Shout Out for PCW Tuning, NY!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This goes out to anyone who is going to do a 1500 tourmaster save the extra coin a go chain drive i really wish i would have went the extra and did this mod as well also i heard through the grape vine that keihn is not making the flatside carbs anymore, is this true??? If it is what a shame because they really bring the 1500 to life!!!!

John at PCW is a great guy can't wait to make it to his shop

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

If I get my hands on one I might throw it in and see what happens. I don't know about all that "waiting for 6500" bs because I'm used to it coming right on. If I get one the bike is going directly to the track ! Curious how your bike turns out Jack. John knows his stuff so you're in good hands....good luck

I wish I lived closer to Sean or pcw. ( My wife might not be to happy ;) )But it sounds like the Morley muscle kit is the way to go rather then stage 7. My vboost is working great with Sean's kit.

This is an interesting topic. I never had vboost on my bike ever and have a full stage 7 with 165 mains in it. It doesn't stumble down low and will burn the wheel off from a 2500 roll on and runs 11 flat @122 all day. I have a friend with a 1570 long rod and he has always told me the bike would run better if I put the vboost back in it. I don't know wtf to do cuz it runs fine now. I guess it couldn't hurt to try. Could always yank it back out

When my motor was internally stock I ran full stage 7 no Vboost. Still had the butterflies installed to use for synching. Removed controller and servo and used throttle stop screw on cable to hold it open.

It ran fantastic that way. UFO exhaust and Stage 7, me weighing 230 geared up and it ran 11.29-11.31 & 120-121 consistently. And no bad habits at all. And I could tell Zero difference on the strip, I ran a lot of passes with the Vboost working properly along w/ the stage 7 and exhaust and the times were not any different. I guess since at the strip it never really sees less than 4500-5000 rpm anyway.

On the street I would say it may have lost a little crispness or throttle response in the off idle to 3000rpm range. But once again if I was going to "play" with someone its a simple matter of downshifting far enough to get the revs up past 3000rpm or so.
I would say that if did a 1st gear "just off idle" Roll on with someone w/o slipping/blipping the clutch to get the rpm's up I would be at a slight disadvantage.

Technically I agree with Kyles post 100%, ....Vboost open equals less velocity through two carbs since same volume is now going through two carbs instead of one.
Its not theory but fact that less velocity through carbs equals less throttle response and crispness. This is going to equal some power loss in low, mid-lo range. Its why hot rods driven on the street are more drive able, feel faster and user friendly when running a carburetor that may be smaller than what would give most horsepower up top.

As for the big motors. I think most guys end up with flat slides, meaning only one carb per cylinder. Cam overlap between cylinders is not an issue. So they don't see any issues like I had.

With open Vboost running stock intake manifolds and Mikunis all kinds of weird shit happens since each cylinder is not only getting two carbs, its also being exposed to the fluctuations from the other cylinder and its intake reversion pulses and stuff.
Not so big a deal in the stock setup.
Add high compression (mine is 13:1) and big cams and it gets a lot worse. I had all kinds of idle carb popping and occasional exhaust backfires, even just idling.
I'm not sure if my exact same motor with lower compression like the Tourmaster would have done this.

The minute I put the Vboost back to stock it started behaving perfectly.

When my motor was internally stock I ran full stage 7 no Vboost. Still had the butterflies installed to use for synching. Removed controller and servo and used throttle stop screw on cable to hold it open.

It ran fantastic that way. UFO exhaust and Stage 7, me weighing 230 geared up and it ran 11.29-11.31 & 120-121 consistently. And no bad habits at all. And I could tell Zero difference on the strip, I ran a lot of passes with the Vboost working properly along w/ the stage 7 and exhaust and the times were not any different. I guess since at the strip it never really sees less than 4500-5000 rpm anyway.

On the street I would say it may have lost a little crispness or throttle response in the off idle to 3000rpm range. But once again if I was going to "play" with someone its a simple matter of downshifting far enough to get the revs up past 3000rpm or so.
I would say that if did a 1st gear "just off idle" Roll on with someone w/o slipping/blipping the clutch to get the rpm's up I would be at a slight disadvantage.

Technically I agree with Kyles post 100%, ....Vboost open equals less velocity through two carbs since same volume is now going through two carbs instead of one.
Its not theory but fact that less velocity through carbs equals less throttle response and crispness. This is going to equal some power loss in low, mid-lo range. Its why hot rods driven on the street are more drive able, feel faster and user friendly when running a carburetor that may be smaller than what would give most horsepower up top.

As for the big motors. I think most guys end up with flat slides, meaning only one carb per cylinder. Cam overlap between cylinders is not an issue. So they don't see any issues like I had.

With open Vboost running stock intake manifolds and Mikunis all kinds of weird shit happens since each cylinder is not only getting two carbs, its also being exposed to the fluctuations from the other cylinder and its intake reversion pulses and stuff.
Not so big a deal in the stock setup.
Add high compression (mine is 13:1) and big cams and it gets a lot worse. I had all kinds of idle carb popping and occasional exhaust backfires, even just idling.
I'm not sure if my exact same motor with lower compression like the Tourmaster would have done this.

The minute I put the Vboost back to stock it started behaving perfectly.

Thanks Rusty...interesting post

What do you mean by improving the vboost Jack?
Steve

Apparently, when my bike had the Stage 7 Mod done, my Vboost was completely, physically, removed. So, I should have used the words, "I need to replace my VBoost on account that it's not there anymore."

Jackster, aka, Freshman VMAX on my way to higher VMAX education. Thanks to all that are helping this poor newbie learn what he is talking about. Hopefully, someday, I can help you back and other freshman. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Got it Bro. Wayne has one for ya. I'm sure he'll take good care of you. Once you have it, options are available. For me, just the easy sync option is worth having it. Make sure you get good or new rubber boots.

On the campus of MIT, one of the most popular T Shirts among grad students says, "If it ain't broken, Modify It! And make it better." I don't know about you, but I understand this message. That's why I'm going back to PCW shortly to get my starter clutch kit done by them, alone with a complete Vboost set up. I am gonna have Brandan and John do what they do best, "Master Level Dyno Tuning" I will report the details as soon as Brandan and I can coordinate our schedules. Heck, I'll go down tomorrow if they let me. Who needs furniture and food....lol

Altho he's too nice a guy to correct anyone...his name is Brendon.

LOL, Too Funny. Let me be the first to admit. I am horrible with names. My day time job is high school teacher. A few weeks ago, on the last day of school, "I said, you, in the last seat 4th row, stop cheating. You'd think after seeing that kid of 182 times, I'd know his name.

Jack

LOL, Too Funny. Let me be the first to admit. I am horrible with names. My day time job is high school teacher. A few weeks ago, on the last day of school, "I said, you, in the last seat 4th row, stop cheating. You'd think after seeing that kid of 182 times, I'd know his name.

Jack

Gosh with all that time, I'd think you would work out a grid system... D8 stop cheating...A2, no breaks for 12 more min, unless you are done with the test now!

I think it would be helpful if we signed our posts..if we don't mind it being out there....I've been on here a long time and still don't know everyones real name...

Back