Speeding ticket etiquette

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
Theoretical question.If traveling in a group and all are speeding and a cop comes up from behind..does everyone pull over or is there a designated fall guy.. and what does the cop do if only one pulls over?

This is like that bear in the woods theory!

2 guys are walking through the woods, all of a sudden they see a bear about 100 yards away! First guy says... Do you think we can outrun him? Or should we climb a tree?
2nd Guy drops his gear takes off his boots and starts putting on his sneakers.
1st guy says are you nuts? YOUR Changing your shoes now?
2nd guy says... Well the way I see it, I don't have to out run the bear... I just have to outrun you!

This is like that bear in the woods theory!

2 guys are walking through the woods, all of a sudden they see a bear about 100 yards away! First guy says... Do you think we can outrun him? Or should we climb a tree?
2nd Guy drops his gear takes off his boots and starts putting on his sneakers.
1st guy says are you nuts? YOUR Changing your shoes now?
2nd guy says... Well the way I see it, I don't have to out run the bear... I just have to outrun you!

Been there in real life man! Brown bear in Manitoba!

As for the cop... I would pull over no matter where in the line I was.

THE DEAL I ALWAYS MADE ( FOR MY INTIRE LIFE ) AND STILL NOW ! IS I'M NOT STOPPING & YOU GUY'S DON'T KNOW ME ! AND THEY ALL AGREE ! I'M NOT SAYING I'D RUN IN BROAD DAYLIGHT FOR MAKING A RIGHT ON RED WHEN I WAS'NT SUPPOSED TO ,OR FOR SOMETHING MINOR , BUT BET YOUR ASSES IF I'M DOING 90 MPH'S IN A 55 MPH ZONE , I'M GOING TO BE DOING 150 MPH'S IN 3 MORE SECONDS ! I'M GONE ! NO MATTER WHAT !!!!!! :double angry bird: SCREW THE COPS !

I'M OLD SCHOOL ! I WOULD NEVER EVER RIDE WITH ANYONE THAT WOULD RAT ANYONE OUT ! EVER ! I'M LOYAL TO MY FRIENDS & ANYONE WHO BENDS THE RULE'S SOMETIMES ! AND I'M A MAN OF MY WORD !

This actually happened to me recently...

Was riding with a good friend and my bro. Was still breaking in my Max and not used to speed/RPMS, etc.

Came around a corner (second person in line), and hit my boost, was going about ~100 in a 35. It's an open mountain rode where we all hit it.. Didn't see the cop sitting way down there (as I was looking at my tac like a moron)

Cop pulls out, and I finally see him- my friend in the R6 hit his breaks a little before me. My Max doesn't stop as fast so I'm locking up my tire to avoid running into him or passing him.

My bro comes around the corner a little behind us. I'm freaking out because I know we were flying.... I kow their's a turn off to the right up ahead, and then the road splits. 3 ways.. 3 bikes.

Mike (the guy on the R6) and I know to split.. so as the cop starts to come towards us.. I know that if he turns I'm going straight.. if he goes straight I'm turning..

And we all know the rule..

"I have no idea who those guys where - ran into them on the road.. we started riding in formation because it's safer... Officer.. Sir.."

------------

To make a long story short(er)- we didn't get pulled over. Mike, who knew his bike, saw the cop pull over as we came around the corner.. luckily he didn't have his radar on.. and we hit our breaks just in time...

Regardless.... as I saw the cop come up, I was trying to decide whether to U-turn and take a chance.. or keep going.

Personally... I'd say do whatever the other people aren't doing. If the turn and the lights are flashing - go straight and deny knowing them.

If you're on a highway.. I'd say keep going but dont' accelerate.. if he comes to get you,.. the other people are safe.. if he asks why you didn't stop. it's those stupid "STOCK" mirrors that don't show very much behind you.. and you're real sorry..

but while you're apologizing your friends are good.

Just my thoughts... I wouldn't run.. I'd want too.. but especially on my Max where I worry about top speeds- I'd just hope the number of tickets is minimal...

-JO

MAKES SENCE , SPLITTING UP AND ALL , I JUST DON'T WANT TO BE THE ONE TALKING TO THE COP ! "LOL" :rofl_200:

Theoretical question.If traveling in a group and all are speeding and a cop comes up from behind..does everyone pull over or is there a designated fall guy.. and what does the cop do if only one pulls over?

