Stator cover dowel pins

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davesax36

Reaction score
So how important are the stator cover dowel pins? I think the OP might have lost one and filled it in with gasket material or something. This is assuming that I didn't lose it somewhere, but I was pretty careful. I seem to be missing the one closer to the middle gear cover. There was a ton of yamabond in there filling up a bunch of gaps i guess he'd made by not using a real gasket.

Anyway. Is it gonna be a huge deal if I bolt it all back together without one of them, and is there a place I could get another one locally? Like are they super common size or something. There'a motorcycle salvage place here that I hate, but has a lot of parts.

Thanks, guys.

I think Yamaha used the same size for many applications and I bet the salvage has tons of them. Same size as the ones in all the other covers (oil pan is smaller and actually the same as the cam caps). I would say you'd be ok but clearance on the stator and flywheel is very tight so not a lot of room to play with.

the stator cover is not the one to avoid using OEM gaskets... WHat Sean said is important as you have a lot of tight tolerances with starter gears and such... The purpose of the dowels is just to line everything up properly

I'm not nearly as concerned about lining things up since it's got so many bolts. I just don't want to have anything binding or leaking. I'm assuming with the amount of yamabond on there that the po had some bad leaks probably due to not using the real gasket.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

The bolts don't actually keep the cover aligned as there is too much play. Enough in fact to let the stator hit the flywheel. BUT, the two large pins that hold the starter clutch stuff in place should do a good enough job to hold it all aligned well enough.

A gasket on this cover (of all the covers) is critical for the operation of the starter step up gears.

I have the gasket. Maybe I'll go search for a pin tomorrow.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

I've always picked mine up from online places like Bike Bandit, Ronnie's Mail Order, etc.

According to the Yameringha on-line parts fiche they cost $1.49...would have thought it would be easiest to buy from a dealer.

Or am I missing the point here?

They are used all over on all kinds of models. I think they have 3 different pin sizes from what I have seen. Small (cam caps and oil pan), medium (for the covers and oil pump), and large (for the heads).

Back