stage 7 on my 98

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdogmason

Reaction score
I am still learning the Vmax so please be easy, I purchased this 98 and the owner told me that the bike has a stage 7 jet kit. The bike has slip-ons and I am currently dealing with Sean Morley to get myself a full exhaust system to pull as much HP as possible. My question for this thread is, how do I tell that the bike actually has the stage 7 kit? I have read so many post about the kit and have confused myself through-out reading. My bike still has the v-boost at 6k, I can feel and hear it kick in, I though that a stage 7 was not suppose to have the v-boost. I have four K@N fillters on the carbs with no airbox, but other than that how would I know that the stage 7 was installed? I am having issues around 5k sputtering and falling off, but I am thinking that the full exhaust system is going to cure this problem. One other question, does anyone know a great Vmaxer with tunning and dyno ablility close to Maryland. I notice that alot of you fellas are in not on the east coast. I don't trust my local Stealer and most of the dyno shop specialize in Crotch Rockets and I don't want to go to a Vmax Stupid Facility.

Does it have the large breather tube coming out of the oil fill? You can have V-boost with Stage 7.

I would look into buying Morley's air box and getting rid of the separate filters.

You can also look in the top of the carbs and see the little brass air correctors pressed into the jets on top if it has stage 7.

I can't answer all your questions but I'll try on a couple.

Stage 7 kit is a selection of slide needles, jets, air correctors (to allow the airbox to be removed) and V-boost eliminator tubes.

The Filters are sold separately.

Some people install the complete stage 7 without removing the Vboost, it could still have the individual filters. There's nothing wrong with that approach.

Worse yet someone could have just installed the filters without the air correctors and it'll run like hooey.

I think the only way to tell for sure is to look at the jets and needles to verify what was actually done to the carbs themselves.

The needles will have some c-clips with multiple positions they can go in.

There's also a hole in the face of the slide that can be enlarged with the installation of a stg 7 kit but it's not always done either, and a lot of people say it's shouldn't be anyways. Looking at the hole closely can tell you if it's been drilled or not by the smoothness of the edges.

I think you can also look down into the top of the carbs and around the edge there will be some differences from stock in the various brass jets if the stage 7 pieces were put in right.

There are a couple of carb guru's here that will probably check in shortly and flesh this out.

Rusty

Remove one of the air filters and look at the top of the carb. You should see two brass jets up top. One should say 90 on top and the other should have a tiny hole. If not and it has a large orifice then most likely they just plopped some air filters on top and didn't use the stage 7 jet kit.

You can look at the needles too. Pull one and it should be adjustable and look like the stage 7 needle shown here:

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=3208

Ok, I will check them out tonight or tomorrow, thanks for the assistance so far. I will post my findings, just to keep you fellas in the loop. I hope that somebody with some vmax knowlege did the correct job on this bike. I would hate to have to start from fresh or fix someone else's mess.

Yeah, I totally agree. I feel pretty good about the bike though, it is very clean and runs very well, but I have never owned or ridin a Vmax so I don't have anything to compare it to. It feels fast as shit and could very well be setup with stage 7 with everthing installed perfect except for exhaust but like I said, I don't have anything to compare. I guess it's just me being anal about the tunning and set up. I don't know if you followed my clutch problem but I bleed that out the other night and it works perfect, thanks to maleko. I have been using Forums for all my toy for a few years now and I can't say enough good stuff about them. I have learned everything I know pretty much through others that post and share info. I have a 74 Charger though and that forum is dead, like three dudes that post and they don't share shit.

Latest posts

Back