Starter motor whine

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundguy

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm back from a 4000k trip on my max ( golden shower), all
Went well, but now my start motor is making a whine and it's real hard to
Start, even with choke. When it does start it sounds like it's only running
On two or three, but all headers get hot. Once it's running for a
Few minutes it seems ok and restarts quickly.
If I need a new starter motor, can I fit a newer one? Mines a 89.
Thx
Benoit

A 4 brush later model starter is better than our 89's. Is the starter engaged when it whines? If not, the starter drive might be suspect. I'll take a stab at the starting issue and say it might be time for plugs?
Steve-o

The starter is engaged with all the drive gears at all times. The clutch located at left side crank is where the disengagement occurs.
Does it whine every time?

Hmm might be a defective starter clutch as the starter doesn't make that type of sound, the whine may be coming from the engine pushing the starter due defective disengagement of starter clutch...

Low voltage problem to start with + bad starter drawing a higher voltage = no start.................. could account for the misfire until a little charge gets back in the battery.

Normally it starts on first press, engine does one turn and fires up.
When it doesn't start it has a real whine, as it turns over.
Starter engages well, engine turns over nice,
The whine is from the starter.
The engine has always started first hit, so never noticed it before.

Also New battery , new rectifier, new earth setup.
I wonder if I picked up some bad fuel or water in the fuel

Starter bearings??? Starter gears? Confirm you have a stock gasket on the stator cover...

Just pull the starter out, disassemble it, and inspect it. Should be easy to determine still bearings or bad brushes once you have it apart on the work bench.

Latest posts

Back