Soldering

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maleko89

Staff member
Reaction score
I need to re-do my soldering of the stator connection. My charging voltage is down to 13.4 or so. I suck at soldering so any tips would be great! Here's what I have:

140/100 watt Soldering gun
40 watt soldering iron
63/37 rosin core solder

My biggest problem is keeping the iron on the connection to get it heated up. I've been talking to Jeff and he mentioned a helping hands type tool that has flexible cables with alligator clips on each end. I saw something similar at Radio Shack but it doesn't extend too far and isn't very flexible.

How do you twist the wires together? Do you do it so there's a nub sticking up, similar to a twist cap used in housing wiring? I have been just wrapping each wire end around the other.

What about flux? Do I need to apply flux to the connection separately? I have been just relying on the flux in the solder.

Thanks!

The iron and wires will need to be exstemely clean or it will not solder.Cold solder joints suck too!

Agreed. Does electrical contact cleaner spray works okay?

That stringy shit that covers the stator wires is a pain to get off.

contact cleaner works great. A little flux wouldn't hurt to help the solder flow better. As shawn said cold sloder joints are a pain. I would use your solder gun and take your time to get the joint nice and hot before you put the solder to it.

contact cleaner works great. A little flux wouldn't hurt to help the solder flow better. As shawn said cold sloder joints are a pain. I would use your solder gun and take your time to get the joint nice and hot before you put the solder to it.

Rob, thanks. With a 140 watt gun how long to heat the wire up? I'm worried about melting the insulation.

Rob, thanks. With a 140 watt gun how long to heat the wire up? I'm worried about melting the insulation.

From my experience it doesnt matter too much about the insulation, you are going to be wrapping it with electrical tape afterwards anyways. Also from my experience dont use the gun, 140 watts is a lot for that little wire. Use your iron and hold it there until you can touch your solder to the wire, not the iron, and it flows instantly. If I had to guess with 40 watts and the guage of the wire it is going to be at least a full minute if not more. If you do use the gun be careful, their tips are bigger and you can do collateral damage. Also use a flat tip on your iron, not the pointy one. You will get better heat transfer to the whole joint
Cheers:cheers:

It shouldn't take long with the gun at all. You can use the iron if you feel safer, it will just take longer. I am not very patient so I use the gun. Don't worry too much about the insulation. I use heat shrink tubing to slide over the solder then electrical tape. As RM said use the flat tip if you have it and touch the solder to the wire not the iron. Solder will flow towards heat thats how you will know when you have heated it enough.

From my experience it doesnt matter too much about the insulation, you are going to be wrapping it with electrical tape afterwards anyways. Also from my experience dont use the gun, 140 watts is a lot for that little wire. Use your iron and hold it there until you can touch your solder to the wire, not the iron, and it flows instantly. If I had to guess with 40 watts and the guage of the wire it is going to be at least a full minute if not more. If you do use the gun be careful, their tips are bigger and you can do collateral damage. Also use a flat tip on your iron, not the pointy one. You will get better heat transfer to the whole joint
Cheers:cheers:
Cheers! I need to go get the chisel tip for my iron...I only have the pointed tip.

It shouldn't take long with the gun at all. You can use the iron if you feel safer, it will just take longer. I am not very patient so I use the gun. Don't worry too much about the insulation. I use heat shrink tubing to slide over the solder then electrical tape. As RM said use the flat tip if you have it and touch the solder to the wire not the iron. Solder will flow towards heat thats how you will know when you have heated it enough.

Coolio, thanks for the reminder....I need to pick up some more heat tubing as well.

When I did mine I butt spliced them and then soldered the butt splice, heating it up till it would draw the solder down into it; that way you also have mechanical strength in the splice as well.

Yea that tip would work. All you're doing is trying increase the contact area for better heat transfer.

When I did mine I butt spliced them and then soldered the butt splice, heating it up till it would draw the solder down into it; that way you also have mechanical strength in the splice as well.

Rusty, do you apply heat to one end and then solder from other end?

Do I need to worry about melting the plastic of the connector?

Rusty, do you apply heat to one end and then solder from other end?

Do I need to worry about melting the plastic of the connector?

I think Rusty is using the uninsulated butt splices so there is no plastic coating on them.

Ah, that makes sense. I've never seen an uninsulated butt before. Thanks Buster.

:biglaugh:

Long time ago, my wife & I were out snowmobiling, and she had to take a pee.

I saw a uninsulated butt that day.

I've done so much soldering it's silly.

Quick tips:

Make sure wires are clean, you don't have to get carried away though.

Tin each wire seperately, which makes soldering the two wires together so much easier.

Keep the heat shrink as far down and away from the wires your soldering, it sucks when the heat conducts through the wire and the heat shrink shrinks down before you get it covered.

The little aligator clip thing is nice, but a second set of hands is better. I con my wife out in the garage for 5 minutes after I get everything tinned and ready to go, or have my dad come over.

Latest posts

Back