Stage 7 needles

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veebooster

Reaction score
Carb gurus: why would a stage 7 needle start causing a slide to stick?
Situation: #2 carb slide sticking. Remove the needle its good. Put the needle back it sticks (white screw loose needle floats freely in the slide). Move the whole thing to another carb it sticks there too. Tried another slide/needle in #2 its good.

The needle looks fine nothing on it etc and it worked before. I just can't think of why it would suddenly be a problem other than I did just change main jets.

Dale

Dale,
A few things can cause the issue you are having.
While installing the needle into the slide you must have the dart/tit on the nylon needle retainer seated properly into the small hole in the diaphragm slide. Also if you are using an aggressive clip position like clip #4 or #5 this can cause the blind end of the needle to bottom out/bind against the white needle cap screw. I have had to grind/shorten the blind end slightly to prevent this binding on some stage seven needles. Regardless when done the needle must float/wobble about the slide hole so it can self center once installed back into the carb body.

Dale, It sounds like, if the plastic teet is in the hole on the slide, the needle is bent and cocking the slide. Roll the needle on something flat like glass. Guru? I've too much to learn for that status.

Thanks guys. Yeah the little teat is properly seated. (that was the 1st thing I checked!)
I don't know how the needle would be bent but I'll check it. Damon & Danny,I have it on the 3rd clip but I'll check what you guys are saying as well. I never would have thought about bottoming on that screw!
Dale

Did that needle so how get bent just a little? Try switching which carb it's in to see if it's the needle or something else. Just a easy idea to check something else what it. Maybe check the slide while your at it, well if you check this.

Did that needle so how get bent just a little? Try switching which carb it's in to see if it's the needle or something else. Just a easy idea to check something else what it. Maybe check the slide while your at it, well if you check this.

It's definitely the needle or how it sits in the slide. Slide by itself works great.

Dale

You might talk to Sean, Kyle, or john and get a used one cheap to replaced it. The only reason I said you might want to switch the slide and needle. Something in the carb body could be catching that needle when it goes to seat or close the slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You said the slide works great. I would try a different slide and needle from another carb....just to verify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did swap them around. other ones work perfectly in #2 and the original #2 sticks wherever I put it. I can't see anything wrong with the needle itself and doesn't appear bent. (but the tip is really small). I've loosened up the white slide screw and I can change the way it sticks by doing so. In fact it's almost good. So as suggested I'll have a look at that screw. I may need a new needle.

Dale

Dale.....with the needle in place and the cap screw tightened down is there a little play in the needle, both horizontally & vertically?

Also, looking down the carb throat as you insert the slide & needle....does the needle go into the center of the needle jet hole or start drifting to the side, the further the slide goes in, and eventually binding up?

If the answer to #1 is no and #2 is yes PM me your address and I'll send you a cap screw with a bit shaved off the bottom....see what that does.

Back