I'd pull over when he "makes" me pull over, not just becuase someone else is pulling over.

Rusty

This just happened to a group of us 3 weeks ago. There were 4 of us and a cop was coming the other way. He turned around and when we came to a stop sign one buddy went to the right, one went to the left and 2 of us went straight. Of course the cop came after the 2 of us while my 2 buddies split up.
Of course the cop asked "Who were the other 2 you were riding with" One and ONLY answer to this is "I dont know we met at the local convienant store and decided to ride together I dont them personally"

If riding on a highway and a cop comes up behind and you dont have time to split, usually the last guy pulls over. But if you ride a VMAX its very rare to ride in the back thats why we make all Harleys ride in the back!

I'd pull over when he "makes" me pull over, not just becuase someone else is pulling over.

Rusty

If you're on the max I don't think a cop can make you pull over. :eusa_dance: Unless of course its one of the two hayabusas the Oklahoma Highway Patrol has.

If you're on the max I don't think a cop can make you pull over. :eusa_dance: Unless of course its one of the two hayabusas the Oklahoma Highway Patrol has.

Harris county has an intense amount of Houston Police, County Sheriffs deputies, local suburbun police, Highway patrol, and volunteer constables.

They also have a shitload of helicopters and all these departments can communicate with each other since the infusion of homeland security dollars put 'em all on the same or compatible radio systems.

As well as quite often around here these chases end up with the runner dead because the cops shoot'em when they make a "sudden" movement or pull out a "shiny" object. You can't expect to run from the police without some tempers flaring on the laws part when they catch you, it tends to piss'em off....ALOT

If they don't shoot you they're gonna give you a good "tuneup" for sure....

Running from the police is a Felony in Texas, and at 44 with a family and career I'd feel abolutely like a fucking idiot to risk getting arrested and prosecuted, going to jail, possibly losing a job, and sure as hell setting a REALLY nice example for my 18 year old daughter....
...... trying to avoid something that I can simply sit down in front of a computer for 4 hours and make go away through defensive driving; although speeding 25 over or more than 95 and you can't take it, ......
.....but what the hell, I almost never get pulled over anyway, I've been pulled over once in 3.5 years on my bike; and that was doing about 115 ( one way 3 lane highway with no traffic) near home; I was super polite, friendlyy and humble about it and the guy ended up just telling me to chill out and take it to the track, no ticket. He also complimented me on my bike and the fact that I had full gear on.

Running from the police fails the most basic risk-benefit analysis, and puts others in danger, usually someone get hurt and hurt badly and a lot of the time it some innocent bystanders.

You might get away (I'll admit I did it once when I was 21 and did get away) but what about the mom and kids in the mini-van that didn't hear the siren and ended up dead when hit by the police car; is that the polices fault for attempting to enforce the law or your's for breaking it and creating it in the first place?

When I say they have to make me, I just mean that they are going to have to pick me out of the masses or make it otherwise obvious that I am to pull over; I'm not going to just pull over because someone In the group I'm in is getting pulled over.

Rusty

Harris county has an intense amount of Houston Police, County Sheriffs deputies, local suburbun police, Highway patrol, and volunteer constables.

They also have a shitload of helicopters and all these departments can communicate with each other since the infusion of homeland security dollars put 'em all on the same or compatible radio systems.

As well as quite often around here these chases end up with the runner dead because the cops shoot'em when they make a "sudden" movement or pull out a "shiny" object. You can't expect to run from the police without some tempers flaring on the laws part when they catch you, it tends to piss'em off....ALOT

Running from the police is a Felony in Texas, and at 44 with a family and career I'd feel abolutely like a fucking idiot to risk getting arrested and prosecuted, going to jail, possibly losing a job, and sure as hell setting a REALLY nice example for my 18 year old daughter....
...... trying to avoid something that I can simply sit down in front of a computer for 4 hours and make go away through defensive driving; although speeding 25 over or more than 95 and you can't take it, ......
.....but what the hell, I almost never get pulled over anyway, I've been pulled over once in 3.5 years on my bike; and that was doing about 115 ( one way 3 lane highway with no traffic) near home; I was super polite, friendlyy and humble about it and the guy ended up just telling me to chill out and take it to the track, no ticket. He also complimented me on my bike and the fact that I had full gear on.

