Stock silencer gasket questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photowood

Reaction score
I am replacing a smashed stock muffler set with a good used stock set (I want to keep one of my '05s stock). The replacement mufflers have the silencer gaskets in them but some are in pretty bad shape. I have reviewed all 21 pages of exhaust postings but found nothing about these gaskets. Should I plan on replacing all four of these and is there an easy way to remove the damaged ones and installing new ones? Any chance that when I remove the damaged set, the gaskets would be good and I could remove and use them again? Any thing anybody can tell me about these gaskets would be helpful. Incidentally, they are quite expensive. Thank you.

Normally you would reuse those gaskets. They can be replaced but as you noted they are expensive. I've only ever needed to replace a few (and i've had more then my fair share of exhausts off lol).

Sean

Not sure what they are made of? They almost feel like graphite. Either way, as long as that aren't crumbling apart they should be reusable

I am replacing a smashed stock muffler set with a good used stock set (I want to keep one of my '05s stock). The replacement mufflers have the silencer gaskets in them but some are in pretty bad shape. I have reviewed all 21 pages of exhaust postings but found nothing about these gaskets. Should I plan on replacing all four of these and is there an easy way to remove the damaged ones and installing new ones? Any chance that when I remove the damaged set, the gaskets would be good and I could remove and use them again? Any thing anybody can tell me about these gaskets would be helpful. Incidentally, they are quite expensive. Thank you.

I was in the same position last month. I bought four gaskets and spoiled one putting the mufflers back on. Had to go and buy another one.:bang head:

Make sure the gasket is a lose fit inside the mufflers so that they will slip on without binding. I took mine to a muffler shop and opened them up a small bit. Also doing it by yourself is a pain. If you have a buddie to give you a hand with it you will get them on a lot quicker than I did without spoiling them.
Not much to those gaskets for $20 each.

Also, don't even ever try getting those mufflers on:

a) on your own
b) without loosening the header pipes, at least two of them

Otherwise it's just about guaranteed to screw the gaskets if you can get them on at all..

Thank you everyone for your answers. I actually got 2 new silencer gaskets on eBay for $4.25. I hope I can salvage another two from the original damaged muffler.

Latest posts

Back