Starter issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

355cid

Reaction score
Once again I stand before the elders, seeking their guidance. :biglaugh: Last year I built a 1260 with an approx. compression ratio of 13:1. The pistons were MTC 14:1 pistons but I had to have the valve pockets deepened for the cams I'm running and I had some metal removed from the domes. Fast by Gast did the work and they figured it at 13:1. Anywho, the motor runs like a scalded dog but when I stop and it gets a chance to heat soak, the starter don't have enough torque to refire it. It starts fine cold. What set-up do do they use on really big motors? :ummm: Thanks.

Stock starter is strong enough. Sounds like it's time to clean the wire connection at starter and dissassemble and clean the starter commutator and brushes.

Stock starter is strong enough. Sounds like it's time to clean the wire connection at starter and dissassemble and clean the starter commutator and brushes.

if i can do it, so can you. here you go: HOW TO: rebuild your starter motor (and eliminate Hot Starting problems)
for me, i just followed the how-to, to disassemble so that i could replace the brushes. i'm not sure if this guide talks about shortening or grounding (something you'll hear talk about, in order to relieve yourself from hot start problems), but if it does, i didn't do that bit.

more "starter motor" threads for your edification:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=16405
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=16307
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=15055

Do you have a 4 pole starter or a 2 pole? If it is the original one from your 86, then it is a 2 pole and you should look for a 4 pole.

As far as I know, it's the stock 1986 issue starter. The motor had just a little over 26k on it when I rebuilt it so the starter has seen considerable use. How do I determine if it is a 2 pole or 4 pole unit? Thanks.

My '85 had the original 2 brush with 30k miles...I just broke down and installed a 4 brush from a '02.......I wish I did this 5 years ago.....the worst is stopping for gas and waiting 15 minutes for the bike to cool down.:bang head:after a long ride.
I think the 2 brush has a Phillips screw close to the center of the casing....on the outside.

SM-13 = 4-brush starter; SM-229C = 2-brush starter

The field coils in the 2 brush starter are attached by 2 cross head bolts which are visible on the outside of the centre section of the motor. The 4 brush motor has no visible cross head bolts.

O.K., I remember seeing phillip screws on the starter body when I had the motor apart. When I put it back together I wire-wheeled the cable and terminal so that connection should be sound. I'm thinking an upgrade to a 4-pole unit might be the way to go. It is embarrasing when I stop for gas and it won't re-fire. I use Ebay for parts and I've found that Venture parts are sometimes cheaper than Vmax parts so if I can snag a Venture starter, what year models used the 4-pole version? Thanks.

O.K., I remember seeing phillip screws on the starter body when I had the motor apart. When I put it back together I wire-wheeled the cable and terminal so that connection should be sound. I'm thinking an upgrade to a 4-pole unit might be the way to go. It is embarrasing when I stop for gas and it won't re-fire. I use Ebay for parts and I've found that Venture parts are sometimes cheaper than Vmax parts so if I can snag a Venture starter, what year models used the 4-pole version? Thanks.

1999 ~ rresent are 4 brush Venture starters.

1st gens ended in 1993, the 2nd Gens started in 1999, very different bike overall. The starter is swappable.

Picture of 2 & 4 brush starters attached, as MaxMidnight said there are screws around mid line of outer casing, there are 4 screws. Also pictures of 2 & 4 brush plates attached.

Last picture is a mod that will fix the hot start problem on a 2 brush starter.

Gary

Attachments

• DSC01274.jpg
    DSC01274.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 30
  • starter 1.JPG
    starter 1.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC00938.JPG
    DSC00938.JPG
    201 KB · Views: 34
  • PICT5460.jpg
    PICT5460.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 38
Well, you guys have again been a great help. I guess the logical way to go would be to pull the starter and give it a good cleaning and bend those tabs to ensure a good ground. With the increase in compression ratio and the slight increase in cylinder volume, it's probably working the starting system a little harder than a stock 10:5 motor. If that doesn't fix it, I'll score a 4-pole unit. Thanks again for the input. Larry.

I don't think it's practical to rebuild (regut) one. I have used OEM for $150 though there used to be a new aftermarket on ebay for $100 that I thought someone used and was happy with?

Back