Side Stand Switch Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroBob1

Reaction score
I have a 1990 VMax and when I start it up with the Side Stand down, Clutch pulled in, in Neutral. It will stall if I let the Clutch out even though I'm still in Neutral?
But if I pull the Side Stand up and put it in gear everything is fine!

Shouldn't this bike idle in Neutral with the side stand down with the clutch out? :ummm:

Yes it should. You definately have a problem. Sorry I don't have any suggestions for you to try to fix it but i'm sure someone on here will chime in soon.

Personally, I just unplugged the Neutral Switch and removed it, when mine started acting up a few years ago.

When it cuts off does the starter still turn over?

It's either the sidestand relay, starting circuit cutoff relay or diode assembly.

No, I meant with the clutch out. Does the starter motor spin?

If it was your neutral switch the neutral light wouldn't illuminate. The switch completes the ground.

I have a 1990 VMax and when I start it up with the Side Stand down, Clutch pulled in, in Neutral. It will stall if I let the Clutch out even though I'm still in Neutral?
But if I pull the Side Stand up and put it in gear everything is fine!

Shouldn't this bike idle in Neutral with the side stand down with the clutch out? :ummm:

With the side stand down , in neutral , with the clutch out , will it start ?

With the side stand down , in neutral , with the clutch out , will it start ?

I'll be checking that as soon as I get a new Regulator/ Rectifier installed. It is presently dissassembled. Bike was not charging and after some trouble shooting found this too be bad. I have one ordered.

Sorry, I actually meant the Side Stand Switch.
My Neutral Switch is still connected and Good, it was the sidestand switch that was acting up.

So is there a way of removing the sidestand relay? Is it as simple as joining the wires together?

To bypass sidestand relay remove black wire coming out of side stand relay. Doing the same to black/white would work too.

Got the new Regulator/ Rectifier (Heavy Duty Unit) from ElectroSport, installed it and I no longer have an issue with the Bike stalling when the side stand is down, in Neutral with the Clutch engaged! This might be an interesting troubleshooting tool regarding charging system problems?

So is there a way of removing the sidestand relay? Is it as simple as joining the wires together?
nobody has yet answered this mans question CAN YOU RMOVE THE RELAY BY CONNECTING THE RIGHT WIRES TOGETHER .

tmykool2 asked:
CAN YOU RMOVE THE RELAY BY CONNECTING THE RIGHT WIRES TOGETHER .

To bypass sidestand relay remove black wire coming out of side stand relay. Doing the same to black/white would work too.
Post #13 answered this. No need to connect wires together.

Over time, the sidestand switch gets oxidized and its spring loses the ability to push out the sidestand shaft sufficiently, to operate as it should, i.e., killing the engine if you have the sidestand down, and attempt to engage 1st gear. I simply use some CRC 5-56 or WD-40 on the switch and work the shaft back and forth a few times until it's working properly. That has worked for me numerous times over the years, on this and other bikes.

i had to jump the red with black stripe to red with white stripe to get the bike to start .

removing the relay and jumping those two wires my bike went from sitting over a year trying figure this shit out to starting on 1st try and has never ran better.

Latest posts

Back