strange misfire at idle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
figured it out guys, stator is TOAST!! Measurements at idle are 19v, 21v, and 1.2v. guess shes seen better days. only went up to 4.2 volts at 3000 RPM.
Here's a question for you guys, when changing it out do you guys use new gaskets or just RTV the case?

thanks alot guys!

You will need the crankcase cover gasket, and the middle gear case gasket. I wouldn't take a chance using only an RTV sealant. Some of the mating surfaces are very narrow, and binding of the starter gears may occur if the clearances are reduced. I also used a thin coat of Permetex #2 (non-hardening), on each side of the gaskets.
Not a difficult job to change out the stator, just a few bumps in the road, such as stator bolts that won't move, and wires that need extra sealant. Do a search, read everything you can find, you will do O.K.
Cheers!

Yea, do be VERY careful with the 3 big Philips screws that hold the stator in place. You MUST have a GOOD QUALITY impact driver with correct Philips bit to get them out, and even then it takes some serious elbow grease to crack them open.

I got two out on my '86 and for a while thought the third was just not going to come out when I did it with Kyle. In the end it did come out but be prepared for a lot of swearing lol..

i've got a good impact driver, so i should be good. just ordered the stator and gaskets from Sean. Hopefully they get here soon, i'm missing valuable riding time! :moped2:

i changed out a stator on an old yammie sr500 a long time ago. i agree its not fun!! stator cover gasket was bad and let water inside...thats what killed it. glad you figured out the issue:clapping:

pulled the stator out today after work, yep shes toast! :eusa_dance:

but on the down side one of the freakin phillips heads snapped off in the stator cover...its one of those ones that holds the stupid tin peice in. i guess im dropping the cover off to the machine shop to have that yanked out tomorrow...:bang head:

Attachments

• stator.jpg
    stator.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 27
  • bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 27

Latest posts

Back