Speedo Dead?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Lee-

Reaction score
I was driving home from Stuttgart on Saturday when my speedometer needle started jumping around and finally just stayed on zero. I knew it had to be wrong since I was sure to be travelling about 80MPH according to my GPS and things were whizzing by.

I have checked the cable and it seems to be fine. My simple test was to twist the cable at one end and see if it turns at the other end. There is no binding or hesitation. I have another on order just to be sure.

My question to you is: How can I test to see if my speedometer is dead?

TIA

You could rig up some piece of wood or something and chuck it in a drill then fit it to the speedo. drilll away?

Did you test the electrical connection (2-pin) inside the headlight shell?

Good call, I forgot the connection is for the speedo light.

Thanks for checking up on me....you're a good mo-fo, Lankee. :biglaugh:

Good call, I forgot the connection is for the speedo light.

Thanks for checking up on me....you're a good mo-fo, Lankee. :biglaugh:

I was getting a lil nervous your a pretty smart fellor or was it they told me a fart smeller? :ummm:
Anyways its all good, its monday we'll make it buddy :clapping:

You could rig up some piece of wood or something and chuck it in a drill then fit it to the speedo. drilll away?

I am not quite sure that I am following your chain of thought here. Are you saying to put a piece of wood into the speedometer somehow? :ummm:

I am not quite sure that I am following your chain of thought here. Are you saying to put a piece of wood into the speedometer somehow? :ummm:

I believe what he is suggesting is that you disconnect the speedo cable from the sender unit by the wheel and hook that end up to a drill. If the speedo works when you turn the drill on then there is something wrong with the sender unit.

Have you checked the obvious - look at the drive cable. You can unhook it from the bottm and pull it out and look to see if it's intact.

Sean

Have you checked the obvious - look at the drive cable. You can unhook it from the bottom and pull it out and look to see if it's intact.

Sean

I believe he checked that in his original post.

I believe what he is suggesting is that you disconnect the speedo cable from the sender unit by the wheel and hook that end up to a drill. If the speedo works when you turn the drill on then there is something wrong with the sender unit.

You don't even need to use the drill. Unhook the cable from the gearbox and give it a spin, have someone else watch the speedo or watch it yourself, if it moves your cable is fine and the speedo is fine. Remove the front wheel and check the "clutch meter" (that is the metal ring with 2 ears on it that engage the speedo drive unit. This has happened to me before and that ring was the problem (had someone other than myself install my front wheel and he didn't pay attention and bent the ears on the ring). Nice thing is this part and the associated seal are not to expensive. Also take the opportunity to disassemble the speedo drive, clean it, and re-grease. Of course your speedo drive can also die......... If that is the case there are lots of used ones out there or go digital.

We just had a bike that had a similar issue. The speedo actually broke. He didn't even pay attention at first but ended up noticing that the odometer still functions. Might be worth a check to see if it's working. If so the speedo is bad.

Sean

We just had a bike that had a similar issue. The speedo actually broke. He didn't even pay attention at first but ended up noticing that the odometer still functions. Might be worth a check to see if it's working. If so the speedo is bad.

Sean

Sean, All,

The Odometer is also not working. I want to wait until I have the new speedometer cable and try that 1st before I break apart the speedometer. Keep your various appendages crossed for me.

I do want to get it fixed really soon because I am leaving on Sunday. Flying to St. Louis for a week, then to Huntsville, Alabama for 4 days, then to Colorado Springs to see my folks for 4 days. I will not be back home until the 25th.

I had the same problem when i let my brother put my front tire on for me and he didn't line up the tabs for the speedo sender. The way i checked it was i disconnented the speedo cable from the sender and gave it a spin, had someone watch the speedo needle. It did move so i knew the problem was in the sender. took off the wheel and found the problem. Hope it is that easy for you.

Back