small coolant leak

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyk

Reaction score
hey everyone, new to the site, also new vmax owner..
i just bought an 06 with 5500 miles.
i took it for a 120 mile ride, had to stop once for 5 min. for road construction.
noticed the temp guage rising,
when i got home, i noticed a few drops of green coolant on the lower right side.
upon investigating, i saw it was coming out of the 4" round barrel in front of the brake pedal.
there is a small hole on the bottom of it about an eighth of an inch, looks like it was made like that.

i dont have the acess to a camera at the moment,
if i can explain a little more..
it is definetly a small hole made by the factory, i followed a hose , about an inch and a quarter thick ,and it does go to the radiator

I think it's a weep hole, and I believe it has a mechanical seal, which sometimes lets a little bit of coolant out when temps vary. There was another thread very recently about this, search for it.

thanks for the info..i did search for the thread,found it...says the waterpump needs to be rebuilt..
can this be true after on 5600 miles?
how much will the dealer charge to fix it?

someone posted, that i could possibly replace the mechanical seal?
is anyone familiar with that?

I think it was Mark (maleko) who posted that he just took it off and refitted with vaseline as a sealer and bingo, no more leaks.. Gotta find that thread.

I put vaseline on new o-rings, not the mechanical or oil seal so have no idea if that works. I heard about the Vaseline trick and it does work on new o-rings.

is replacing the bearing,gaskets,o-rings...and all that other stuff a difficult job?
i also looked into buying a repair manual...
the ones i saw went up to 2003...mine is an 06

all manuals are the same. seal not hard to replace but is a PITA. be careful handling new seal..even a surface scratch screws it up.

Clymers took me step by step thru replacing the seals and it wasn't that hard. Just be sure you buy the water pump gasket as well because you will probably damage it when taking the pump apart.

As I have noted in the other threads, mine has done this since new. Until I can see I'm losing a significant amount or it weeps everytime, I'm not fixing anything.

Latest posts

Back