Starter Cranking, but Engine Not Firing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeivan32

Reaction score
There are some threads that seem to be close, but I am trying to narrow down the problem specifically to mine so as not to replace working items.

up until this week, I had no problems with starting (needed a little throttle, but not excessive). All of a sudden (during some high 30 degree weather) I couldn't get the engine to fire. The starter seemed to be engaging (or attempting to) but eventually it would wind down the battery. So, i thought that the battery needed to be charged (though I thought this to be unusual due to the fact that it is a fairly new battery and I had just started it 5 days earlier). So, I charged the battery and same thing.........starter was engaging but it the engine just didn't seem to want to fire.

(side note....afteer reading another post, I stumbled upon the fact that my connecting choke pin had slipped out of the right side plunger. Nice). My problem seems to be electrical, and I can't seem to isolate it. My spark plugs look a little dark (oil deposits?), but I am not sure that this is the issue (however until I get new plugs from mail order because I live in no mans land and the local autozone doesn't have them, I won't know).

anyhow, does this sound familiar to anyone out there. If the recommendation is to start testing voltage, ohms, etc..., can someone recommend the best "all-in-one" tester to cover bases here? I have a pocket tester, but am not sure I used it with 100% accuracy when testing the starter relay (1k setting produced dial movement all the way to the right which is zero, however I do get one click when pressing the start button. Thought it might be starter relay resistence, but am I barking up the wrong tree here?).

Fuses all seem to be in tact. Did accidentally contact screwdriver and positive post to a ground that created sparks, but the problem was existing prior to that mistake.

Has been close to firing, but just won't make it over the hump.

Any help is much appreciated.

It's a '96 with 10k miles on it and I live at 7500 elevation (know that shouldn't have anything to do with electrical, but thought I'd throw it in there).

Obviously a bit of a noob here, so layman's terms would be helpful.

When you say the starter is engaging, do you mean it just clicks but doesn't turn, or does it actually crank the engine but it won't fire up?

What I would do first is connect a car battery or booster to your battery poles and try again. If that works it's your battery that's dead. Remember that sometimes batteries can die even if they aren't that old - I've had 18 month-old batteries completely go on me for no apparent reason..

Lay the multi meter down, lets not get all Mr Wizard so quick.

First. Your assuming no spark. But you cant verify this.

First thing I would do since it seems you ran the battery down but you stated you charged it, (Hopefully with a 1.0 1.5 amp charger float style)

Ensure your choke is working properly.
Crank the engine over... NO MORE THAN 3-4 seconds or you will be buying a new 200.00 starter. After the first attempt, now hopld the throttle wide open and try starting it.

Still not starting?:confused2:

pull all 4 of your spark plugs.
Do they look like each other all 4 ?
Are they wet shiney wet and smell like fuel?
Are they carbon deposit on them?

If they are dry,, you have a fuel issue.
If they are wet you have an electrical issue.

Please report back after this stage with detailed answers..

By the way, I know my Autozone doesnt show a DPR9EA or a DPR8EA in stock but they have em on the shelf in the back, dont ask me why but they do.
Also if Autozone doesnt have them, they can order them for you and have em there within 2 days, If the young pimply faced smart ass kid tells you he cant order him because he is to lazy or stupic,, Ask the name of his reginonal manager with a phone number...........

If you dont have wet plugs, and you know you have fuel getting to the carbs more than likely someone stuck a Burrito in your tailpipe, take it out quickly and send it to the following address..

LANKEEYANKEE
B69 Smartass Ln.
Nashvegas, TN. 37072

NaughtyG - Yes, the engine is cranking, but it won't fire up (has come close a couple times, which is more irritating, but it doesn't actually "turn over").

Yankee -

1. Choke seems to be working now (as previously mentioned, the connecting pin to the plungers had fallen out on the non-lever side of the bike. In other words, only one plunger was working until recently. That is now been remedied).

2. Tried the start, then throttle open start with no success

3. Pulled all 4 spark plugs - They were all pretty wet and shiny (smell like fuel) and pretty black, but they all look similar. Thanks for the tip on the incompetence of Autozone. It was an over the phone "computer check" only. Guarantee no attempt to look in the back was made.

I've found my old vmax (94) gave me problems when the weather was colder, starting it in the morning. I've heard before that you need alot from a battery to start v-max's...

anyways, basically i just made sure my water level was right in my battery, cleaned the terminals and set up a trickle charger. The kind that straps onto the battery and has a plug i tucked behind the side panel. when it was supposed to drop below say 50?, i'd plug it in overnight. didn't have a problem since then.....

hope that helps!

A low battery will cause a VMAX not to start. It will crank over fine but it wont have enough fire for the coils. I would suggest trickle charge it to the max.

If your plugs are wet, than you have no spark or weak spark..
Do you know how to look at the spark when the engine is cranking?

With all the spark plugs in be SURE to clean around the head where the spark plug screws in with some good cleaner such as 409. take an air house to blow any loose debri.
Remove all spark plugs
Pick one plug any, and lay it against part of the head as a ground in the spark plug boot, crank over the engine as you are looking at the spark plug. WARNING! DONT TOUCH THE ENGINE OR SPARK PLUG OR ANYTHING METAL WHILE CRANKING YOU WILL GET SHOCKED !!
Tell me
If you have spark and if you what color is the spark and do you have spark on all 4 plugs..

Latest posts

Back