Something has always concerned me with the geometry...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAXMS

Reaction score
The back end, rear tire seems not to be centered and the left shock is not parallel to the one on the right. The bottom connection of the left shock looks like it should be more to the right. Any thoughts on this? I have not altered the rear end or rear tire and it has always ridden just fine down the road at any speed.

Attachments

• geometry.jpg
    geometry.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 101
An OEM gen 1 has an offset to the right. Its not much. Maybe 3/8"
Yours looks to be offset to the left.
Not sure whats going on there.
Are you the original owner?

Looks like Porogessive Suspension shocks, a set of slip-on exhausts, aftermarket fender & turnsignals. The wheel does appear to be extremely offset, left. Post a pic of the axle area on both sides, from up and above, looking-down at the top of the axle area.

An OEM gen 1 has an offset to the right. Its not much. Maybe 3/8"
Yours looks to be offset to the left.
Not sure whats going on there.
Are you the original owner?
I am the third owner and will upload some pics from the left and the right. Thanks for any insight.

Looks like Porogessive Suspension shocks, a set of slip-on exhausts, aftermarket fender & turnsignals. The wheel does appear to be extremely offset, left. Post a pic of the axle area on both sides, from up and above, looking-down at the top of the axle area.
You nailed everything correctly, but the rear fender is stock. I eliminated the rear brake light.

A couple of more pics

Attachments

• 20190604_185359.jpg
    20190604_185359.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 20190604_185446.jpg
    20190604_185446.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 82
The back end, rear tire seems not to be centered and the left shock is not parallel to the one on the right. The bottom connection of the left shock looks like it should be more to the right. Any thoughts on this? I have not altered the rear end or rear tire and it has always ridden just fine down the road at any speed.
That ain't right guy! Check for correct assembly of the axle components to make sure the PO did it right. I'm betting he didn't.

If you plan on traveling to Florida, be ready to pay a ticket for that vertical license plate. Other states have this prohibition as well.

NO brake light!? ...WOW! I think ALL states require this! And for good reason!
MjE4MjY3OA-70945821.png

That ain't right guy! Check for correct assembly of the axle components to make sure the PO did it right. I'm betting he didn't.

If you plan on traveling to Florida, be ready to pay a ticket for that vertical license plate. Other states have this prohibition as well.

NO brake light!? ...WOW! I think ALL states require this! And for good reason!
MjE4MjY3OA-70945821.png
Yes, I know something isn't right, but it does 120 with no problem. Also, it does have a taillight and no I have 0 interest in Florida. Arizona, now that's a different retirement option for me.

Hard to tell what is going on there but something seems amiss. I would say further investigation is required.
Check the swingarm for signs of distress.
Pop the covers on the swingarm pivot bolts to see if someone swapped them.
Maybe its just an optical illusion?

I've attached a couple shots of the rear tire on mine back when it had a stock arm and wheel.

Attachments

• DSC03647.JPG
    DSC03647.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC02258.JPG
    DSC02258.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 60
Yes, I know something isn't right,
And I suggested what that "something" might be.

...but it does 120 with no problem.
You're doing 120 MPH on a motorcycle that you admit has a problem WITHOUT knowing what that problem is!?

Also, it does have a taillight
You said it didn't have a BRAKE LIGHT and that's what you removed when you removed the brake/taillight/mudflap assembly. So drivers closing behind you as you're braking MIGHT be able to tell you're slowing as you're throwing water onto their windshield... or they might NOT!

Oh well, the rear looks so COOL without that big, ugly brake/tail/mudflap assembly. I guess, to you, it's worth the risk. It might not be to the the driver behind you, with whom you share the road, as she runs into a telephone pole with her children to keep from hitting you.

and no I have 0 interest in Florida. Arizona, now that's a different retirement option for me.
Florida is ONE of the states that has this law. If Arizona doesn't, then maybe you can trailer your bike through the states that do in order to retire there.

Last edited:
And I suggested what that "something" might be.

You're doing 120 MPH on a motorcycle that you admit has a problem WITHOUT knowing what that problem is!?

You said it didn't have a BRAKE LIGHT and that's what you removed when you removed the brake/taillight/mudflap assembly. So drivers closing behind you as you're braking MIGHT be able to tell you're slowing as you're throwing water onto their windshield... or they might NOT!

Oh well, the rear looks so COOL without that big, ugly brake/tail/mudflap assembly. I guess, to you, it's worth the risk. It might not be to the the driver behind you, with whom you share the road, as she runs into a telephone pole with her children to keep from hitting you.

Florida is ONE of the states that has this law. If Arizona doesn't, then maybe you can trailer your bike through the states that do in order to retire there.
The brake light is sufficient, maybe not to your standards but then again your opinion isn't what I was looking for within the original post. Stay on topic squirrel. In addition, there isn't a problem with the bike going down the road, at whatever speed. Got it? It's actually a fact, I'm just reaching out to the group for any insight as to the overall alignment, not a critical analysis of my overall bike. I probably shouldn't share a pic of the front of the bike, otherwise I will find out which states I can't pass through.

Thank you Edward. I've never truly loved the plate off to the side. Really like a balanced looking bike, front or back. Thank you for inspiring me to work on my fabrication skills tonight. And it holds up at 120 mph too.20190607_185733.jpg

Looks a bit like the fender is a bit crocked (they can sit a little off in either direction)

Sorry to sound so harsh. But I try to be mindful of others on this list who are novices and may not have taken the MSF/RSS course. God forbid, they should get the idea that motorcycling is as safe a driving a car.

Motorcycling Safety Foundation Riding and Street Skills.

do you know the history of the bike, could it be that the rear of the frame may be out of line ?, other than that it looks like it might possibly be a swingarm related issue, a wheel related problem shouldn't make the shock absorbers sit at an angle, good luck with it

Hard to tell what is going on there but something seems amiss. I would say further investigation is required.
Check the swingarm for signs of distress.
Pop the covers on the swingarm pivot bolts to see if someone swapped them.
Maybe its just an optical illusion?

I've attached a couple shots of the rear tire on mine back when it had a stock arm and wheel.

I'm wondering too, that possibly the adjuster got installed on the left side of the swingarm?

Back