Strange VBoost Thing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnblaid

Reaction score
When I got my 1986 it had an old (and I mean Old) UNI air filter on it. The VBoost works but the self test when you turn the key on did not.

Only now it does. I just installed a new standard Yamaha paper filter from Cheap Cycle Parts. The VBoost Self Test started working at once.

Explain that.

i don't think that your Vboost self test has anything to do with the air filter. I think you shaked something else like a cable and started working. this means maybe it will stop again . i hope not though lol

You musta bumped one of the carb chains whilst changing out that filter. There can be no other explanation.

actually the carbs were cleaned by a mechanic previously using one of those ultrasonic cleaners. So I did nothing but remove the top and put in the new filter.

must be a coincidence.

I should never have posted this. Now it's stopped working. It's an 16 that had 19000 on it when it was purchased. it's about to turn 20000. I know VBoost works because my mechanic felt it. he also said not to push it that hard because the clutch was about to fail.

so I guess it will either loosen up as I ride it or fail and 300 bucks later, I'll have a new servo???

any comments?

Pull the left scoop, unplug the rounded connector and spray both sides of the plug with electrical contact cleaner. Let it dry a few minutes, with the key on, replug it and listen for it...
If you don't hear the "zzzzt-zzzzitt" trace the wires from the round plug and its black control box and also the lead that goes to the servo. It's all black plastic covered sort like shrink tubing. Just keep wiggling the wires up and down its length.
Could be a bad box (controller)

that was 1986. I've seen this controller innards from Canada for $189 on ebay...the wires look correct. you have to break your VBoost controller box apart and remove the old card and put this one in place.

anybody ever bought one of those?

I should never have posted this. Now it's stopped working. It's an 16 that had 19000 on it when it was purchased. it's about to turn 20000. I know VBoost works because my mechanic felt it. he also said not to push it that hard because the clutch was about to fail.

so I guess it will either loosen up as I ride it or fail and 300 bucks later, I'll have a new servo???
My v-boost servo didn't work when I bought my 89. I got some $$ off the price. I got home, got the servo in my hand and put 12 volts to it. Nothing. I gave it a good whack and it has worked for years.

Back