Steering lock

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmioton

Reaction score
Greetings All.

I have an '88 VMax that I unfortunately must park on the streets of NYC. I've just hit 11k miles today, and she's in beautiful stock condition. A few days ago, someone backed into my bike, knocking it down while the steering lock was engaged. Now, it won't lock in position, as I assume a pin inside was broken. Any idea how to replace that lock?

Also, I've read some threads about gas mileage for the VMAX. Mine is around 18-22 in the city. I drive smooth, low rpms (with a few exceptions!) and still my mileage is awful. She was tuned a few months ago, and no improvement. Oil change, air filter, and fuel filter were also changed. Any ideas?

Thanks. This is my first post, so forgive me if any of these things are complete newbie material!

Don

unsure on the steering lock, but whats ur carb situation? stock? exhaust?

well that aint right! who tuned it and what did they do? its pretty hard to get that bad of mileage with a stock setup!

Triborough Motorcycles in Brooklyn. They came highly recommended. I had a problem with my bike sputtering and killing while driving. Found that my gas tank was oxidizing and clogging my fuel filter. He Cleaned it out and has been fine since. Except that I still get about 57-60miles per tank. It's almost as bad as my jeep!

If you know of any repair/diagnostics in the NYC area, please let me know. Being a transplanted Southerner, i'm a little distrusting of most shops here.

Triborough Motorcycles in Brooklyn. They came highly recommended. I had a problem with my bike sputtering and killing while driving. Found that my gas tank was oxidizing and clogging my fuel filter. He Cleaned it out and has been fine since. Except that I still get about 57-60miles per tank. It's almost as bad as my jeep!

If you know of any repair/diagnostics in the NYC area, please let me know. Being a transplanted Southerner, i'm a little distrusting of most shops here.

How far are u from schenectady?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Don

To get the lock barrel out you need to remove the lock cover (drill out the retaining rivet) and then put the key in the lock.

You can then withdraw the barrel and locking pin.

I hope that you are not relying on the steering lock to prevent theft?
It would deter only the most moronic of thieves; a couple of good pull on the bars can usually shear the pin.

Chain the bike to an immovable object if you want to keep it!

There are not many shops out there that specialize in Vmax repair. PCW is one of them. I would take the 3 hr ride if you need help with the bike. It sounds like you do. They are a very reputable shop and I'm sure they can help you out

http://www.pcwracing.net/

that was the point i was going for mike, it might be worth the ride to make sure its taken care of. they know their shit and won't steer you wrong. if the carbs are right (which id doubt) it could be valves which they would do as well.

i'm sure you could work something out with them too telling them you are coming from a distance and want the bike started in the morning when you get there with ample planning?

It must be running mucho rich to get that mileage that bad. In town driving is never as good but you should still see at least high 20's to low 30's. With careful driving you can push 40 on the highway.

Invest in one of those super heavy duty chain loops that cost like $150. Even powered hydraulic shears will have a tough time and manual bolt cutters, forget about it. The steering lock is little more than a slight annoyance to thieves.

Something that's pretty easy and you can do yourself is check the needles. See here. Do you know if the shop re-jetted the carbs while it was in? Getting at the jets is a bit more involved but not horrible.

Thanks for the great advice. Sounds like a nice ride for the start of Spring!

And the shop did not rejet the carbs.

If the jetting is all stock, check the needles. I believe stock position is the third clip from the flat end. In fiddling with mine, I noticed even going one clip richer knocked like 10-15 miles off every tank for range.

The only other thing I can think of is the coast enrichment circuit could be malfunctioning and staying open all the time, but I'd think that would make it run really poorly.

Try sync'ing your carbs as well.

US model vmaxes do not have adjustable needles stock. Canada models do. You can shim stock needles to richen up the mid range but sounds like he needs to go the other way.

When my bike wasn't synced properly I got the same shitty gas mileage as you.

You want a good shop, I can personally recommend Motorbike Universe in Brooklyn. If it has two wheels they can fix it. I deal with them exclusively and not just for bikes.

Don

To get the lock barrel out you need to remove the lock cover (drill out the retaining rivet) and then put the key in the lock.

You can then withdraw the barrel and locking pin.

I hope that you are not relying on the steering lock to prevent theft?
It would deter only the most moronic of thieves; a couple of good pull on the bars can usually shear the pin.

Chain the bike to an immovable object if you want to keep it!

I wouldn't do that way. The cover has to bent lips to prevent turning around and just turning aft. Just straighten the forward one in order for you to be able to open the lid a bit more aft, after that push the lid upwards (it goes about a mm). You'll have enough clearance to twist and pull the lock outwards. No need to ruin the rivet...

Get a NY Kryptonite lock & chain ....@ least chain the drive shaft to a pole or something, since you can't or barely can go through the wheels. So glad I left NY.

Back