So..blew my muffler off at 145mph and.....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max1139

Reaction score
ummmm, the tune changed a bit on the bike.:punk:

History:
went riding the other day and found a perfect farm to market road ... about 3 miles of flat, straight road with a straight hill at the end.
thought, hmmm... lets do this.
first pass, 125 and felt ok
second pass, 135 and ok..
fast forward to a few days later, riding with my buddy and we went to the spot, he's says he's gonna run with me, ok...
he drops out at 100, (got a v-star 1300)
I have my full face helmet tucked right at speedo, feet on rear pegs,
125, 135, 145 slight wiggle and bwaaaaaaaaa
lift up and think OMG, what did I tear up???
Motor there, gauges look ok, tires in place,
OOOOHHHHH.... no Kerker, dang.:bang head:
look back and my buddy had pulled over, said good thing he didn't try to hang, that pipe would've scared him. said it bounced all over the road.
so, road it gently back to the house, slip on in his saddle bag.
but Dang, that thing sounds goooood at idle without the slip on.:worthy:
but gotta have it, so trying to get mine slip-back-onable, then look for another one later.

hint...hint...:clapping:

Nice run, glad your OK. 145...man thats moovin. What makes us attempt this kind of thing. If the bike was capable of doing 175mph,..would we still try ?lol:biglaugh:

Max1139, that happened to me one time at bout 115,trashed the can(slipon) I ended up making a new one ,it ended up sounding better then the stock one!

And Ripinanroarin ,Ive been 155 by the speedo on my max ,and Ill let you know bout the 175 when I get a gen 2, I guess what makes us try these stupid things is the same thing that makes us buy them in the first place.

That's gotta be a scary thought - the thing flying off at 145! And make you jump outa your skin, too..

Answer to Przemek's question, if my bike could do 200mph I'd be trying, everytime I got a chance!

Best I've ever seen on mine is 135. But that's a stock bike, just slip-ons, and large windscreen, panniers, top box and a good 200lbs of me in gear on it. I reckon it would eventually pull to 140, but both the wobble paranoia and running out of road's prevented me to go there so far..

I found that the right Holeshot slipon slipped off the header once after a hard ride...lots of time in the triple digits and v-boost. Bike seemed a bit louder and the inside pipe had come out....it doesn't fit in there very well...angle isn't quite right.

I saw 145 today while I was out....a personal best. Stage 1, slipons, factory flyscreen and sissybar, Venture drive, and me, prob 185 or 190 in full gear.

I lit the 9200RPM shift light at about 135 in 4th, and never saw it in 5th. I'd bet with the shorter gearing it would get 150+ given enough room.

I found for the best stability, to put my feet on the crash bar pegs and hunker down behind the flyscreen. An awkward pose to be sure but I got only a tiny hint of a wobble at like 120, I consciously relaxed my grip on the bars and it went steady all the way up.

Well, I know that when I was up at that speed, anything that I saw, felt or heard would have made me shut it down ..... and that sound change was a definite "shut that sh-t down moment"
but all in all, not a bad run.
I guess we do it because it's there!:clapping:
Actually, unlike some of my friends who have bikes just for the "drive and smell the flowers" type riding, I think I have mine for the little adrenaline bump you get when you do that kind of thing.:biglaugh:

Just got around to posting to this thread. We've blown off a number of the mufflers especially on Kerkers. There is supposed to be a small screw installed under the clamp through the muffler into the mid pipe to keep it retained on there. Many people overlook putting that in.

Sean

145mph... :worthy:

Not sure what my top speed was, I know my speedo is a bit out (it shows 180kph at 6000rpm) then the numbers stop at 190kph !!! Then I manage to get the revs to climb steadily to 8000rpm, which in my estimates puts it up around 240kph +/- 10kph? not sure if I believe that myself

Anyone know the rpm to speed ratio of the stock Vmax gearbox :ummm: then I'll have to incoporate in the slightly smaller diamater of my 17" radials..

Disclaimer: All details appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons/events, living or dead, is purely coincidental :biglaugh:

Well, I know that when I was up at that speed, anything that I saw, felt or heard would have made me shut it down ..... and that sound change was a definite "shut that sh-t down moment"
but all in all, not a bad run.
I guess we do it because it's there!:clapping:
Actually, unlike some of my friends who have bikes just for the "drive and smell the flowers" type riding, I think I have mine for the little adrenaline bump you get when you do that kind of thing.:biglaugh:
Quite true! Nothing like a little rush of adrenaline so you know you're living!:punk:

145mph... :worthy:

Not sure what my top speed was, I know my speedo is a bit out (it shows 180kph at 6000rpm) then the numbers stop at 190kph !!! Then I manage to get the revs to climb steadily to 8000rpm, which in my estimates puts it up around 240kph +/- 10kph? not sure if I believe that myself

Anyone know the rpm to speed ratio of the stock Vmax gearbox :ummm: then I'll have to incoporate in the slightly smaller diamater of my 17" radials..

Disclaimer: All details appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons/events, living or dead, is purely coincidental :biglaugh:

Found something @ vmaxoutlaw
http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/speed_in_gears.htm

Doing some math, I should be reading 150kph @ 6000rpm :bang head: speedo is waaaay out (or I have an overdrive gear)

Just got around to posting to this thread. We've blown off a number of the mufflers especially on Kerkers. There is supposed to be a small screw installed under the clamp through the muffler into the mid pipe to keep it retained on there. Many people overlook putting that in.

Sean
Noticed that hole in the slip on pipe, didn't see a screw. Kerker was on there when I bought the bike. fixed it though .... had to re-round the can end with a hammer and the 2 inch trailer ball on the van, drilled two holes, top and bottom, and put an aluminum pop rivet in each, then new clamp (old one kinda messed up).
Now it sounds quieter than before it came off :damn angry:
but I'm sure that's better for it:ummm:

Latest posts

Back