beat-up right-away.

I still say the best training for street riding is dirt riding. Once you learn how to handle a dirtbike, riding on the street is a piece of cake.

Last edited:
I would buy it and flip it for more mod money !! Buy smaller bike for wife I bought a 250 rebel for wife to learn on. She said she enjoys being the passenger and that's ok with me little less to worry about . FLIP IT

Sounds like it won't be the best starter bike for the wife but it also sounds like it is too good to pass up since I could just flip it after having some fun on it. Thanks for the input everyone. Going to think about it over the holiday week since right now it is reserved for me at the moment so no need to jump on it today.

Sounds like your friend is giving you a great deal!..........How would he feel if you flipped it right away?...........Just be mindfull of possible hurt feelings.........................Tom.

If I was in the market for a 2nd bike, I would give it a strong look myself. I think though that I would rather save my pennies and get a Valk for a 2nd bike.

Still, from the sounds of it, that is one hell of a deal.

There nice bikes and would be a great starter bike very reliable. I had one once upon a time it sits low and comfortable to ride. Getting a smaller bike is not always the best idea it can sour people as they suck in the wind and traffic.and this bike is very predictable.

There nice bikes and would be a great starter bike very reliable. I had one once upon a time it sits low and comfortable to ride. Getting a smaller bike is not always the best idea it can sour people as they suck in the wind and traffic.and this bike is very predictable.

The Magna only weighs 72 lbs less than a VMax. For a beginning rider, tipping-over is almost a guaranteed incident. Long bone fractures, broken ankles and feet and/or much bruising could result. Not only would such an incident mean financial hardship and possible permanent damage, it would quickly end any enthusiasm to 'get back-on the horse' post-recovery.

Yes, buy it if you can afford it. Keep it for when she's ready to graduate to it. I still say a ~ 400 lb. bike is going to be much more friendly to a neophyte rider, both for ease of control, and in the event a tip-over occurs.

I also believe anyone who wants to ride on the street should ride off-road first, as they learn a lot more about traction and effective braking in low-traction situations. Falling-off is a lot less painful in the dirt, speeds are much-lower, and the bike doesn't take the same beating as it would after low-siding, or (I hope not!) a high-side. Turning and braking in the dirt is easily-equated to rain-slicked pavement riding, and the 'muscle-memory' is more-quickly developed in the dirt, so the new rider will have a better potential of doing the correct thing instead of locking-up the brakes, keeping them locked (assume no ABS here) and riding straight-off the curved road, or dumping it because of oily pavement, anti-freeze, whatever upsets the equilibrium.

I don't know if 'Top Gear' or anyone else ever did it, but I bet trying to educate two new riders, and one gets off-road training, and then transitions to road riding, vs. the one who is 'pavement-only,' the off-road experienced rider would perform better in an evaluation of skills like braking, rapid lane changes, and overall confidence behind the bars, or a 'follow-behind' to judge the operator's small and large mistakes.

I also believe anyone who wants to ride on the street should ride off-road first, as they learn a lot more about traction and effective braking in low-traction situations. Falling-off is a lot less painful in the dirt, speeds are much-lower, and the bike doesn't take the same beating as it would after low-siding, or (I hope not!) a high-side. Turning and braking in the dirt is easily-equated to rain-slicked pavement riding, and the 'muscle-memory' is more-quickly developed in the dirt, so the new rider will have a better potential of doing the correct thing instead of locking-up the brakes, keeping them locked (assume no ABS here) and riding straight-off the curved road, or dumping it because of oily pavement, anti-freeze, whatever upsets the equilibrium. .

Well now I want to get off-road experience even more than I did before.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Went ahead and made the call. Going to pick it up when I get back home next week. Attached two photos, you will see why I just can't pass it up.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372540927172.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372540927172.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 14
  • uploadfromtaptalk1372540936906.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372540936906.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 11
Back