Running from the police fails the most basic risk-benefit analysis, and puts others in danger, usually someone get hurt and hurt badly and a lot of the time it some innocent bystanders.

You might get away (I'll admit I did it once when I was 21 and did get away) but what about the mom and kids in the mini-van that didn't hear the siren and ended up dead when hit by the police car; is that the polices fault for attempting to enforce the law or your's for breaking it and creating it in the first place?

When I say they have to make me, I just mean that they are going to have to pick me out of the masses or make it otherwise obvious that I am to pull over; I'm not going to just pull over because someone In the group I'm in is getting pulled over.

Rusty

Wow Rusty! Thats awesome. You pointed out a lot of good points as far as setting examples. Most likely I would have the same attitude if I had children.
I am not sure here in TN but I think they are not allowed to continue the chase if it involves high speeds or unless they know the person commited a felony.
95% of the times I have been chased by police I was able to get out of there site within 3 mins. I will admit having a kerker exhaust it does make it more difficult.
The longest chase I has was when I was 19 on a new GSXR750 which lasted over 15 minutes and involved 3 different townships.

I think most cops even more so the younger ones get a thrill out of chasing. I am not sure if it is felony in the state TN. I do know if you do get caught you will be paying some major fines. Anything over 20 they can revoke your liscense.

I don't understand running from the cops in the first place. What have you done that is so wrong? Popped a wheelie, burning the back tire, speeding? None of those things are that bad, if you pull over and act like an adult and treat the cop with respect he might not even give you a ticket.

Did have a cop pull a group of us over a few years back..turns out he had a Max and wanted to know where I got my aftermarket swingarm from

Rusty

I think this is excellent advice.

Probably the only time that "running" would even cross my mind is if I were on my dirt bike. And then I still probably wouldn't. As frosty alluded, what have you done that is so wrong?

I once had a cop follow me in my car for about 10 miles and I didn't know it. Was trying to get somewhere quick. Was doing like 5 or 10 over but was passing people and driving fairly aggressively. He basically chalked up all these things that I did wrong and slapped me with a reckless driving ticket. That REALLY pissed me off, but I paid the fine and got over it.

My chances are high of getting pulled over on the bike because who rides the Max around at 10mph? You're breaking the law with a 2 second blip of the throttle in 1st gear. But still wouldn't run.

I've been watching cop chases on TV for probably the past 13 years. Saw a Corvette running at about 165, had to change lanes to avoid a big rig, ended up fishtailing into it and virtually disintegrated. Person lived. Saw another one where a person on a bike ran from the cops. Tried to bust through an intersection and t-boned a bus. A guy I know was running from the cops years ago down the street and couldn't make the 90 degree turn at the end. Took out a barbed wire fence. When I lived in Bristol PA, I heard the whine of a bike engine. Then this bullet bike whizzes right by me. Two people on the bike. They go over a speed bump. Passenger falls off and skids along the road. Hops up and starts running away. Bike chase continued.

Running, when compared with possible death, injury, loss of job, felony, family shame, jail time, etc., just doesn't seem to stack up.

I do have to say that hearing about everyone else's running stories is quite entertaining, though!

Rusty

I totally agree with you, just more of a joke. I would in know way ever think about running from a cop. Thats just asking to die, especially on a bike.

I don't understand running from the cops in the first place. What have you done that is so wrong? Popped a wheelie, burning the back tire, speeding? None of those things are that bad, if you pull over and act like an adult and treat the cop with respect he might not even give you a ticket.

Do any of those things, speeding by 50km/h over speed limit, burnout (even in a parking lot), wheelies etc. and you get charged for racing here in Ontario. They suspend your license for a week, impound your vehicle for a week, and up to a $10k fine. That can make one really think about hauling :10_6_8: Know that a lot of young guys on their crotch rockets are just going to run.

In the past when I used to get pulled over a lot more often, every single time when on a bike I would think about it........

But my small town badboy brushes with the law, of which there were many, kinda got a lot of risk taking out of my system when it comes to the law.

I'm not scared of getting a ticket, and ride the holy piss out of my bike but I'm really careful about where and when, and running the freeways in Houston can be a bit of an art when it comes to using other cars to avoid radar and the Biggie is watching every one elses brake lights WAY up the road, they'll tell you when there's a cop everytime...Almost:biglaugh:

But when I get caught I figure I'm caught.

Latest posts

Back